Two questions - upgrade

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
1. Is there any way to modify the behavior of the auto-merger? Some posts have gotten rather confusing because the poster didn't quote the message(s) they were replying to and then two messages get merged and it no longer makes sense. Also, it seems that I'm seeing the reply before the original message a LOT more often than before.

2. Can we get messages by e-mail yet?

Thanks,

flyingcheesehead said:
1. Is there any way to modify the behavior of the auto-merger? Some posts have gotten rather confusing because the poster didn't quote the message(s) they were replying to and then two messages get merged and it no longer makes sense. Also, it seems that I'm seeing the reply before the original message a LOT more often than before.

I've seen the reply before thing a few times too, but it sorts itself out with a refresh. I do however, second the modification of the automerge. I don't think we have a problem with spam on the boards really, and it does make some posts more difficult to read than they really should be.

My opinion....no attempt to defame the moderators.
2. Can we get messages by e-mail yet?

Thanks,

Thanks a good question - waiting with baited breath.

NickDBrennan said:
I've seen the reply before thing a few times too, but it sorts itself out with a refresh. I do however, second the modification of the automerge. I don't think we have a problem with spam on the boards really, and it does make some posts more difficult to read than they really should be.

My opinion....no attempt to defame the moderators.

Thanks a good question - waiting with baited breath.

Well, if it becomes a poll, I like the feature and haven't seen it miss or fail to quote, but I haven't read every post though. I'd vote to keep the mod.

If you reply using the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread, instead of the more advanced reply page, the page still does not properly refresh. This is a known issue with the particular hack and many vBulletin users are still waiting on a fix for it.

No email posts yet but now that the new version is up and running I need to put that on the front burner again.

Henning said:
Well, if it becomes a poll, I like the feature and haven't seen it miss or fail to quote, but I haven't read every post though. I'd vote to keep the mod.

I'd keep it too - I'd just like to see it insert "in reply to xxx" in between if the poster doesn't quote something, so that the posts don't look funny.

The other thing would be to order it so that the merged post is placed after the last replied message it contains so that you don't end up reading things in quotes before you see the original message.

And hooray for e-mail on the front burner! Let us know when the fire starts. :D

The other thing would be to order it so that the merged post is placed after the last replied message it contains so that you don't end up reading things in quotes before you see the original message.
I'm not following you - how do I reproduce this?

Greebo said:

Hmmm... I haven't had it happen to my posts, only to threads I read. I think the following would do it:

Make one post.

Make another post, non-merged.

Reply to the first post and the second post, and have them merged. Quote both.

When you go to read them, they'll be ordered like this:

first post
reply post (containing quote from second post)
second post.

I'll try to do this later after the auto-merge times out and I can make the second post.

EDIT: Okay, I can't demo this 'cuz it seems there is no timeout on the auto-merge (It's been 3 hours and it still merges).

Last edited:
Hmm its supposed to be a 1 hour time out.

I think I'll disable the automerge sometime today until some of the kinks get worked out.

Greebo said:

OK, here's an example. Look at the thread in Hangar Talk called "Is This a Cool-looking Skyhawk?"

I posted a message ("You never forget your first love, do you?") which is listed all the way at the end of the thread. Harley's reply was auto-merged into a post that's currently about 5 posts farther up the thread (posted at 12:05 PM). If you read the thread as it's ordered, you see my reply quoted in Harley's message before you actually see my message.

Back