Twin safety record

What SOP are you talking about? Have you clairvoyantly read ours?
I was wondering if the SOP you were operating under has that method as an official touch and go policy. It sounds reasonable. Less than that, though, I'd be interested to know how they justify them.

dtuuri

I was wondering if the SOP you were operating under has that method as an official touch and go policy. It sounds reasonable. Less than that, though, I'd be interested to know how they justify them.

dtuuri
They have been doing it this way since long before I started working here (which in itself is a long time). It's not "official" as in set in stone, but some of what we do is not, thankfully, although it has been moving in that direction.

What we all need is a Cirrus twin with a parachute.

Retractable gear or I won't fly it. Real pilots suck the gear up after it leaves the ground.

I do not do T&Gs in twins

Hell, I won't do touch & goes in a single. I think they develop a lot of bad habits since a lot of people never really finish landing before they're taking back off again. It's a rare runway (around here) that's not long enough for a single to do a stop & go.

Bring the plane to a full stop, reconfigure for take-off, do a quick flow check, and go. There's far less chance of doing something stupid this way.

Point is... There is nothing inherently wrong with touch & gos.

IMO...yes there is.

I
Hell, I won't do touch & goes in a single. I think they develop a lot of bad habits since a lot of people never really finish landing before they're taking back off again. It's a rare runway (around here) that's not long enough for a single to do a stop & go.

Bring the plane to a full stop, reconfigure for take-off, do a quick flow check, and go. There's far less chance of doing something stupid this way.
I am in this camp. I have never done a touch and go solo. There is no need to rush. That's just me. I am not saying others can't do it safely.

Risk and reward....choose wisely. Thats all....
Exactly! And since the reward in this case is maybe 30 seconds at the most...

The only time I would consider a T&G is if I was renting and the runway was too short for a stop and go. Then it likely saves at least $15 per landing. Besides, it's someone else's plane so the "slam and goes" aren't causing excessive damage to mine.

But, if the runway is long enough for a stop & go, then there is no advantage, IMO.

In that case I guess Swifts, Staggerwings, and a few others are the only planes that real pilots can fly! (retract taildraggers)

In that case I guess Swifts, Staggerwings, and a few others are the only planes that real pilots can fly! (retract taildraggers)

Even less in Ted's case since they have to have at least 2 engines. So we got what? Beech 18s and DC-3s?

Even less in Ted's case since they have to have at least 2 engines. So we got what? Beech 18s and DC-3s?

You forgot the C-46.

IMO...yes there is.

I have no problem with your choice, but I can think of a number of scenarios where knowing how to do that flow and being in practice enough to go back up quickly would enhance safety, not lower it.

The best example I can think of is the time I landed on a runway that had turned to a total snot bucket with snow that was refreezing. Power up for regaining rudder authority and clean it up and get the hell out of there before it went in the ditch.

It's a skillset folks should have in their back pocket if and when they need it. It's essentially a go-around with the wheels spinning (or sliding in my example) and folks don't do enough go-arounds and try to "save" things they should not, as it is.

It's the old "it's still flying until it's shut down and tied down" adage. If you can't hack flying it back off the ground from a rolling start, so to speak, you're not flying it all the way to the tie-down. IMHO. Just because the wheels touched down doesn't mean you're done flying.

No.

Beech 18.

Twin engine, high performance, retractable gear and tailwheel, all in a less than 12,000 lb gross weight (no type rating required) package.

Back