Twin emergency landing in Lodi?

CaptLabrador

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
Just got a message from a friend saying he saw a twin circling over Lodi Airports with smoke coming from one engine.

If anyone finds out more about this it'd be interesting to know what happened.

He said it would make him crap his pants, but that is why you have two engines :rofl:

Unless it turns into something major you might not hear anything specific about it.

I had a similar thing happen some time ago, the cause was the oil got onto the hot exhaust. The FAA or the news never heard anything about it.

Prolly the jump plane that operates from there. I'd think it would be a tough decision whether to land at the short, bumpy, no-equipment runways at Lodi or to try to make it to Mcclellan with 2 miles of runway and equipment 15 minutes away.

Prolly the jump plane that operates from there. I'd think it would be a tough decision whether to land at the short, bumpy, no-equipment runways at Lodi or to try to make it to Mcclellan with 2 miles of runway and equipment 15 minutes away.

What's the elevation in that area?

I'd think it would be a tough decision whether to land at the short, bumpy, no-equipment runways at Lodi or to try to make it to Mcclellan with 2 miles of runway and equipment 15 minutes away.

The jump plane is a twin Otter, don't think the runways at Lodi would be any challenge for him if that's who it was.

Unless it turns into something major you might not hear anything specific about it.
Or it could be something funny, like the powered chute that ran away and flew from KTCY to Lake Beriyessa. Supposedly other ultralight people took off to chase it, but lost it. Completely trivial, nobody was injured, but media loved that.

BTW, Lodi was the base of some kind of extremely shady skidiving operation, IIRC.

I've made my viewpoint extremely clear to my extended family - if you want to skydive, do it at Yolo, not Lodi.

Not sure i'd want to jump out of an airplane whose name so resembles the infamous last words "you only live once" :)

I've made my viewpoint clear to my extended family. If you must skydive, do it at Yolo, not Lodi.

+1 - I have had a bad experience with them actually taking off into me and thier track record is less than stellar.

I'm not overly fond of flying in to there myself.

But the owner has/had a P51 doesn't that mean anything anymore?:lol:

Their planes at Skydive Lodi blow. They used to have a Beech 99 or two. Wouldn't shock me if it was one of those planes in the least.

Yes, Lodi is known for something. I am not sure how flattering the song is, though. It is still kind of a blip on the side of the highway, but they are up to 60,000 people, now, I think. It is actually a nice field with a diner. It is a shame that they treat the pilot community the way they do. I know many pilots who won't go near there (myself included).

My wife and I had breakfast there a couple of weeks ago. The restaurant serves good, hearty food, the view of the runway, jumpers and old DC-3 is great, but as you said, the airport itself isn't all that nice. Runway two-six has a nice wavy surface that's been known to induce porpoising in unsuspecting student landings.

Then even on a single engine he shouldn't have a problem flying the airport with a long runway.
if you think there is a chance you are on fire you don't go one mile out of your way to land somewhere else.

if you think there is a chance you are on fire you don't go one mile out of your way to land somewhere else.

If you're on fire that's a different story, screw the airport just put it down somewhere.

Yes, Lodi is known for something. I am not sure how flattering the song is, though. It is still kind of a blip on the side of the highway, but they are up to 60,000 people, now, I think. It is actually a nice field with a diner. It is a shame that they treat the pilot community the way they do. I know many pilots who won't go near there (myself included).
I flew to Lodi two summers ago for a folk music concert at Micke Grove Park. I landed at Kingdon Airpark (O20) on the west side of town. Sleepy place, no diner, but it worked fine.

I flew to Lodi two summers ago for a folk music concert at Micke Grove Park. I landed at Kingdon Airpark (O20) on the west side of town. Sleepy place, no diner, but it worked fine.

I think we're talking about one-oscar-three.

You guys are all missing out big time. The apple pancakes and the pesto chicken sandwich are both awesome...

Not sure i'd want to jump out of an airplane whose name so resembles the infamous last words "you only live once" :)

Yolo County, CA has had the name a lot longer than YOLO has been an acronym. Heck, I'm a native of the county, and my kids will tell you I'm older than dirt.

Back