Twin down in Salt Lake City - no fatalities

Good to hear there are only minor injuries.

It will be interesting to learn what happened.

Lightly loaded twin, should be ok 1 engine, so hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad only minor injuries,waiting for full report,as opposed to speculation.

Glad only minor injuries,waiting for full report,as opposed to speculation.

I don't mind l speculation but not much to go on here!

Lightly loaded twin, should be ok 1 engine, so hmmm

I agree. An otherwise healthy 310 is one of the best single engine climbers in the light twin world. Maybe a total fuel starvation issue, the dead prop refused to feather, crappy OEI technique, etc. Guess we'll have to wait for more. Of course I always follow up on all 310 crashes to learn the how's/why's.

I agree. An otherwise healthy 310 is one of the best single engine climbers in the light twin world. Maybe a total fuel starvation issue, the dead prop refused to feather, crappy OEI technique, etc. Guess we'll have to wait for more. Of course I always follow up on all 310 crashes to learn the how's/why's.

Density altitudes out here have been pretty high this summer. Not a super hot day today, and the ATIS is saying the density altitude is 7300. That also is reported on one site to be the SE ceiling of the 310, not sure how accurate that is.

Density altitudes out here have been pretty high this summer. Not a super hot day today, and the ATIS is saying the density altitude is 7300. That also is reported on one site to be the SE ceiling of the 310, not sure how accurate that is.

The service ceiling in the book will be at gross. The pilot was flying solo apparently.
I fly the Rockies in my Aztec, keep a very close eye on SE performance, fly the plane light, and it makes a huge difference.

Yes the service ceiling will be reported at gross, but also with a new clean airframe and 2 new engines. Will be curious to see what happened. Just glad he flew it to a stop and escaped with little injury.

FlightAware's "position-only" tracking shows at least two flights for this aircraft over the SLC area last week, both a series of tight back-and-forth patterns over the Great Salt Lake and surrounding cities. It's a good bet the aircraft was carrying camera and/or sensing equipment.

Interestingly (or not) this accident hasn't popped up yet on ASIAS, either.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8170M/history/20170823/1504Z

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f...RY_DATE,P96_FATAL_FLG,P96_MAKE_NAME:25-AUG-17

How sensational can you get - she opens with:

"The NTSB reports that in the last 5 years nearly 40 people have died in Utah as the result of small plane crashes".

Over the same 5 year period:
Poisoning deaths: 2980
Motor vehicle fatalities: 1189
Pedestrian fatalities: 146
Motorcycle fatalities: 157
Fatal occupational injuries: 217

But no, it's the small airplanes that are killing people off in droves.

Back