Twin Comanche - Left Seater

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
I'll be looking to sell my Apache in the near future and will be (hopefully) looking to buy a twin comanche. (Reasons: speed good, gas burn about the same, maintenance probably the same, 4 adults or 3 adults and 2 dogs make up 80% of the trips).

I saw Sara's post a figured hey why not start a thread about Twin Comanches. Any thoughts on the differences between the two that I should watch for during the transition? My multi time is about 60 hours all in the Apache.

Okay, so more about why Twinkies are awesome:

1) You'll be going 20-30 knots faster on the same fuel burn as the Apache. A lot of that is due to replacing the big fat wing with a nice sleek laminar-flow one. Of course, they also made the cowlings smaller and the gear retracts out of the slipstream too...

2) I think your maintenance might be a bit cheaper. You'll no longer have a hydraulic system, no expensive prop AD, etc. and while a Twinkie is still pretty old, it's newer than an Apache!

3) Did I mention you'll be going a lot faster?

There's a Twinkie available for the taking at 04V. It might need a little work but I imagine the locals will be happy to see it removed.

I grew up with a PA30 and really wanted one when we go this plane, but with no nose baggage we just couldn't fit into it. So we got a travel air.

TC doesn't fly like an Aztec. Get a good instructor with TC experience. Don't expect the same load hauling ability, either, but you get better speed for the same fuel. IOW, different answers to different questions.

I will tag along with the Twinkies are AWESOME sentiment.

I did my ME rating in a PA30. Great trainer, great x-country airplane. After a few hours, you'll get the landing down (not the easiest to make a smooth landing the first time out, but once you have a good feel for it in the flare and you'll be golden).

If you are serious about a Twinkie, join the International Comanche Society and find an experienced Twinkie A&P IA to do the pre-buy. Only bad thing about them is like many twins these days, not all of them have been well cared for. There are a few problem areas that you need to watch out for and the ICS folks can help you spot those.

Twinkie is Ok, but a Travelair is a better plane IMO.
Other than it is easier to land and possibly more comfortable inside, why do you think a BE-95 is better?

I like them both, but I would have to say I like the speed and handling of the PA30 a little better.

Other than it is easier to land and possibly more comfortable inside, why do you think a BE-95 is better?

I like them both, but I would have to say I like the speed and handling of the PA30 a little better.

Nose baggage and the way they fly on top of general construction quality.

Back