TV News Pilot Saves Deer

Re: Betcha can't do this with your Cessna!

Great story! I would have liked to see how he controlled the bird, keeping it near the ground while producing enough thrust to push the deer.

Before the Atlanta Olympics, Stone Mountain placed a temporary "facility" on top of the mountain while they rebuilt the existing restrooms. It was a heavy, six-unit structure which required a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane. As it spun up, no big deal as it appeared. Then, there was more wind as it lifted off the ground. After it centered over the load and hooked, it began to produce incredible wind. I made the mistake of leaving the windows open on my truck and paid for it with an incredible dust storm. In the end, it was probably the cleanest that parking lot had been since it's creation.

Never underestimate the power of rotor wash, Ken. Even our little 4 seat R44 produces enough rotor wash in a hover to possibly cause a J-3 Cub or other lightweight fixed wing to flip over!

Next headline will read "Pilot charged with game harrassment by DNR - helicopter seized. "

There's supposedly a guy that sneaks a little Canadian goose hunting by forcing them down from the air and onto the ground with his ship's rotorwash.

The wife & I got a good laugh watching it on the local news last night. I think it was the night before they showed the pilot & several others trying to dig enough ice away so they could even get the helo out of its hanger at the station.

Back