Turning off the runway after landing

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
This should be a quick one. You land at a controlled field. ATIS says landing and departing runway 31, no mention of the other runway. After the groundroll, you want to get off the runway as soon as is feasible. What if the closest turn off is the intersecting runway, not a taxiway. Should you putter along on 31 for another 1000 feet until the next taxiway, or go to the other runway?

This happened to me at RDG a few weeks ago. I landed 31 and was slow enough for a right turn onto 36, but instead taxied to D before leaving 31. I figured that 31 was still all mine, and since I didnt know what was happening on 36 I'd stay clear.

Attachments

• 00627AD.PDF
    110.7 KB · Views: 19
I'm under the impression that an intersecting runway can't be used for taxi purposes unless clearance is granted by ATC.

This should be a quick one. You land at a controlled field. ATIS says landing and departing runway 31, no mention of the other runway. After the groundroll, you want to get off the runway as soon as is feasible. What if the closest turn off is the intersecting runway, not a taxiway. Should you putter along on 31 for another 1000 feet until the next taxiway, or go to the other runway?

This happened to me at RDG a few weeks ago. I landed 31 and was slow enough for a right turn onto 36, but instead taxied to D before leaving 31. I figured that 31 was still all mine, and since I didnt know what was happening on 36 I'd stay clear.

Guess you missed the "Exiting on Reverse High Speed" Thread, yesterday...:D

You must receive permission to exit on an intersecting runway. If not requested or authorization obtained, turn off at the next available taxiway.

4-3-20. Exiting the Runway After Landing
The following procedures must be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots must not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first obtaining ATC approval
We run into a similar scenario where I teach. I tell my students to plan on turning off on the taxiway farther down the runway but to request right on runway 28 if the frequency is not blocked.

To the OP: You did good. Never exit a runway onto another runway at a controlled field without explicit approval from ATC.

Thanks everyone. Didnt catch that thread. I searched before making this thread, but didnt catch that one. I guess now "everyone here knows" the answer.

Your other option was to go Left on to Juliet, just passed 36-18. If you had to expedite exiting the runway for a jet coming in behind you or something, but otherwise, if you were going to the museum you did fine.

I've requested to get off at Delta all the way down at RWY 18 end, after making sure I landed long on 36 that day;),... and just taxied with my Father in Law down Delta, right onto Charlie, crossing back over 13-31, then all the way back Bravo, just so he could see the planes parked outside :) Tower guy thought I was lost asking for all those clearances so I could go get some lunch :lol:

In my experience, if the tower needs you to clear the runway sooner than later, they will tell you to exit onto the x-runway. As others have said, barring them telling you to do that, you either ask to exit onto the x-runway or you keep on trucking to the next actual taxiway.

There are no "Quick responses" on PoA boards. Trust me I've asked simple questions and I get an average of 2 pages. (This is only post 10 so it shouldn't go on for long)

And what if the airport is has no atc?

Even if someone has announced for the intersecting runway? :popcorn:
Then 91.113 comes into play, and you don't enter a runway for which another aircraft is already on final. How do you know another aircraft is already on final? All available tools, including radios and eyeballs.

I have already been told to do a 180 and then exit the taxiway I just passed. But then again, I fly a 150 out of there , so I'm always getting the extended legs of the pattern when it starts to get busy , and by the time I get cleared to land , nothing else is behind me.

I have already been told to do a 180 and then exit the taxiway I just passed.

That happened the second time I landed at our controlled field. Tower told me to exit the runway at D, just as I got about even with it. No way I could make the turn (now I'm faster to raise the flaps and get on ghe brakes, live and learn). I was just about to tell them "unable" and ask for the next taxiway when my instructor asked if we could back taxi. Got permission, did a quick 180 and backtracked the 40 yards or so to D.

If you are flying a small plane and landing at a large airport, just float down the runway and then touch down on the high speed. It keeps the 777's from running you over.

From my experience, which is somewhat limited, either tower or ground will tell you which taxiway to take. They usually wait for you to have slowed to a reasonable speed. There isnt a whole lot you can do at a controlled field that you actually have to think about. Anything that might be considered a maneuvering decision, they will make it for you. Aside from "you have the option".

Back