Turn off-A da bubble machine-a!

If I was younger it looks like it would have been a great playground for the afternoon :D

cool, but how are you supposed to arrange to just have a fire under one of those three foam fountains??

kevin47881 said:
If I was younger it looks like it would have been a great playground for the afternoon :D

That still looks like fun. :goofy: Hide and seek in there or riding a bicycle through it could be loads of entertainment.

Grown-up n. 1. BORING

Last edited:
etsisk said:
cool, but how are you supposed to arrange to just have a fire under one of those three foam fountains??

Apparently it doesn't matter when the system will just fill the entire building with foam! :rofl:

Now for you "grown-ups," what's stopping you? You don't stop laughing because you get old, you get old because you stop laughing. Now go play in the yard and work some of those wrinkles off. :goofy: ;)

Give new meaning to FOAM PARTIES!!!!!

That reminds me of last year when my brother started a fire at RDU. He said the BIG fire truck with the nozel on top came and put it out for him.

That must have been great when someone finally opend the hanger doors and saw a giant foam wall come rolling out!!!

So how did they clean it up? Fire hoses?

A wanna and a two-a and tree-a for all you Lawrence Welk fans

mikea said:
Test of a Fire Fighting Foam system at Ellsworth AFB. This was only supposed to last a few seconds, but the system would not shut-off.

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_20064611181.asp

So this is what I thought as I looked at the pics.
1) the guys on the photo platform did not leave themselves a way out.
2) the foam is a fire suppressant so how well can you breathe if it is over your head, not too well I would guess.
3) why doesn't someone just open the doors?

Then I saw that eventually someone did.

Looks like the system works just fine.

Now for the real story:

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123019124

Foam test e-mail overflows with perception problems

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by 28th Bomb Wing Public Affairs and Air Combat Command Public Affairs

4/14/2006 - ELLSWORTH AIR FORCE BASE, S.D. -- Mark Twain once said, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." In today's e-mail society, that is literally true, as Airmen here have discovered.

Photos of a B-1 hangar here filled with more bubbles than a dinosaur-sized hot tub, complete with people standing on top of rafters in the building as foam rises, have been circulating around e-mail inboxes with a subject line of "Building Fire Alarm Foaming Gone WRONG!!!"

However, the truth may seem stranger than fiction. The hangar was filled with foam on purpose. The misleading e-mail has caused considerable work in correcting wrong information, said 1st Lt. Carrie Kessler, 28th Bomb Wing Public Affairs deputy chief.

A modern high-expansion foam system was placed in the hangar to replace an aging fire suppression system, said Lt. Col. Navnit Singh, 28th Civil Engineer Squadron commander. The contractor responsible for installing the system submitted a plan for a test procedure prior to installation, which was approved, he added.

The test of the new foam system was conducted Aug. 23. The required coverage occurred within one minute of the system being activated. The test was so successful the foam reached the observation platform where officials were documenting the procedure.

The Air Force required a minimum of one meter of foam to be achieved in four minutes or less. For testing purposes, the foam was allowed to disperse for the full four minutes.

The observers were surprised at how quickly the system generated the fire suppressing foam, said Colonel Singh. The system worked so well, the exterior door of the hangar was opened before the test was fully completed. This resulted in the photos of the amount of foam inside and outside of the hangar.

The fire suppression system would be responsible for helping protect vital mission-essential assets and helping safeguard Airmen's lives. It exceeded Air Force standards, Colonel Singh said. The misrepresentation of this test has raised the level of awareness about the far-reaching effects of e-mail and technology.

Master Sgt. Dana Rogers, 28th Communications Squadron superintendent of network security, said e-mails such as the one depicting the foam test "misrepresent our capabilities" and can even damage computer networks. "You think it's so funny, so you send it to 10 people. Then, they send it to 10 more. This takes up an extremely large amount of e-mail space and can lead to the loss of a resource," he said.

Another aspect of e-mails that miscommunicate facts is the amount of time someone may have to take in order to set the record straight. An e-mail that took two seconds to send caused a large number of man-hours to fix.

There is definitely the potential for a loss in duty hours for people in leadership positions, Sergeant Rogers said. Mr. Mark Wheeler, 28th CES deputy commander agreed. "A CES commander's schedule is very demanding," said Mr. Wheeler. "Any time spent responding to an incident like this is a drain on a very precious resource: time."

Mr. Wheeler said Colonel Singh spent more than 20 hours investigating this incident, and there were many more hours of investigation done by other members of the squadron who were attempting to re-trace steps and gather facts that would lead to the truth of the matter surrounding the pictures of the foam test.

Instead of focusing on this circulating e-mail, Mr. Wheeler said Colonel Singh's time could have been better spent.

"Lt. Col. Singh and the entire squadron have spent too much time on this issue," he explained. The lesson from this issue is Airmen should think about what they are sending out before hitting the "send" button.

"Before you create an e-mail based upon some pictures you have or partial information you have come across, you should ask yourself if you are really in a position to explain what is happening and why," Lieutenant Kessler said. "The Air Force of today is extremely busy, and dealing with an issue like this takes us away from focusing on the mission and taking care of our Airmen."

Back