Turn Coordinator power draw?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Ive come across a Turn Coordinator for sale for about 150 bucks. Seems pretty cheap, it is a used unit of course, but works. Anyone have an idea of what kind of power draw I can expect? Its a 12V DC unit of course. I couldnt find any reference on a google search for how many amps it would pull. its an Electric Gyro, Model 1394T100-(5Y). Thanks!

Planning on doing a bit of cloud flying in the glider, Tony? I guess you could do that with a transponder and a turn coordinator. It's certainly been done that way before. How much is a used transponder? All the gliders in NZ seem to have transponders, but nobody uses them outside controlled airspace due to current draw.

Chris

yea maybe chris. used transponders are still pricey. technically wouldnt be required for IFR flight in Class E but it would be a lot easier to have one.

lots of the guys out west fly with transponders too, and some of them dont leave them on all the time (which btw is violation of FARs). The guy in the ASH-29 who got whacked by a Hawker jet is probably wishing he wouldve had his turned on...

I haven't done my IR training yet, so I didn't know you could fly IFR with no transponder. That is very surprising (and maybe not a great idea, even if it's legal). How does ATC provide separation? Or if they don't, how are you supposed to avoid pranging another IFR flight in a cloud? Is it all just based on giving clearances and trusting that people will follow them?

Chris

ive done one IFR flight with a transponder that failed. have also done multiple flights out of radar coverage. basically they give you a clearance, you fly it. they often will have you report over or abeam VOR's or NDB's so they can keep track of your progress. When you get in radar, they usually can get a primary return off your airplane so they just have to believe you that you are at the altitude you say you are at. i suspect they probably have higher vertical separation minimums in this case.

Back