Turbocharger powered turboprop?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I had lunch with a friend of mine today, and we got to talking about turbocharger-based turbine engines. People use automotive turbochargers and fabricate a combustor between the outlet of the compressor (intake) side and the inlet of the turbine (exhaust) side. They're pretty neat, but do little other than produce a whole ton of noise then some sort of PTO needs to fabricated. Of course, what would be cooler than to attach a propeller to it and have a turboprop for your little experimental aircraft?

It's just an idea. It would require a good sum of work (both on fabricating the engine and then also on adding a prop to it) but it would be a neat alternative to a Rotax, and be a whole lot cooler. If you were designing a homebuilt from scratch it would be more practical.

Hey, there's an idea - make a mini King Air homebuilt. Roughly Aztec sized, 6 passenger, with mini turbo props. I think I've figured out my home build. :)

It sounds like a hell of a lot more work for less reliability than a small ready made turbine, like a few of the minis or one of the APUs available. Even then, the additional weight to carry additional fuel for their typically significantly higher fuel consumption has historically made turbines impractical for really useful 2-4 seaters with any real range and payload. I'd like to see any exceptions that might exist.

I was less talking about the practicality factor and more about the "cool" factor, especially for a homebuilt for which practicality may be less of a concern.

I wasn't aware of tiny turbines, I'll look those up a bit.

Just for reference - I'm not being particularly serious here, just feeding my brain with entertainment. :)

I was less talking about the practicality factor and more about the "cool" factor, especially for a homebuilt for which practicality may be less of a concern.

I wasn't aware of tiny turbines, I'll look those up a bit.

Just for reference - I'm not being particularly serious here, just feeding my brain with entertainment. :)

Probably should consider a turbo/electric hybrid in that event!

Innodyn has one of the coolest looking vaporware products on the market. They've been "just about to start manufacturing" for years now, so don't hold your breath, but if they ever get on the market, it'll be sweet.

Innodyn has one of the coolest looking vaporware products on the market. They've been "just about to start manufacturing" for years now, so don't hold your breath, but if they ever get on the market, it'll be sweet.
They flew their turboprop SuperCub to OSH a few years ago. Said they'd flown it there at 17,500 feet. Don't recall what airspeed they said they had, and they wouldn't say what fuel burn was.

Those are neat little turbines. At 188 lbs, the 255 hp one is competitive with a 540/520. That would make a neat option. Something to think about. :)

They flew their turboprop SuperCub to OSH a few years ago. Said they'd flown it there at 17,500 feet. Don't recall what airspeed they said they had, and they wouldn't say what fuel burn was.
No doubt they have a couple of working prototypes, I've seen video, but prototypes <> production.

7 gallons per 100 hp is typical they claim, in their own FAQs.

Last edited:
Back