Turbo Cessna 182 T IFR power/speed settings?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Cessna T182T IFR power/speed settings?

Anyone have a good base reference for the climb, cruise, descent numbers on a Turbo 182T?

Well, I guess since no bites yet and 70+ views, I will explain a bit more. Looking for the MP and RPM settings for IFR flight for my training:

1. Normal Cruise:
2. Normal Cruise Climb:
3. Normal Cruise Descent:
4. Approach Speed at 90 Kts:
5. Approach Climb at 90 Kts:
6. Approach Descent at 90 Kts:

I am planning on doing this in the next few days, but thought if someone had a good setup that worked it could help me save some time in the air.

Last edited:
Deriving those numbers yourself is a valuable learning experience.

Bob Gardner

Bob Gardner

I don't think I have much of an option. :D I did indeed plan on doing that, was just hoping to see a baseline idea from some others on here. Seems as though this is Top Secret information. :dunno:

turbo 182's aren't super common

you would probably have 50 replies and a thread derailment or two by now if you posted about a N/A 182

You can try contacting the manufacturer, see what they recommend.

Have you searched for POH online? wish I could recall what I used for mine 4 months ago, only numbers in brain right now are the saratoga I flew home today.

I will try and remember a little and let you know. I did always fly out at 800-900 feet / minute on climb out in DAs 7500-9500 here in Steamboat.

Bob Gardner

I agree with Bob, I did this and it makes life so much easier and allows you to learn so much with your aircraft.

Sorry I'm just pooped right now and can't recall. I want to say 12 inches MP and 2400 rpm is what I planned in pattern. This set me up for 500/ decent and I rarely had to touch anything else just add flaps until final.

Re: Cessna T182T IFR power/speed settings?

Anyone have a good base reference for the climb, cruise, descent numbers on a Turbo 182T?

Well, I guess since no bites yet and 70+ views, I will explain a bit more. Looking for the MP and RPM settings for IFR flight for my training:

1. Normal Cruise:
2. Normal Cruise Climb:

I am planning on doing this in the next few days, but thought if someone had a good setup that worked it could help me save some time in the air.

As you look in the POH, there are many many combinations available. So, I pick one or two for normal use such that I know what it is without having to look or spend a lot of time finding the TIT peak etc...

1. Normal Cruise:
For slow, 20", 2100 rpm, and lean to about 10gph then fine tune to 1585 TIT.
Medium cruise, 24", 2100 rpm and lean to about 12gph then fine tune to 1585 TIT.
Fast cruise - 26", 2200 rom and lean to about 14gph, then fine tune to 1585 TIT..

2. Normal Cruise Climb:

25", 2400 rpm, 16gph, then increase mix a few tenths if necessary to keep TIT at 1585 or less.

Reduce throttle as necessary 500 fpm, maintain AS. Anticipate descent and open cowl flaps a few minutes ahead. Then, as descent begins, close cowl flaps.

90 kts.

??

Flaps 20 deg, throttle back to minimum TIT green. -500fpm
I'm re-considering less flaps and allowing less than green TIT because flaps show some minor cracks at annual.

As you look in the POH, there are many many combinations available. So, I pick one or two for normal use such that I know what it is without having to look or spend a lot of time finding the TIT peak etc...

1. Normal Cruise:
For slow, 20", 2100 rpm, and lean to about 10gph then fine tune to 1585 TIT.
Medium cruise, 24", 2100 rpm and lean to about 12gph then fine tune to 1585 TIT.
Fast cruise - 26", 2200 rom and lean to about 14gph, then fine tune to 1585 TIT..

2. Normal Cruise Climb:

25", 2400 rpm, 16gph, then increase mix a few tenths if necessary to keep TIT at 1585 or less.

Reduce throttle as necessary 500 fpm, maintain AS. Anticipate descent and open cowl flaps a few minutes ahead. Then, as descent begins, close cowl flaps.

90 kts.

??

Flaps 20 deg, throttle back to minimum TIT green. -500fpm
I'm re-considering less flaps and allowing less than green TIT because flaps show some minor cracks at annual.

I'm not sure you understand what I am looking for or maybe I did a bad job explaining. Do you have you IR? I'm working towards mine and now that I have this new plane, I need to figure out the numbers to kinda stick with. I'm asking about speeds and power settings that retain the same cruise speeds and descent speeds etc.

Something like:
normal cruise at 130 KIAS: use (bs number) 22" and 2100 RPM
normal cruise climb at 130 KIAS: use (another bs number) 24" and 2100 RPM

stuff like that. ;)

Its really no big deal if nobody has something for me to base off of. I do plan to go up in the next couple days if the weather holds up and establish those numbers. just looking to see what others are/were using to base mine off of.

I don't think I have much of an option. :D I did indeed plan on doing that, was just hoping to see a baseline idea from some others on here. Seems as though this is Top Secret information. :dunno:
It's not "Top Secret", but giving you numbers spoils part of the learning experience. Just go figure it out for yourself, and you'll learn a lot more than if you're being spoon fed the information.

It's not "Top Secret", but giving you numbers spoils part of the learning experience. Just go figure it out for yourself, and you'll learn a lot more than if you're being spoon fed the information.

I respect that!

I'm not sure you understand what I am looking for or maybe I did a bad job explaining. Do you have you IR? I'm working towards mine and now that I have this new plane, I need to figure out the numbers to kinda stick with. I'm asking about speeds and power settings that retain the same cruise speeds and descent speeds etc.

Something like:
normal cruise at 130 KIAS: use (bs number) 22" and 2100 RPM
normal cruise climb at 130 KIAS: use (another bs number) 24" and 2100 RPM

stuff like that. ;)

Its really no big deal if nobody has something for me to base off of. I do plan to go up in the next couple days if the weather holds up and establish those numbers. just looking to see what others are/were using to base mine off of.

Yes, got the IR last year. Still low time IR, and only about 300 hours in the T182T. Still got stuff to learn too.

One thing to keep in mind is that the airplane doesn't fly any different IFR than it does VFR. Do you have the POH? The numbers for cruise and climb are in there. For descent, you will need to determine that yourself.

Cruise climb is about 95 Kias, 2400 rpm, 16 gph, and 25"MP. This yields about 500 fpm climb. You are not going to get near 130 KIAS and yield a sustained climb rate. With full power, and maximum climb you will be even slower (about 82 KIAS)

Yes, got the IR last year. Still low time IR, and only about 300 hours in the T182T. Still got stuff to learn too.

One thing to keep in mind is that the airplane doesn't fly any different IFR than it does VFR. Do you have the POH? The numbers for cruise and climb are in there. For descent, you will need to determine that yourself.

Cruise climb is about 95 Kias, 2400 rpm, 16 gph, and 25"MP. This yields about 500 fpm climb. You are not going to get near 130 KIAS and yield a sustained climb rate. With full power, and maximum climb you will be even slower (about 82 KIAS)

Sorry for the mistake. I was told before my next lesson to have these numbers down. I was also told I needed to find a good speed that would allow the climb , cruise and descent to be the same speed. Maybe I misunderstood. From what your saying I wont be able to keep a normal cruise speed during a 500 fpm climb unless using 95 KIAS as my normal cruise. :eek:

Sorry for the mistake. I was told before my next lesson to have these numbers down. I was also told I needed to find a good speed that would allow the climb , cruise and descent to be the same speed. Maybe I misunderstood. From what your saying I wont be able to keep a normal cruise speed during a 500 fpm climb unless using 95 KIAS as my normal cruise. :eek:

Yea, I understand that having those numbers would be ideal. You could run full power at 500fpm at a higher speed. Unfortunately, I don't know what that speed is. It is not in the POH, nor what I normally do. If I'm running full power, it is because I need more than 500 fpm climb such as a missed approach. Once at sufficient altitude, I can back off to cruise climb power. You can probably come up with the same numbers for all phases, just not likely near 130kias. Maybe somewhere between 105 to 115 Kias. I'll have to check that again next time I go up...

Kind of funny I found this current topic through a Google search just now...going for my CPL ride soon, and wanted to see what power settings other people were using for different phases of flight. In my T182T, I get a great all-around cruise at about what I call "23²", or 23-23.5"MP @ 2300RPM. Leaned properly, that yields around 13gph at 8,000 and above, which is typically around where I cruise XC. This seems to be the best combination of speed and economy I've been able to find.

Well, trying to keep with an simple 2200 RPM setting for most stages of flight, I have come up with these numbers to use. Took me a while of flying to narrow this down and I am not sure if its good or not since I still need to review them with my CFII. But for those that want some type of baseline numbers, this may be helpful. Obviously the T182T will go faster, but I wanted speeds that would not be too hard on the motor and keep me in front of the airplane during the rest of my IFR training.

High Cruise
ALT MP RPM GPH KIAS KTAS FPM %BHP Cowl-F Wing-F H-Bars
5500’ 28” 2200 15.2 136 146 --- 83 Closed Up ---
7,500’ 27” 2200 14.3 131 146 --- 79 Closed Up ---
10,500’ 25” 2200 13.1 124 146 --- 76 Closed Up ---

High Cruise Climb
- 15,000’ 32” 2400 24 --- Open Up
+ 15,000’ 27” 2400 24 --- Open Up
--- 26” 2200 16 103 --- [119] +500 --- Open Up +1

High Cruise Descent