Tulsa Harvey Young Airport

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Hey, just wondering if anyone has been to Harvey Young on the east side of Tulsa in the recent past. I'm planning on flying into Tulsa quite a bit to visit the wife's folks, and 1H6 is in an ideal location, just a couple miles from the in-laws. I've been by there recently by land and it pretty much looks like a ghost town, which is a cryin' shame considering how bustling it used to be, but I didn't check out the runway condition. Airnav indicates that the runway is in rough shape, but if it's not too terrible, I'd like to park the 182 there while were in town., once a month or so. My other concern would be security. It doesn't appear to be very secure, and the neighborhood doesn't look really great. Jones/Riverside is just not very handy, and I'd prefer the smaller airport. Any of you guys or gals have any input? I know there are some Tulsa/BA boys here. What say you? 'Preciate it.

That place was in rough condition a decade ago. I don't think I've heard of anyone other than a few ultralight guys using it with any regularity. I wouldn't worry about the neighborhood as most people don't even know it exists. Perhaps claremore or gundys in Owasso might be a better option? It is a shame that Harvey Young fell into such disrepair.

That place was in rough condition a decade ago. I don't think I've heard of anyone other than a few ultralight guys using it with any regularity. I wouldn't worry about the neighborhood as most people don't even know it exists. Perhaps claremore or gundys in Owasso might be a better option? It is a shame that Harvey Young fell into such disrepair.

Nah, my in-laws are in the 21st & Sheridan area, so Gundy's, Claremore, and Jones are pretty much all equally unhandy. If 1H6 is too horrendous, we may just drive it as we've always done, or maybe just fly once in a while for kicks and giggles, and park at Jones. I reckon I should just take a little walk on the runway and check it out for myself next time I'm up there. Thanks.

It was a ghost town in the mid-90's.

If they live at 21st and Sheridan, use KTUL. Not as busy as Riverside and plenty of good FBOs. You'll likely get the westside runway (18R/36L) and be right by the FBOs. There are other threads on here of folks that used KTUL with good experiences.

It was a ghost town in the mid-90's.

If they live at 21st and Sheridan, use KTUL. Not as busy as Riverside and plenty of good FBOs. You'll likely get the westside runway (18R/36L) and be right by the FBOs. There are other threads on here of folks that used KTUL with good experiences.

I was going to suggest the same, however the fees could be higher at KTUL vs Riverside. Harvey Young would probably be $5/day tie down, lol.

Agree with the suggestion of KTUL. Harvey Young also has a north/south grass strip that is just east of the asphalt. Airnav says it is 2500 ft. My son and his instructor have used the grass there and had no complaints. If you go walk the asphalt, you might check out the grass, too.

Agree with the suggestion of KTUL. Harvey Young also has a north/south grass strip that is just east of the asphalt. Airnav says it is 2500 ft. My son and his instructor have used the grass there and had no complaints. If you go walk the asphalt, you might check out the grass, too.

I didn't even notice the grass strip when I checked airnav. I may just use that the first time. Thanks :thumbsup:

I did a little recon for you at lunch today: runway is rugged but still very usable, the taxiway is where you might need to be a bit more cautious. Grass strip (east of runway) is in great shape and looked very serviceable in the 150-200yds I walked. I talked to a couple of gentlemen working on an experimental of some sort in a hangar and they said the grass runway is in good shape, but the paved runway is usable too, unless you're just worried about possibly blowing some loose asphalt around with the prop. I was pleasantly surprised.

4FAC81E8-6B47-4CF2-A3AA-2D2FB5187A2D_zpsfzzu6oma.jpg

5848D6FB-5F5F-4056-A904-8F92BBF380E1_zps4nokkhhg.jpg

725D24FB-2332-41AA-A66B-C6AE1AD89F46_zpsh0kf1m0p.jpg

Went into KTUL from Houston last month on the best day for awhile weather wise and it was like HUB time at O'Hair...but they worked all the traffic in efficiently although I had to do a 360 on final for spacing...nice facility and close to town.

Went into KTUL from Houston last month on the best day for awhile weather wise and it was like HUB time at O'Hair...but they worked all the traffic in efficiently although I had to do a 360 on final for spacing...nice facility and close to town.

Yeah, it really depends on timing. The volume of traffic they deal with is much smaller than KRVS, so KTUL can be easier to get into. Although I've only flown into KTUL once under GA recently with DBarbee, so my experience is limited.

SoonerAviator, that is mighty kind of you to go check the runway out for me! Thank you so much for doing that. I need to buy you a beer or a steak or both.

Based on your pics, I'd say 1H6 is the field we'll be using. It looks like the asphalt is in good enough shape for me. The taxiways at my field have almost been reduced to gravel in some areas, so that's not a big deal. I very much prefer a smaller airport too. Thanks so much for the info and suggestions, guys.

SoonerAviator, that is mighty kind of you to go check the runway out for me! Thank you so much for doing that. I need to buy you a beer or a steak or both.

Based on your pics, I'd say 1H6 is the field we'll be using. It looks like the asphalt is in good enough shape for me. The taxiways at my field have almost been reduced to gravel in some areas, so that's not a big deal. I very much prefer a smaller airport too. Thanks so much for the info and suggestions, guys.

No problem at all, I had to run and grab some stuff from my soon-to-be rental house in northeast BA, so it wasn't too far out of the way. Neighborhood immediately around the airport seemed fine to me, too. Older 50's/60's houses, but in good condition in a quiet area so I wouldn't worry much about theft/vandalism despite little Mexico starting up a mile to the west. They appear to have a large amount of hangar space there, too, which might be available instead of tie-down if necessary.

No problem at all, I had to run and grab some stuff from my soon-to-be rental house in northeast BA, so it wasn't too far out of the way. Neighborhood immediately around the airport seemed fine to me, too. Older 50's/60's houses, but in good condition in a quiet area so I wouldn't worry much about theft/vandalism despite little Mexico starting up a mile to the west. They appear to have a large amount of hangar space there, too, which might be available instead of tie-down if necessary.

Yes sir, I was hoping I could at least put the plane under one of those old sheds to the west of the main t-hangars. It would be better than leaving it out in the sun. I'll just have to give them a call and see what the deal is. Thanks again for the report.

I ran across this, and thought it was interesting:
http://youtu.be/H5G67szxApk

Back