TSH level

U

Unregistered

Dr Bruce,

I have hypothyroidism that is well controlled by Synthroid. My TSH level at my annual checkup last July was 1.11. I won't be going back to the Endocrinologist until July of this year, but I'll be going for my FAA medical within a month. Are TSH levels from 9 months ago considered current, or should I get new bloodwork done prior to going to the AME?

Unregistered said:
Dr Bruce,

I have hypothyroidism that is well controlled by Synthroid. My TSH level at my annual checkup last July was 1.11. I won't be going back to the Endocrinologist until July of this year, but I'll be going for my FAA medical within a month. Are TSH levels from 9 months ago considered current, or should I get new bloodwork done prior to going to the AME?

Well, from nine months ago you could get a three month issuance. Hardly seems worth it. Get 'em synchronized and go early for the TSH. The Endocrinologists' staff ought to be able to issue the order w/o your even having to appear. You will also, though, need a current status statement from the Endocrine- so you might as well just get the test, show up, and get synchronized.

It's an eternal problem.

bbchien said:
Well, from nine months ago you could get a three month issuance. Hardly seems worth it. Get 'em synchronized and go early for the TSH. The Endocrinologists' staff ought to be able to issue the order w/o your even having to appear. You will also, though, need a current status statement from the Endocrine- so you might as well just get the test, show up, and get synchronized.

It's an eternal problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess it makes sence to get synchronized. I didn't realize they issuance would only be for a year from the date of the last TSH.

It's from 90 days or less, plus one year, from the last Endocrine assessment, which of course has to include the TSH.

Is this likely to get defered, or can the AME issue at the time of the exam?

Unregistered said:
Is this likely to get defered, or can the AME issue at the time of the exam?

It depends on the content of the reauthorization letter. I hope you have it already- it states the terms and what the AME can do, what testing and what needs to be in the letter from the Endocrinologist.

FAA is getting very slow with there- I have some airmen who barely get them 90 days before the annual issue expires. If you don't have yours yet, get on the phone to FAA 405-954-4821 and bug them to get the letter out!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back