TSA: Voyeurs wanted?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
As I was going through a strange routine flying home commercial Sunday I managed to see something that made me more aggravated..other than losing the Diet Coke in my backpack as I blithely walked in finishing a cup of coffee.

This airport had passengers carry their checked bags to a line for the TSA check. As you stood the line stretched across the table where the fine, fine, fine TSA protectors did their duty. Like most workers they BS to pass to time. Here's what I hear and see.

"Ohhh....I may never get this one closed again." Remove the bags of dirty clothes. "What have we...." Reaches in and plods around. "mumble, mumble..mutter" Prod. Probe. Poke. Dig. "Ohhh....We have an iPod Nano!"

I'm thinking where else would I witness such a thing - where there are no expectations of privacy? Oh yeah. "Velcome to dee camp. Now dis vil be your home. Vork vil set you free." Figures that daring to attempt to travel by air should be equivalent.

Do they screen to make sure they get voyeurs who will stay on the job?

Last edited:
Remember right after 9/11 when they were doing "gate checks"? I saw a security agent reduce a business woman to tears as they removed and held up her underwear for everyone to see in the gate area. Humiliating.

At least you got to witness the ransacking. At some airports, you don't get to see it. There is significant theft from checked bags - I know someone who was told by a TSA screener that he HAD to check his laptop bag ("You wanna fly today, or not?") at LGA, with predictable results.

Back