TSA Security Directive meeting; MTJ

Naw- as a student I just "borrowed" the mag when the next month's issue arrived- or went to the local library. I wasn't counted in the subscription numbers.

Were you an AOPA member? :D

Last edited:
We're you an AOPA member? :D
Nope. Back then I didn't know about AOPA.

I only learned about AOPA during primary training when my CFI told me about the 6 mo free membership. I think he got something for getting student pilots signed up.

I read this OP to a friend who desperatly wants to obtain his PPL. In short he said, "there are enough costs, hoops to jump through, training, more costs, unknowns and assorted other obstacles. This one is the clincher, I'm out."

If you want to control GA, this is the way to do it. Cut it off at its roots (growth).

I read this OP to a friend who desperatly wants to obtain his PPL. In short he said, "there are enough costs, hoops to jump through, training, more costs, unknowns and assorted other obstacles. This one is the clincher, I'm out."

If you want to control GA, this is the way to do it. Cut it off at its roots (growth).

Well this is FAR from a done deal, yet you just managed to turn someone off from GA by reading them this stuff. Congratulations on helping the TSA. :mad3:

Well this is FAR from a done deal
In his defense, I would say that the TSA has an abysmal record of actually listening to comments. I would not be at all surprised if the rule was enacted essentially unchanged. It may not be a done deal for all time, but the rule may well be in force for the years that a court case would take to overturn it.

In his defense, I would say that the TSA has an abysmal record of actually listening to comments. I would not be at all surprised if the rule was enacted essentially unchanged. It may not be a done deal for all time, but the rule may well be in force for the years that a court case would take to overturn it.
Maybe that's the one saving grace, so to speak. If this rule is outrageous enough (I'd think it would be), it might be challenged in court. I'm not a lawyer, but I can think of enough constitutional issues. If they win, the TSA will be more careful for a while...

Maybe that's the one saving grace, so to speak. If this rule is outrageous enough (I'd think it would be), it might be challenged in court. I'm not a lawyer, but I can think of enough constitutional issues. If they win, the TSA will be more careful for a while...

1) It will be hard to challenge in court as long as they follow the APA.
2) TSA doesn't listen to the constituents. It's ALL shoved under the rubrick of "national security", the documents will not be provided, and there will be a multi-year battle (during which time the rules will apply).
3) Just look at airline security and the stuff that's done there without challenge.

GA -> doornail

1) It will be hard to challenge in court as long as they follow the APA.
2) TSA doesn't listen to the constituents. It's ALL shoved under the rubrick of "national security", the documents will not be provided, and there will be a multi-year battle (during which time the rules will apply).
3) Just look at airline security and the stuff that's done there without challenge.

GA -> doornail
Absolutely true. Maybe something can/will be done, but I don't ave high hopes...

That's the reality and I am like you, I believe there will be little change and the implementation will begin much sooner than we wish.

It's another set of Patriot Act-like implementations where they get to make up the rules, and their interpretations, not only as they go along but under the umbrella of "terrorism" and all the generalities that comes with that label.

I am very surprised there is so little discussion about this here and on other forums. :yikes:

You'll find all the discussion you want about the politics involved in the Patriot Act and other governmental actions like it over in the Spin Zone, and (we hope) only in the Spin Zone. The MC applauds those who have exercised restraint in keeping it there, and not let it spill over here in Hangar Talk.

You'll find all the discussion you want about the politics involved in the Patriot Act and other governmental actions like it over in the Spin Zone, and (we hope) only in the Spin Zone. The MC applauds those who have exercised restraint in keeping it there, and not let it spill over here in Hangar Talk.
That's not the discussion I meant. My comment was within and about this thread. TSA Security Directive meeting; MTJ

Last edited:
Well this is FAR from a done deal, yet you just managed to turn someone off from GA by reading them this stuff. Congratulations on helping the TSA. :mad3:
Yeah, uh-huh, it's my fault that the TSA is acting like Big Brother.

I visited the Twin Towers on Sept 4th, 2001. Sorry about that too. :sleep:

Back