TSA screener sells stolen stuff on eBay

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A laptop here, a cell phone there. Within months, he had snatched more than 100 items, authorities say.

But this summer, Brown got too ambitious for his own good, allegedly stealing a $47,900 camera from an HBO crew and a camcorder from a CNN employee, authorities said.
AP PhotoA Transportation Security Administration screener checks a passenger's computer.

Brown attracted the attention of one of his victims -- and eventually investigators -- when he tried to sell the equipment on eBay, the online auction site, authorities said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/airport_screener_charged_with.html

Is this a new TSA openness policy?

I don't recall the TSA ever admitting this was even possible up to now. It was always a matter of national security. I figured the guilty guy got promoted to management.

Of course. Ebay doesn't allow negative feedback anymore. :mad:
Yes, they do - for sellers. The problem is that too many sellers were posting retaliatory negative feedback against buyers when it wasn't warranted. That happened to me, and it cost me $70 to get it fixed. I'd paid promptly - which is all a seller should care about for feedback purposes - but the seller had misrepresented the item in a way that made it unusable for me. I had to get my money back from PayPal when he wouldn't refund it, and I filed a negative, so he retaliated. He claimed I hadn't returned the item, when I had proof that I had.

the article concludes with

"Uselding said the TSA worked closely with homeland security investigators to bring the charges against Brown. She also said that his crimes were rare and that less than 300 TSA employees have been terminated for theft.

"The actions of a few individuals in no way reflect on the outstanding job our more than 43,000 security officers do every day to ensure the security of the traveling public," she said. "

hmmm, less than 300 employees terminated for theft. Ok 300 of 43,000 is a statistical minority, but that's 300 thieves too many in a department full of supposed "trusted authorities".

Last edited:
the article concludes with

"Uselding said the TSA worked closely with homeland security investigators to bring the charges against Brown. She also said that his crimes were rare and that less than 300 TSA employees have been terminated for theft.

"The actions of a few individuals in no way reflect on the outstanding job our more than 43,000 security officers do every day to ensure the security of the traveling public," she said. "

hmmm, less than 300 employees terminated for theft. Ok 300 of 43,000 is a statistical minority, but that's 300 thieves too many.
Not 300 thieves, but fewer than 300 thieves terminated for that cause. Doesn't say anything about how many others there are that haven't been terminated!:no::mad:

Is this a new TSA openness policy?

I don't recall the TSA ever admitting this was even possible up to now. It was always a matter of national security. I figured the guilty guy got promoted to management.
Did he have my camera battery charger! :mad:

Not to mention how many have yet to be caught.

Not to mention every TSA guy works with a dozen others, so his coworkers, and likely, supervisors, saw him carting stuff off.

You know what happens in that kind of work environment?

"Good luck on finding your own treasure." "Look at this one!"

hmmm, less than 300 employees terminated for theft. Ok 300 of 43,000 is a statistical minority, but that's 300 thieves too many in a department full of supposed "trusted authorities".

Seriously. That's like the NYPD issuing a statement saying "only 30 of our officers have been fired for stealing your stuff, we're a good organization, really." F-ing TSA.

I thought less than 1% was statistically insignificant ... until it's MY STUFF the filchin's SOBs are messing with ... grrrrrr.

Back