TSA requires photos of flight schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me say this. Many of us who have served this nation in and out of uniform are growing increasingly irritated by the irrational, outspoken, and polemical behavior of our fellow citizens, especially here on the Internet where one need not stand face-to-face with another man and defend his opinions. Quiet professionalism only goes so far, and you're going to find it increasingly common to be called out when you say something ridiculous or unfounded.

Perhaps those who serve need to reevaluate who is supposed to be serving whom, and undertake some introspection to determine whether their own personal mission is inline with the proper model.

I have great respect for our public servants, especially those in uniform, but too many of them exhibit behavior consistent with a belief that the public is accountable to them, not the other way around. I won't say a majority, but the problem is becoming more prevalent as the reach of government expands and additional types of speech and behavior are being criminalized.

While I have never had a bad experience with the TSA, there are far too many first-hand accounts from those who haven't been so lucky, along with video and/or audio proof of such encounters. When an otherwise innocent and civil individual must carefully measure his words and actions under fear of detainment, ridicule, or prosecution, there's a huge problem with the system. Perhaps if the TSA focused on actual threats rather than behavioral conditioning and demonstrating their "authority," they would earn a bit more respect.

JKG

You mean that sound argument you've got where they've stopped exactly 0 terrorists? Oh yeah use that one. :lol:

They have stopped terrorists. You may not be aware of it, but they have.

Perhaps those who serve need to reevaluate who is supposed to be serving whom, and undertake some introspection to determine whether their own personal mission is inline with the proper model.

I have great respect for our public servants, especially those in uniform, but too many of them exhibit behavior consistent with a belief that the public is accountable to them, not the other way around. I won't say a majority, but the problem is becoming more prevalent as the reach of government expands and additional types of speech and behavior are being criminalized.

While I have never had a bad experience with the TSA, there are far too many first-hand accounts from those who haven't been so lucky, along with video and/or audio proof of such encounters. When an otherwise innocent and civil individual must carefully measure his words and actions under fear of detainment, ridicule, or prosecution, there's a huge problem with the system. Perhaps if the TSA focused on actual threats rather than behavioral conditioning and demonstrating their "authority," they would earn a bit more respect.

JKG

Some of your points are well taken. But I do think that you are mistaken about the motivations of public servants. I don't know any that believe the public works for them, as you suggest. The attitude you are likely identifying is, however, increasingly common and worrisome--namely, is the public worth serving?

The level of the public discourse has gotten so low (cf.docmirror in this thread); the quality of culture so poor (just turn on your TV); and the self-centeredness, greed, and lack of patriotism among the citizenry so acute that a lot of public servants, including in the military, are throwing up our hands in exasperation.

Maybe the TSA is in need of reform. If so, you can state your case. But state it logically, with foundation in evidence and in accordance with the rules of logic. You have done a good job here. But don't do what docmirror does and use outrageous claims and personal insults to try to push a point-of-view. And don't pretend to be an expert in something you're not.

They have stopped terrorists. You may not be aware of it, but they have.

If they have stopped terrorists they would be having a press conference, press releases, some sort of award for the molesters, I mean screeners.

You'd made the statement they have stopped them. Prove it, or call yourself a liar.

Thread closed pending MC review.

Personal attacks are not acceptable on POA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back