TSA non-random selection

Lindberg

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lindberg
I have had TSA pre-check for a awhile now, but whenever I go through, I'm always selected for additional screening, which consists of having my hands swabbed for the trace detector. It happens at least 9 out of 10 times I fly. I walk through the metal detector, and then after I've cleared it, there's a beep and I'm told I've been "randomly" selected. It is 100% predictable. Today, I didn't hear the beep (if there was one) but a TSO pulled me aside as I was grabbing my carry-on off the conveyor.

There's no reason I should be on anyone's list. I had no trouble with the pre-check approval, and I've never had a problem with a background check. It's really just a minor inconvenience, and slightly comical when the TSO tells me I was randomly selected and I correct him/her. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience or knows how/why it is happening.

I have had TSA pre-check for a awhile now, but whenever I go through, I'm always selected for additional screening, which consists of having my hands swabbed for the trace detector. It happens at least 9 out of 10 times I fly. I walk through the metal detector, and then after I've cleared it, there's a beep and I'm told I've been "randomly" selected. It is 100% predictable. Today, I didn't hear the beep (if there was one) but a TSO pulled me aside as I was grabbing my carry-on off the conveyor.

There's no reason I should be on anyone's list. I had no trouble with the pre-check approval, and I've never had a problem with a background check. It's really just a minor inconvenience, and slightly comical when the TSO tells me I was randomly selected and I correct him/her. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience or knows how/why it is happening.

Maybe it's your swarthy complexion.

There's no reason I should be on anyone's list. I had no trouble with the pre-check approval, and I've never had a problem with a background check.

Sounds like you made the list, or you have the worst luck in history :yes:

Post 9/11 they don't need a reason or proof to put you on a list, could be worse they could indefinitely detain you, or drone you.

They read these boards and they know you hate them.

Pistol license? Pilots license? Hanging out on the same forum as me? Bad credit? Excellent credit? Drive a foreign car? Maybe you cleared your web browser history once. We're all terrorists if it is convenient to their goals.

or maybe you look SOOO nonthreatening that you are always the Token "look we're not being racist b/c we are also inspecting this guy!"

Pistol license? Pilots license? Hanging out on the same forum as me? Bad credit? Excellent credit? Drive a foreign car? Maybe you cleared your web browser history once. We're all terrorists if it is convenient to their goals.

:yes::yes::yes:....:redface:

I travel by airline at least once a week. I never get checked. Must be my honest looks. My borescope is a different story. It looks dangerous.

or maybe you look SOOO nonthreatening that you are always the Token "look we're not being racist b/c we are also inspecting this guy!"
Probably not far off. One of my previous employers knew that I never drank or did drugs. Somehow I was always getting selected for 'random' testing.:yesnod:

anti_obama_nothing_suspicious_about_my_package_tshirt-r5c858581e4774bb4ac123c6386f2016e_804gy_324.jpg

maybe it's the tshirt you've been wearing on your trips.

half-dozen times got TSA-precheck by dumb luck - no extra checks.

Since getting my Known Traveler Number, I had 4 trips through TSA, twice selected for the extra fun.

Maybe it's your swarthy complexion.
Not particularly. And it still happens since I shaved my beard. But matching some profile is one possibility I've considered.

I would have thought that if it is because I'm on some list, that it would have come up in the pre-check approval process. I've wondered if it's something like my deodorant or clothes detergent setting off some sensor that they don't like to talk about so they call it "random selection."

There's a new signature tag line right there! :thumbsup:

It's random.

The one possibility I've ruled out. If I fly one trip a week, and it happens on both legs four weeks in a row, what is the likelihood that it's random, unless they're choosing something like every third person (which they aren't because I've never seen anyone in front of me get picked).

I got selected for enhanced screening three legs out of four circa 2002 - probably because I was travelling without luggage (was going home for the weekend from a TDY assignment). The only other time I remember was around 2008 when I had to hustle over to another airport due to a cancelled flight and consequent rebooking. Otherwise, zip in dozens of flights. Never bothered with preapproval.

Dave

You just look like a troublemaker :)

I dunno. I travel every week/TSAPre, it's happened twice in the past three years. Why else would I be up at this hour?

Did you try asking someone? Besides the peanut gallery?

Two possibilities I can think of, based on my knowledge from around 2003: First, the checkpoint supervisor may need a certain number of checks of passengers who didn't set the magnetometer off (TSA is always finding new ways to rate the supervisors). You may look like an "easy" or safe target (being clean-cut, etc.) Second, it could be your method of booking the flight. The airlines are constantly fighting with the on-line sites for top billing on the first page. If your airline feels that a particular site isn't placing them in the top listings, or heaven forbid, on the second page, the airline will retaliate by marking your boarding pass with a code which places you in the "selectie" catagory , which obligates TSA to give you further screening.

Two possibilities I can think of, based on my knowledge from around 2003: First, the checkpoint supervisor may need a certain number of checks of passengers who didn't set the magnetometer off (TSA is always finding new ways to rate the supervisors). You may look like an "easy" or safe target (being clean-cut, etc.) Second, it could be your method of booking the flight. The airlines are constantly fighting with the on-line sites for top billing on the first page. If your airline feels that a particular site isn't placing them in the top listings, or heaven forbid, on the second page, the airline will retaliate by marking your boarding pass with a code which places you in the "selectie" catagory , which obligates TSA to give you further screening.
If the airline isn't on the first page, why would they tag the customer? I don't see the correlation.

I have a friend named "John Jones". He doesn't fly unless it's absolutley necessary. He's randomly selected 100% of the time.

maybe your name is similar to someone that's on a watch list.

I've was questioned once by law enforcement because my first and last name is the same as someone who's got several warrants. I googled my name and came up with a couple of photos of some really unsavory looking characters (neither of which was me).

The airline definitely does not want the passenger to learn of their envolvement, but are hoping that sooner or later the passenger will notice that every time they book with site "A", they are selected for further screening, and if they book with site "B", no problems. The airline is hoping thate site "A" notices the drop-off in bookings and will elavate the airline to a better position on the first page.
What usually happens is that some overworked TSA screener will tell the complaing passenger what is going on in order to lessen their (TSA) pain. Over a year I have seen this play out with three separate airlines.

The airline definitely does not want the passenger to learn of their envolvement, but are hoping that sooner or later the passenger will notice that every time they book with site "A", they are selected for further screening, and if they book with site "B", no problems. The airline is hoping thate site "A" notices the drop-off in bookings and will elavate the airline to a better position on the first page.
What usually happens is that some overworked TSA screener will tell the complaing passenger what is going on in order to lessen their (TSA) pain. Over a year I have seen this play out with three separate airlines.
That seems like a stretch IMO. Yes, some travel a lot and may notice, but I don't think joe average travels enough to have that impact.

Anything 'unusual' about your travel patterns? Last-minute changes / booking, one-way or cash-purchased tickets?

Failing that I'd guess a name close enough / identical to someone on a watchlist.

Some background on me so the rest of this makes sense.
Born in Pakistan (Turkish/Kashmiri ancestry) but living in the US since 1986. Married to the most beautiful woman in the world whose family genealogy includes English/French/Austrian.
My complexion is as expected but no facial hair. She can't wear shorts without everyone around needing sunglasses.

Guess who gets stopped at every security checkpoint? NOT me. The inside joke is that either they have to show that they don't stop every person of a darker complexion or she is reprimanded for her choice in men. :dunno:
I am in IT and carry a lot of electronics/diagnostic gear when I fly and nothing. I am also a firearms instructor and an avid shooter that IF they ever swabbed me would test positive for something. She has to have her purse looked at very carefully. Wanded several times. You get the picture.

Which is why we fly our Six pretty much everywhere we go anymore.

You sir may just be the guinea pig to show that the TSA does not profile!!!
Sucks to be you by the way.

It probably does seem to be a stretch, but as I said, this was from my knowledge from working for TSA in 2003. The agent from the airline confirmed my analysis and also pointed out that the "selectee" coding was from the airline computer, not something added at the airport gate.
But, after re-reading the OP, this was not a selectee situation where the passenger is placed in the screening room with all his posessions, hand wanded or patted, and having his posessions inspedted. If all Lindberg is subjected to is swabbing of the hands, then he is probably the victim of the checkpoint quota for so many explosive checks per shift. One other possibility is that he walks through a magnetometer equipped with the "air puff" detector every time. Since he didn't mention ever raising an alarm with the hand swabbing, I would guess the air puff detectors were out of calibration, or he should change his deodorant, cologne or laundry detergent brand.

In Atlanta I seem to get patted down about 8 out 10 times, for some reason the screen on the nude a scope says I have something on my leg, my arm, or my chest, none of these areas have anything there, either they are getting a lot of false positives, or just playing games and someone is pushing buttons from a place we do not see, it only happens in Atlanta no where else, maybe it is my bored I hate all of you TSA shirts and this is a waste of time attitude on my face as I move through the line at 6:00 AM.

In Atlanta I seem to get patted down about 8 out 10 times, for some reason the screen on the nude a scope says I have something on my leg, my arm, or my chest, none of these areas have anything there, either they are getting a lot of false positives, or just playing games and someone is pushing buttons from a place we do not see, it only happens in Atlanta no where else, maybe it is my bored I hate all of you TSA shirts and this is a waste of time attitude on my face as I move through the line at 6:00 AM.

Try coiling it up instead of strapping it to your leg. Easier to when using the men's room also.

It probably does seem to be a stretch, but as I said, this was from my knowledge from working for TSA in 2003. The agent from the airline confirmed my analysis and also pointed out that the "selectee" coding was from the airline computer, not something added at the airport gate.
But, after re-reading the OP, this was not a selectee situation where the passenger is placed in the screening room with all his posessions, hand wanded or patted, and having his posessions inspedted. If all Lindberg is subjected to is swabbing of the hands, then he is probably the victim of the checkpoint quota for so many explosive checks per shift. One other possibility is that he walks through a magnetometer equipped with the "air puff" detector every time. Since he didn't mention ever raising an alarm with the hand swabbing, I would guess the air puff detectors were out of calibration, or he should change his deodorant, cologne or laundry detergent brand.

So, next time I fly commercial , where on my ticket is this secret code???:dunno::dunno:

So, next time I fly commercial , where on my ticket is this secret code???:dunno::dunno:

lol!!! Do you remember when the selectee thing first started? An "SSS" was printed on your boarding pass.

"Hey Habib.. Can't do it today. We have the S's."

Second, it could be your method of booking the flight. The airlines are constantly fighting with the on-line sites for top billing on the first page. If your airline feels that a particular site isn't placing them in the top listings, or heaven forbid, on the second page, the airline will retaliate by marking your boarding pass with a code which places you in the "selectie" catagory , which obligates TSA to give you further screening.

Really? I think you're stretching here. I doubt the airlines are retaliating against the online sites by making your life miserable at the security line.

How would the passenger know the correlation?

I have had the hand-swab in the line waiting to go up to the ticket checker. At that point, neither TSA nor the airline know who I am. The only TSA person who knows who you are is the ticket checker, unless they have some telepathic way to notify the guy at the metal detector, he doesn't know who you are (unless you have the selectee SSSS on your boarding pass and you were sent to the swab guy specifically).

I have a friend named "John Jones". He doesn't fly unless it's absolutley necessary. He's randomly selected 100% of the time.

Yeah, I'd waterboard him just to make sure.

Of course, Mustafa gets a wave-through.

Back