TSA fail

So the Terrorist Support Agency can literally do anything to anyone and not worry at all about being stopped.

Brilliant.

I am shocked- "TSA" and "Fail" in the same sentence?

It's a good thing they didn't do that to the close family member I love... that could literally be life threatening to that person and it would be easy to justify strong words.

add another one to the list...

The Transportation Security Administration has shelved $184 million in security equipment in a Texas warehouse rather than in the airports for which it was bought, according to a report compiled by House Republican investigators.

When House investigators sought information about the stored material, the TSA “provided inaccurate, incomplete, and potentially misleading information . . . to conceal the agency’s mismanagement of warehouse operations.”

Their answers lacked candor? :rolleyes: Really? :confused:

add another one to the list...

Their answers lacked candor? :rolleyes: Really? :confused:

But it's all good. The Terrorist Support Agency is acting entirely in compliance with their procedures.

None of our "leaders" have the cajones to dump the Terrorist Support Agency.

(if you'all forgive the second-hand relaying of information)
A co-worker told me about this being on the local news. My understanding is that there is a custody battle in process and allegedly the woman planted the bullets etc inside the child's toys.

Wow. :eek:

(if you'all forgive the second-hand relaying of information)
A co-worker told me about this being on the local news. My understanding is that there is a custody battle in process and allegedly the woman planted the bullets etc inside the child's toys.

I heard that same sidebar note last night on the local news - they reported that "an alleged domestic dispute may have bearing on this" and "the father and child were allowed to continue on their trip."

Domestic disputes can get a lot uglier than this (cue War of the Roses). Likely the mother won't face any criminal charges as a result, but I'd bet the father's lawyer will bring it up at the divorce hearing.

Maybe I've just become too skeptical in my old age, but something about this story still smells funny to me. Even if you buy the domestic dispute argument, and the wife planted the gun parts, do you really think the TSA could have cleared this all up to their satisfaction in such a timely manner as to allow the man and his child to continue on their way? I feel like if my carry-on turned up gun parts that I claimed I wasn't aware of, I'd be in Guantanamo right now. And if it is true, why wasn't the wife, or whoever planted the gun parts, charged?

If it was all the parts, I bet it would have been different. IIRC, no barrel and a few other essential pieces.

Wow, another add to the list, how surprising is that? It is not going to stop, it is not going to get better, and TSA will not pay for that pump, nor anything else they destroy.

Congress will do nothing, not one thing to expedite TSA reform. If we want reform, the only thing we can do is not vote for any incumbent. Sooner or later, they have to start taking their constituents seriously. Until then, it's business as usual.

-John

And if it is true, why wasn't the wife, or whoever planted the gun parts, charged?

Not yet.

It takes time to investigate who was responsible for putting these objects in the toys. Real LEOs don't have Ms Sciuto available to gives results in less than an hour.

And exactly what laws were broken?

Not yet.

It takes time to investigate who was responsible for putting these objects in the toys. Real LEOs don't have Ms Sciuto available to gives results in less than an hour.

And exactly what laws were broken?

I guess that was part of what made me suspicious, that the TSA and airport police took so little time to decide that the man was completely innocent and let him board the flight. And he may very well be innocent. I'm just saying they seemed to sort it all out a little too quickly.

As for what laws were broken, I have no idea, but it seems like trying to set someone up like that would qualify for one charge or another, if that's what really happened.

I guess that was part of what made me suspicious, that the TSA and airport police took so little time to decide that the man was completely innocent and let him board the flight. And he may very well be innocent. I'm just saying they seemed to sort it all out a little too quickly.

Naw. I'm sure they rescreened everything he had, and groped him & the kid from head to toe. Assuming nothing else was found, he's not got anything dangerous that he's taking on board, so really not a security risk. Wanna arrest him? I'm sure they asked for his papers and copied his identity information and addresses.

Or they might have called the mother and learned the truth from her.
As for what laws were broken, I have no idea, but it seems like trying to set someone up like that would qualify for one charge or another, if that's what really happened.

Depends on the State. More likely there's little they can charge her with.

* As of February 15, 2012, the total value of TSA’s equipment in storage was, according to TSA officials, estimated at $184 million. However, when questioned by Committee staff, TSA’s warehouse staff and procurement officials were unable to provide the total value of equipment in storage.
* Committee staff discovered that 85% of the approximately 5,700 major transportation security equipment currently warehoused at the TLC had been stored for longer than six months; 35% of the equipment had been stored for more than one year. One piece of equipment had been in storage more than six years – 60% of its useful life.
* As of February 2012, Committee staff discovered that TSA had 472 Advanced Technology 2 (AT2) carry-on baggage screening machines at the TLC and that more than 99% have remained in storage for more than nine months; 34% of AT2s have been stored for longer than one year.
* TSA knowingly purchased more Explosive Trace Detectors (ETDs) than were necessary in order to receive a bulk discount under an incorrect and baseless assumption that demand would increase. TSA management stated: “[w]e purchased more than we needed in order to get a discount...

* TSA intentionally delayed Congressional oversight of the Transportation Logistics Center and provided inaccurate, incomplete, and potentially misleading information to Congress in order to conceal the agency’s continued mismanagement of warehouse operations..
* TSA willfully delayed Congressional oversight of the agency’s Transportation Logistics Center twice in a failed attempt to hide the disposal of approximately 1,300 pieces of screening equipment from its warehouses in Dallas, Texas, prior to the arrival of Congressional staff..
* TSA potentially violated 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001, by knowingly providing an inaccurate warehouse inventory report to Congressional staff that accounted for the disposal of equipment that was still in storage at the TLC during a site visit by Congressional staff..
* TSA provided Congressional staff with a list of disposed equipment that falsely identified disposal dates and directly contradicted the inventory of equipment in the Quarterly Warehouse Inventory Report provided to Committee staff on February 13, 2012.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ting-hundreds-millions-taxpayer-dollars.shtml

http://oversight.house.gov/report/a...loy-and-warehouse-its-screening-technologies/

Back