Trying to stay ahead of the curve with charts

TDKendall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TDKendall
In an attempt to understand what I'm seeing on charts to know what the different symbols mean and what graphics depict restricted or structured airspace (Class B, C, D, etc), I grabbed a Seattle sectional and decided to see if I could figure out a flight path through the myriad of airports, small strips and AFB in the local area going from my training field of 1S0, Pierce County-Thun Field to W04. Since I didn't fully understand what I was seeing on the chart, I thought I'd ask for advice/input from the more experienced pilots on the board.

1S0 is the red and blue field on the chart and w04 is on a heading of 268 although once one gets airborne, that heading will change slightly depending on which runway is the active at the time of take off.

Also, after one gets past this section of the chart, the rest is relatively simple...change frequencies to the CTAF's of the airports one flys by and keep others on those frequencies updated on one's position, altitude and direction. At least that's what I've been able to gleen so far from trying to teach myself and stay ahead of the learning curve.

If it was CAVu I would take of turn north climb and as I climbed through 2800 turn to intercept the McChord VOR and finish my climb at a minimum of 3000. I might clal up the CLass D airports to let them know I was overhead but outside of their airspace. But if they were busy I would just monitor and keep my head on a swivel. BTW how low does the shelf of the Class B go that is north of McChord? I see the around McChord it is at 6000MSL.

The alternative is to do the same but call up the McChord tower and ask for permission to cross their airspace.

It is such a small slice of the sectional it is hard see to all of the alternatives but at least either of those keep you away from the restricted airspace and having to see if the MOAs are hot.

It's not exactly clear what the question is here. Do you need help understanding the chart itself (i.e., interpreting it so you know what all the airspace is), or are you looking for advice on how to handle the airspace (i.e., strategy for getting through it all)?

Ron Levy said:
It's not exactly clear what the question is here. Do you need help understanding the chart itself (i.e., interpreting it so you know what all the airspace is), or are you looking for advice on how to handle the airspace (i.e., strategy for getting through it all)?

A little of both, actually. I don't understand which symbols indicate restricted airspace, Class levels, etc., therefore I'm having issues finding the right strategy for getting through the airspace.

Preferred cruise altitude is 3000MSL, if that helps any.

TDKendall said:
A little of both, actually. I don't understand which symbols indicate restricted airspace, Class levels, etc., therefore I'm having issues finding the right strategy for getting through the airspace.

Preferred cruise altitude is 3000MSL, if that helps any.

Here is all you wanted to know about the different airspace involved. I took this off the Seattle Terminal Area Chart. I should be on the sectional as well. The R area's and MOA's have a listing of altitudes and times of use as well.
Don

The routing cannot be direct due to the R-airspace as depicted by the blue hatched line and blue text R-6703. The hatches face inward or toward the special use airspace. My suggested route would be to overfly Gray, get to the NW of the highway and then cut SW to your destination. I didn't see your destination on the provided graph.

A better suggestion would be for you to get on the phone and call around to find a local CFI for their preferred routing. Better yet, call ATC for that same advice.

TDKendall said:
I don't understand which symbols indicate restricted airspace, Class levels, etc., therefore I'm having issues finding the right strategy for getting through the airspace.
Maybe there's something I'm missing, and I hope the reference to the legend posted by Don should help with that part, but I'm a bit surprised that you're up to the stage of planning XC's by yourself without your instructor or your ground school having covered this yet. If you're not to that stage yet, but just trying to get a jump on it, I recommend relaxing, and letting your instructor cover this when the time is right. There's a lot of other stuff related to the stage you're at now, the study of which would be a better use of your time at this point.

Consider also, the benefits of edging along to the south and SE, outside the perimeters of the restricted airspace and then North to Thun Field for the first flight.

Intercepting two intersecting VOR radials exactly can help as that area all looks very much the same to me.

Back