Trying to get an idea of what it will take to get a 3rd class

BeakerBeaker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BeakerBeaker
Hey all,

I'm trying to obtain a third class medical. As of today I haven't submitted medexpress or anything, I'm just trying to get a grasp on what might be ahead of me.

About two years ago I told my PCP that once or twice a month I'd wake up and not be able to get back to sleep. I was diagnosed with insomnia and prescribed trazodone with a take as needed dosage. Got in a better routine, stopped using the trazodone, and now my medical record states "insomnia resolved with healthy nighttime routine." Obviously I need to disclose the insomnia diagnosis to get a third class medical.

I'm wanting to make an informed decision between private and sport, and I know a denial or deferral will eliminate sport. What's the process for getting a third class with this history? Super expensive (HIMS)? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

@BeakerBeaker, the good new is that the recent examples seem to be encouraging, seems like worst case it is a year wait (sounds horrible, until you realize that other cases are many times longer).

I would consider going to an AME for a consultation visit, and see what they say. With a consultation they can give you a report on exactly what they would do with your situation, as it really is up the individual AME anyway. If they say "Yeah, no problem", then fill out the medexpress form and get your exam completed. If they say "Yeeeeah, it doesn't look good at all" then stick to the sport arena.

You ability to get a medical will be directly related to the quality of the documentation from your treating physician as it pertains to your current status, how your insomnia was resolved. We have an upcoming blog post on the concept of the detailed clinical progress note.

Last edited:
From the FAA:

Medical conditions that chronically interfere with sleep are disqualifying regardless of whether a sleep aid is used or not. Examples may include primary sleep disorders (e.g., insomnia, sleep apnea) or psychological disorders (e.g., anxiety, depression).

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/sleepaids/

Note the word may. Your medical records need to clearly demonstrate the insomnia was not chronic, has been resolved, and what was causing it when you were experiencing it.

I had a short hx of reactive insomnia that was resolved without medication a few years back. Reported it, had the documentation in hand, and was issued in-office.

I cannot stress this enough: you need to find an AME that will do a consult with you and tell you whether your documentation is sufficient. If it is, use that AME for your exam.

Beaker beaker: If that was your email, it will be crucial as to the strength and detail in the "resolved with sleep hygeine" and for how long. If it's good enough it won't be an issue. Bjut the record/letter has to say for how long the period was on the meds, and it's best if it can say that you have been reolved for a whole year.

B.

Beaker beaker: If that was your email, it will be crucial as to the strength and detail in the "resolved with sleep hygeine" and for how long. If it's good enough it won't be an issue. Bjut the record/letter has to say for how long the period was on the meds, and it's best if it can say that you have been reolved for a whole year.

B.

Dr. Bruce, thanks for taking the time to reply. Pretty cool how much you try to help folks on here.

It's a bit crazy how hard it is to find good info for the medical. AOPA told me to list everything, don't do a consultation, and there's nothing to worry about. I'm going to find an local AME who does consultations and see what specifically they would want and then go from there.

As of now my record says I've been off the meds and resolved since October. I think I may just add updates to this post as I go through the process in the event it helps someone else in the future.

Thanks again.

I think I may just add updates to this post as I go through the process in the event it helps someone else in the future.

I think that would be useful. It is always good to have something people can look at and see the good / bad / ugly of navigating the FAA system. I regret that you or anyone else is in the system, but since you are, it might be of use to the next guy to have something to look at to set expectations by.

AOPA told me to list everything, don't do a consultation, and there's nothing to worry about.

I have no kind things to say about the AOPA medical line. They are not doctors, nor even trained medical advisors. Their inept advice was part of the reason I was grounded for twelve weeks a while back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back