Truth is stranger than fiction

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
A New Mexico lawmaker has presented a bill (not sure if this is state or federal level) to add a tax on TVs and playstations to fund a battle on obesity. The reasoning is kids are spending too much time in front of the box so the box mfgs should be taxed. It's even being labeled as child abuse to let your kids become one with their new electronic friend.

Sounds like a stretch to claim product liability.

Well the parents can't be liable! They try to get their kids outside, but they kids don't listen and just sit in front of the idiot-box, what are the parents supposed to do??

Do they also plan on taxing companies that support DDR, which actually make kids get up and move? This seems somewhat ridiculous. What are they planning on using the tax dollars for?

A New Mexico lawmaker has presented a bill (not sure if this is state or federal level) to add a tax on TVs and playstations to fund a battle on obesity. The reasoning is kids are spending too much time in front of the box so the box mfgs should be taxed. It's even being labeled as child abuse to let your kids become one with their new electronic friend.

Sounds like a stretch to claim product liability.

Don't forget computers! That darned internet and myspaces is making people just as obese as playstations and xboxes :D

What a load... sedentary behavior may contribute to childhood obesity to some degree, but come on now!! Proper nutrition is essential, too. And it's unfair to sue those who produce fattening snacks- they're not forcing these kids to eat poorly!

I'd like to see a line-up of the political geniuses behind this one... how many of them do you figure are overweight? :D

Wii is exempt??
Wii is never exempt from stupidity. That goes double for politicians who try to force something on someone who doesn't want it to start with.

So, back to that question... Whatta they gonna do with the money? :dunno:

I know! Fund children's theater and puppet shows so they can get into acidities outside the home!

Do they also plan on taxing companies that support DDR, which actually make kids get up and move?

DDR is dangerous. I've hurt my feet, hamstring and even dislocated my thumb slightly. Not enough to need a doc, but enough to limit range of motion and cause soreness for 1.5 months.

Heck, on song is called "Trip Machine" and trip the n00bs over their own feet. Amazingly, I still play, but forbid my little cousin from playing it.

What are they planning on using the tax dollars for?

They'll use it to promote New Mexico as a great location for businesses so they can increase the employment numbers....in fast food and worse, casual food restaurants and snack food makers.

Back