True Confessions from an Experienced Pilot: Brain Fart Nearly Killed Me Last Night

Re: True Confessions from an Experienced Pilot: Brain Fart Nearly Killed Me Last Nigh

OP, I am a low time pilot, much lower than you. I took my wife on a pleasure flight one day last week. I made a mistake that a pre solo student shouldn't make, could have killed us, it didn't and I learned something. Moved a little bit from the luck bucket to the experience bucket, so did you.

Re: True Confessions from an Experienced Pilot: Brain Fart Nearly Killed Me Last Nigh

Just my opinion is your biggest mistake was trying to hand fly an IFR approach single pilot.
If i understood your description properly.
The professionals won't do this (135 or 121) so I won't either.
Actually, they do, and they're tested on it every six months, too. I don't even have an autopilot in my Tiger, and I fly IFR approaches all the time -- in minimum weather, even. It's a matter of practice and dedication to the craft, and since autopilots do fail from time to time, an absolutely essential skill to develop and hone. In fact, the less you fly IFR, the more you need to hand-fly your approaches so you maintain your proficiency. If you rely on your autopilot for all your IFR approaches, you need to stop flying IFR until you get your hand-flying skills back up to speed.

Last edited:

Flying at night should be treated like 'quasi' IFR, even when clear out. I realize it can be harder in congested airspace, especially altitude wise.

There was a fairly recent accident in MI where the guy drug in a longer final, got low and hit some tree tops. He also had his altimeter set incorrectly by a fair amount, to the 'high to low, look out below' side.

Unless I am in the airport area and going to land I about never fly below any obstruction or terrain at night. Yes, one may have to stay on or near an airway in the mountainous West.

I've done a few things I'd rather forget. The learning curve with some can be to steep to learn from your own deeds.

That should be something that doesn't happen to you again.

Actually, they do, and they're tested on it every six months, too. I don't even have an autopilot in my Tiger, and I fly IFR approaches all the time -- in minimum weather, even. It's a matter of practice and dedication to the craft, and since autopilots do fail from time to time, an absolutely essential skill to develop and hone. In fact, the less you fly IFR, the more you need to hand-fly your approaches so you maintain your proficiency. If you rely on your autopilot for all your IFR approaches, you need to stop flying IFR until you get your hand-flying skills back up to speed.

Bravo, Ron. I am totally with you on this.

After my flight last night, I may hang up my wings. I would like candid feedback from fellow pilots.

For context, I am one of the most organized and careful pilots out there. I follow the book religiously and have very high minimums. I have 400 hours and fly high performance planes. I file a flight plan every time, and use flight following, even though my plane has TCAS.

Last night I could have killed myself and my passengers. I’m tempted to call it quits.

Been there and done worse. Maybe we lose priorities somewhere in our religiously organized reams of information.

From the OP's description, I am not certain he was IFR. I got the feeling he was VFR at night trying to navigate around LA airspace.

I think he was replying to the 3000 hour pilot who wrote post #3, not the OP, who said he had 400 hours.

So if you care about your family and you don't want to "die doing what you love", how about not fly at night? Day VFR is far more forgiving of brain farts. Disorientation and brain farts aside, assuming you are flying a piston single, what would you have done if your motor quit over that dense urban area, low altitude, with you in the dark? There is a very good chance you would have ended up just as dead as you would be hitting the tower.

Just throwing it out there. I personally avoid night flying for this reason.

Ditto that. Pretty lights and smooth air aside, I can get anywhere I want during the day. I fly for a hobby. Night flying, for me, is an unwarranted risk. Ask yourself would the tower have been visible to you during the day?

From the OP: Gosh...there are so many good insights in this thread, the one below included. I have maybe a total of 4 night hours max. Between my instructor saying how proficient I was (5 back to back greasers at different airports) and co-pilot buddy's statement that "flying at night is easier than day flying," I think I totally underestimated the dangers of a longer night cross country with so little experience.

I would like to thank everyone for helping me get through a difficult day, thinking my flying days were over. I'm still a bit shaken, but appreciate so much the wise counsel of POA members.

It's not enough, but THANK YOU!

I
It sounds like the significant contributor was that you were flying at night without a whole lot of night experience. (Yes, I acknowledge that you said your instructor said you did great flying at night and you were night current and I believe you). Now, as more than half of my 800 hours (non-commercial) were flown at night, let me share some things that, hopefully, will help.

Let me just say that I am still not totally comfortable flying at night, especially VFR, even though I do it.

I always take a more careful look at the weather, definitely the forecasts (FA, TAFs, etc.). And it doesn't matter whether or not it's a local flight. I always study the terrain along my planned route, no matter how many times I've flown it. If I leave the airport area, I always plan my flight with waypoints (that I can see at night), headings, etc. on a flight planner. (And, yes, all the VORs, etc. - no, I don't have GPS, unfortunately).

When I started to earnestly fly at night, I did it because it was easier for superficial reasons: the scheduling was easier, there is less traffic, it was after work, almost no deadline to get back as no one scheduled the plane after me, no sun in my eyes, etc. etc.

But I didn't just go somewhere far. I was nervous about it so I just stayed in the pattern. I think my first dozen or so flights were just in the pattern at Hayward (HWD). Then I got a little braver, so I flew south a few miles and flew back. I did this a few times as well. Until I was sure I can find my way back in the dark (plus being close in case the fog came in), I flew to Palo Alto (PAO) and came back. Yep, I did this quite a few times too. Then for the longest time, I just flew to Palo Alto, San Carlos (SQL), and back to Hayward. I learned what the "landscape" looked like at night. I knew what all the bridges looked like at night. I noticed all the lighted towers on the hillsides (there are quite a few). I figured out the best way to find the rotating beacons (just be patient). I recognized what the major freeways looked like. I learned how it looked during a clear night under a full moon. I learned what it looked like without a moon. I learned how the horizon looked during periods of unlimited visibility. Also with fog obscuring the distance. And, what I consider the hardest...how to taxi around an airport in the darkness. And, just as important, I learned how to read my panel at night (especially the altimeter), how to use lighting, how to read charts, etc.

Finally, after a year of doing this, I tried a Bay tour at night.

You get the idea. I invested quite a few hours learning the night landscape and how to fly in it. So, when I take a trip (even to socal - although I go on an IFR plan), at night, I am reasonably comfortable (I didn't say totally) navigating it. (I've got to tell you, though...to me, day VFR is "nothing").

Anyway, don't give up. Just don't think of night flying as being the same as day flying. Take the time to learn how to fly it. Learn how things look like at night. It need not be a arduous as what I've done (I'm a big chicken). One step at a time. You'll do much better next time.

Don't hang it up. Mistakes happen. So long as we learn from them we are less likely to become an unpleasant statistic.

The Professor covered it succinctly. Learn. Don't quit.

I know a CFI with years of experience who CFIT into the side of a mountain with a student onboard flying VFR at night. Amazingly, they both survived. In my opinion, the training requirements for private pilot at night are too limited and leads pilots to not appreciate the true dangers of night flying and mints pilots who are fully legal to fly VFR at night but fully unprepared.

I concur with all of the other pilots on here; night flying is not to be taken lightly . Be safe out there.

Agree with the need for respect for night flying. But I also think it's foolish to not stay current, and not be mentally prepared to have to deal with it.

Twice, I've had the unexpected pleasure of flying my wife with me at night. Both times on the same trip (to Denver and returning to Salt Lake). I had planned on day VFR, but both directions had us with a late start which resulted in night landings. I only have about 100 hours, so yeah, pretty limited in experience. And the only night flying I do is for currency. Know your home airport, fly it at night by yourself. Know the night landmarks. Be able to pick the beacon from the clutter. Know the charts and altitudes. Noah's advice was excellent. Fly the pattern, then fly nearby. All this has been said. The only way to overcome this is to fly that area at night.

Some posters have mentioned that you should just stick to day VFR. That is a fine plan, but what happens when you want to leave the area? There is no guarantee of strictly day VFR. Stuff happens, as it did with me. And if I just resigned myself to sticking to the local airspace I probably wouldn't fly either. What's the point? Finish up your IFR, and maybe don't carry passengers for a bit until you regain your confidence if that is an issue, but don't give it up. Unless you really feel like you are a deficient pilot for that one error. Every time I watch Top Gun I feel so sad for Cougar.

For night VFR, it's especially important to study the charts and come up with a plan that guarantees terrain and obstruction avoidance.

For night VFR, it's especially important to study the charts and come up with a plan that guarantees terrain and obstruction avoidance.

Absolutely. And I suggest looking at the instrument charts, even VFR, because they were designed for that under the assumption that you can't see the obstructions. Or minimum obstruction clearance numbers on both IFR and VFR charts.

Absolutely. And I suggest looking at the instrument charts, even VFR, because they were designed for that under the assumption that you can't see the obstructions. Or minimum obstruction clearance numbers on both IFR and VFR charts.

That's asking a lot in the world of the magenta line.

I agree that instrument charts can be useful for night VFR, because one strategy for avoiding terrain and obstructions would be to remain above the minimum IFR altitudes. That's not always feasible though, in which case I think VFR charts would be indispensable.

I know a CFI with years of experience who CFIT into the side of a mountain with a student onboard flying VFR at night. Amazingly, they both survived. In my opinion, the training requirements for private pilot at night are too limited and leads pilots to not appreciate the true dangers of night flying and mints pilots who are fully legal to fly VFR at night but fully unprepared.

I concur with all of the other pilots on here; night flying is not to be taken lightly . Be safe out there.

Wow. Where did that happen? Was that here in Socal?

After my flight last night, I may hang up my wings. I would like candid feedback from fellow pilots.

For context, I am one of the most organized and careful pilots out there. I follow the book religiously and have very high minimums. I have 400 hours and fly high performance planes. I file a flight plan every time, and use flight following, even though my plane has TCAS.

Last night I could have killed myself and my passengers. I’m tempted to call it quits.

What happened? In a nutshell, I briefly had a brain fart about altitude and location at night in super-complex LA airspace. And I almost hit a radio tower. The advanced TAWS system in my plane shouted, “Pull Up!!! Obstacle Ahead!!! Pull Up!!!!”. I applied full power and climbed 500 feet fast.

When I looked back at the Sectional, I was indeed close to a very high antennae near the airport I had never noticed. Without the TAWS warning, would I have hit it? Maybe. Maybe not. Was I close…yes…way too close…not sure exactly, but probably 300 feet, maybe less.

And yes, I’m night current, with instruction just last week from a tough CFI who said I was “extremely” proficient at night.

I’m incredibly discouraged this morning, thinking, wow…if after all the training I’ve done, the seminars, the reading, the safety webinars, what else is out there that could kill me in an instant? After all, I’m human, and humans sometimes have brain farts. It’s just that in GA, a brain fart can mean instant death.

Granted, I learned a lesson. But this “lesson” could have also been the end of me and a disaster for my family and my friend’s family.

Today, I’m considering leaving aviation, even though it’s truly my life’s passion. As much as I love it, I don’t want to die for it.

So there you have it. Thoughts appreciated! Don’t worry about criticizing me. I need to make the right decision here.

Don't Fly at night. Seems simple to me ! :dunno:

Cheers

First off, at 400 hours you're not experienced, you're very much in the learning zone (which never stops). So please realize that you have a few hundred hours, but you've got a ways to go. So do I with 2300 hours.

What happened to you is one of the risks of night flying. This is why, to simplify my night flying, I either file IFR or I fly as if I was IFR. It could happen to anyone, even the people who "really study their sectionals closely." The electronics help you a lot more than a piece of paper, in my opinion.

If you fly, you will have times that you scare yourself. It will happen. Learn from it and move forward.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back