Troubles with DBAN

jhausch

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jhausch
Bought a new laptop, got all my crap on it, then it started hibernating at random. There is a serious hardware problem - acting like internal loose connections or bad solder joints. Picked up new laptop, returning the old laptop for credit. However, before I do that I want to wipe it clean.

Found DBAN on the web and am trying to use it.

It took me a while to figure out how to make a special disc to boot from, but I got that figured out. The pictures show how far I get. When I run the program it finishes "instantly" and has done nothing to wipe the HD. The last image shows what pops up.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
Bought a new laptop, got all my crap on it, then it started hibernating at random. There is a serious hardware problem - acting like internal loose connections or bad solder joints. Picked up new laptop, returning the old laptop for credit. However, before I do that I want to wipe it clean.

Found DBAN on the web and am trying to use it.

It took me a while to figure out how to make a special disc to boot from, but I got that figured out. The pictures show how far I get. When I run the program it finishes "instantly" and has done nothing to wipe the HD. The last image shows what pops up.

Any suggestions?

If you have a media card reader, disable it in BIOS.

Alternatively, get a Linux LiveCD, use GParted, and destroy the drive.

If you have a media card reader, disable it in BIOS.

Seems to be working now. Thanks!!

I hope the PC holds out for the 6+ hours needed to finish DBAN (according to the "remaining" clock . . . the shut-down issues seem to be worse when the laptop is warm. . .

I guess I will leave it here at work and check it out tomorrow morning.

Thanks again.

Back