Tripping over my tongue, and other random thoughts from yesterday's flight

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Went flying yesterday, a spectacular day to do so. Chose to make a short flight to LNS to visit Airways pilot shop, just for giggles and to give Sean something to look forward to. He loves flying, but he's got some issues flying in a Skyhawk, namely he gets scared of heights, and bumps don't make him a happy camper.

About 18 miles east, I tuned in Lancaster tower so I could start getting a picture of what was going on, and thought I heard a group of planes saying they were at 2500 over Lancaster headed east. Since I was at 2500 east of Lancaster, this got my attention. I called the tower to confirm what I'd heard, and it turned out to be a group of airplanes at 2500 east of Lancaster headed west. Sigh... guess I should have listened a little longer. In any case calling up so early sure seemed to ease my passage to the airport, since I was told to come straight in for 26, report 5 mile final.

Get on the ground, and forgot to change to ground freq before calling up. Then at some point I called the female ground controller "sir." Sigh.

Not a good day on the radio at all. But at least my flying wasn't bad. I've been working on being a lot smoother, not using so much bank (20 or 30 degrees doesn't bother me, but I suspect it's part of what's been causing Sean issues), and entering the banks a little slower, and Cathy and Sean both commented favorably. Sean was able to keep from being scared on the trip there. On the trip back, it was coming up on noon and the thermals had kicked up. They weren't too bad, and I want Sean to get used to them, so I didn't climb out of them. They are only going to get worse as summer goes on, so he's just got to learn to deal with them, same as I did. He seems to find it easier now that he knows I don't like them either. Misery loves company, I guess LOL. He munched on his Bugles and managed to have a good time on the trip back. He told me post flight that he still has "thoughts" before takeoff. Still, he insists on going flying with us, and so long as he's willing and appears to be enjoying I certainly am not going to make him quit!

My landings lacked perfection, a quest I'm always on and which I suspect will be as successful as the search for the Holy Grail, but they were pretty good.

Joe Williams said:
Went flying yesterday, a spectacular day to do so. ...

So good to hear you got up! Jean keeps telling me to go fly. It's not so easy when you rent. I like to fly when the urge hits. Having to book two weeks ahead kinda puts one in the position of "hav ta go" . Therefor I usually fly when I can make it work into my jobs.

Joe Williams said:
Went flying yesterday, a spectacular day to do so. Chose to make a short flight to LNS to visit Airways pilot shop, just for giggles and to give Sean something to look forward to. He loves flying, but he's got some issues flying in a Skyhawk, namely he gets scared of heights, and bumps don't make him a happy camper.

About 18 miles east, I tuned in Lancaster tower so I could start getting a picture of what was going on, and thought I heard a group of planes saying they were at 2500 over Lancaster headed east. Since I was at 2500 east of Lancaster, this got my attention. I called the tower to confirm what I'd heard, and it turned out to be a group of airplanes at 2500 east of Lancaster headed west. Sigh... guess I should have listened a little longer. In any case calling up so early sure seemed to ease my passage to the airport, since I was told to come straight in for 26, report 5 mile final.

Get on the ground, and forgot to change to ground freq before calling up. Then at some point I called the female ground controller "sir." Sigh.

Not a good day on the radio at all. But at least my flying wasn't bad. I've been working on being a lot smoother, not using so much bank (20 or 30 degrees doesn't bother me, but I suspect it's part of what's been causing Sean issues), and entering the banks a little slower, and Cathy and Sean both commented favorably. Sean was able to keep from being scared on the trip there. On the trip back, it was coming up on noon and the thermals had kicked up. They weren't too bad, and I want Sean to get used to them, so I didn't climb out of them. They are only going to get worse as summer goes on, so he's just got to learn to deal with them, same as I did. He seems to find it easier now that he knows I don't like them either. Misery loves company, I guess LOL. He munched on his Bugles and managed to have a good time on the trip back. He told me post flight that he still has "thoughts" before takeoff. Still, he insists on going flying with us, and so long as he's willing and appears to be enjoying I certainly am not going to make him quit!

My landings lacked perfection, a quest I'm always on and which I suspect will be as successful as the search for the Holy Grail, but they were pretty good.

Sounds like you're being harder on yourself than your main critic (The intensity of Sean's Bugle chomping ;) ). I'd say you did excellent if you're flying with someone who has a fear or uncomfortable flying and after the flight they were not worse than getting on. Keep taking him up, eventually instead of asking for the car for the weekend, he'll ask for the Cessna ;)

Must be the air around that airport, Joe. When I was working on my PP-RH add-on, LNS was one of the legs of my long x-country. On my initial call-up I gave my position as 10 to the west. In fact I was headed west and was really 10 to the east!

The controller finally figured that something was screwed up and asked me to ident. He gave me my position and then it occurred to me what I had done. I apologized with my tail between my legs... He let me land at the Airways ramp anyway, in spite of my screwup :yes:

Joe Williams said:

Glad you went, was a beautiful day! Sorry we weren't able to match schedules, we will try it another time. Of course.. the simple solution for the heights problem is to get a plane that has the wings attached to the correct part of the fuselage! :rolleyes: - can't see straight down as well. How does he do up front? Less of a problem?

Joe Williams said:

That was likely us, group of five, heading for York, maybe 9AM?, we were too lazy to climb over the Class C and the LNS folks are usually very helpful, even offered a "blue light special" if we'd land and visit the resturant! I may have just caught part of your call as we were leaving the Class C - at least the voice sounded familiar.

Joe Williams said:

Been there, done that :rolleyes: Don't sweat it! You just need more practice.

Joe Williams said:
and so long as he's willing and appears to be enjoying I certainly am not going to make him quit!

Hey.. so long as he still wants to go, won't be too long until he's asking for the car keys! (or maybe the plane keys?!)

There is no perfection in landings, every one is unique, so keep searching for the Holy Grail!

Gary

I remember I used to beat myself up about the radio.
Then a pilot friend from Aaaaalaaaaabaaaaaamaaa told me,"Keith, thar ain't no sucha thaing as thu raydeeo poleese. Lighten up a bit, and jus' tawlk naturlly."

Werkrd jus' fine fer me ever since. Tho my chilluns have a hard time unnerstandin me sumtimes....:goofy:

Keith Lane said:
I remember I used to beat myself up about the radio.
Then a pilot friend from Aaaaalaaaaabaaaaaamaaa told me,"Keith, thar ain't no sucha thaing as thu raydeeo poleese. Lighten up a bit, and jus' tawlk naturlly."
I've always found the radio work simple ... until I bought Pitts N3QQ. Try squeezing that into a rapid-fire radio call when your mouth is dry.

Gary said:
Glad you went, was a beautiful day! Sorry we weren't able to match schedules, we will try it another time. Of course.. the simple solution for the heights problem is to get a plane that has the wings attached to the correct part of the fuselage! :rolleyes: - can't see straight down as well. How does he do up front? Less of a problem?

That was likely us, group of five, heading for York, maybe 9AM?, we were too lazy to climb over the Class C and the LNS folks are usually very helpful, even offered a "blue light special" if we'd land and visit the resturant! I may have just caught part of your call as we were leaving the Class C - at least the voice sounded familiar.

Been there, done that :rolleyes: Don't sweat it! You just need more practice.

Hey.. so long as he still wants to go, won't be too long until he's asking for the car keys! (or maybe the plane keys?!)

There is no perfection in landings, every one is unique, so keep searching for the Holy Grail!

Gary

Yep, about 9 A.M. I suspected that was your gang, and thought about changing the destination. I decided I'd best not press my luck with my best buddy doing so well in the back seat. He's still antsy up front, until I get him distracted by the instruments or something. He does better in the back seat if we can distract him, also. Yesterday he worked hard at the same solution I've developed, namely don't look straight down past the main gear!! Still, you have hit upon the ultimate solution, and I'm scheduled to get checked out in the Tiger again this Saturday. If we can get away with it, though, I'd still like to rent from Perk Valley for some short flights a couple times a month. It's a much shorter drive than going all the way to Hortman, and I really like the people. Wish they had some low wing planes to rent.

Yes, the search for the Landing Grail will continue. My landings yesterday were much better than the ones I made with you, but then again yesterday I didn't have the excuses of a runway that's as hilly as a West Virginia highway, and a bunch of wind. With no excuses, I gotta get 'em pretty good LOL.

Ken Ibold said:
I've always found the radio work simple ... until I bought Pitts N3QQ. Try squeezing that into a rapid-fire radio call when your mouth is dry.

Landings that interesting?

Gary said:
That was likely us, group of five, heading for York, maybe 9AM?, we were too lazy to climb over the Class C and the LNS folks are usually very helpful, even offered a "blue light special"

Gary, Did I miss something? When did KLNS go to a class "C" did you mean Delta perhaps:rolleyes:

Joe Williams said:
Not a good day on the radio at all. But at least my flying wasn't bad. I've been working on being a lot smoother, not using so much bank (20 or 30 degrees doesn't bother me, but I suspect it's part of what's been causing Sean issues), and entering the banks a little slower, and Cathy and Sean both commented favorably.
That is something I have learnt to do with passengers on board--not too steep, and enter slowly.

I hate radios, every one hears your mistakes..

NC19143 said:
I hate radios, every one hears your mistakes..

Which can be a good thing. Keeps you honest and working hard not to make them next time. :) I can tell you some :hairraise: stories about some of mine, including the time the GFK tower and my instructor thought I must have been speaking in tongues. LOL!!

Glad you had a good flight, Joe.

terry

Ken Ibold said:

At least the end of Q leaves your mouth in the right shape to say it again. Do you separate them, or do you say "Kabeckabeck?" ;)

The worst trip-over-toungue tail number I've ever flown was N201RR - Yup, Ed Guthrie's Mooney. "Lancaster Tower, Mooney two zero one rome-ee-arr-um-rome-uhh-oy! Uh, inbound for speech lessons." :redface: Of course, Mooney's now my favorite retract single anyway. :yes:

Back