Trip to San Diego area - preferred GA destination?

bharris

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bernie - N7AUH
I'm meeting my wife in San Diego on Thursday. I will fly my Cherokee from Henderson, Nevada. We will probably return on Sunday afternoon.

It looks like the closest to Downtown is MYF, but SDM has lower AvGas prices. SEE is further out, but all are within 15-20 miles of downtown.

So, what airport would be the best to fly into?

Bernie Harris
N7895W

bharris said:
I'm meeting my wife in San Diego on Thursday. I will fly my Cherokee from Henderson, Nevada. We will probably return on Sunday afternoon.

It looks like the closest to Downtown is MYF, but SDM has lower AvGas prices. SEE is further out, but all are within 15-20 miles of downtown.

Bernie Harris
N7895W

I vote for MYF because it is the closest and has good access to the
freeways. I've never flown into any of those airports but I did live in the
area awhile.

greg

Bernie-

I haven't flown into most of the SD area airports, but am familiar with ground transportation in the area. MYF will probably work out best for you if your meeting is in downtown SD. Brown Field is quite a bit farther south. Traffic in SD can be bad. Also, from MYF, cab fare to downtown should only be marginally ridiculous (about 6-7 miles), or you could see if you could get a ride to the nearest trolley/rail station, which should only be a couple miles from MYF. Getting back from the station to the airport may be more of a challenge.

Jeff

bharris said:

Bernie Harris
N7895W

Bernie:

I fly into SEE several times a year and go there because it's a little closer to where most of my time is spent. There are a couple of FBO/tie down choices. I like Royal Jet. They can get a rental car for you if you call ahead. The city facilities are a little cheaper; you can check on Airnav.

MYF had Gibbs for years (the city recently took it over) and has an ILS approach. Good GA airport with rental cars available.

I've not gone into Brown, but understand it's also a good GA airport. Don't think it matters a lot if you're going to rent a car to get around. Each has plenty of lodging. Look at approached because you'll be coming in over the mountian and my need to make an instrument approach (or descent to VFR)even if it's VFR on the ground.

If you look at SEE, let me know, there's a reasonably priced hotel on a golf course I stay at for about 60 or 70 per night in a decent area in Santee.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

bharris said:

Bernie Harris
N7895W
I'm based at MYF. It's your best choice.

jkaduk said:
I'm based at MYF. It's your best choice.

I agree with John. I've been into all San Diego Area airports as a student pilot and MYF has the best logistics to downtown for GA.

Back