Trip to Fayetteville, AR, KASG v. KFYV

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
Hey team, I'll be making a trip to Fayetteville, Arkansas next weekend to do some camping, outdoorsy stuff. I'm sure there's not a big difference, but any intel on which airport is preferred up that way? (Drake field vs. Springdale Muni). I probably won't need a hangar looking at the extended forecast, but I'm big on the experience/service, so if anyone has any tips between the two fields please let me know!

BTW I'll be camping a few nights at Devil's Den state park.

Adam

I fly into Springdale often. Good fbo, cafe upstairs, usuallly has hot dogs and fresh spunkmiere cookies.

Gas is self or off the truck. They have excellent crew cars available.

Drake is kinda out there really. Has a VOt if you need it.

The bonus side of Drake is it is going to shave :30 or so minutes getting to Devils Den.

Both are really great airports (as is Rogers) with top of the line FBOs, cheap gas, and very nice courtesy cars. I use the one closest to where I'm going cause it's a wash otherwise.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback guys.

If you have your IFR ticket shoot the LDA into Drake. It's one of the most offset LDAs with a GS. It's a load of fun.

I would recommend Drake because it is closer to Devil's Den. If you have time, there is a neat aviation museum on the field.

Although I've not made that trip across the state it seems the vast majority of people I know fly into drake field when they go to NW Arkansas.

Also, the University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville (Drake field) so you gain the benefit of all the things that are found in a college town. If the winds are kicking up much, it can get a little bumpy to say the least.

Have a good time. I have spent quite a bit of time in that area. It is one of the best parts of Arkansas.

I also vote Drake. Last time I was there, they had a BMW 7-Series as a courtesy car. Not that it matters, but it's a nice departure from the usual. Pretty easy to find as well.

Last edited:
The downside to Drake is that it tends to be foggier than the other area airports since it's down in a river valley...the headwaters of the White.

Early starts might not be so early.

And remember that the entire area is Tyson country. The aroma when it's hot out can cause your lunch to depart.

Last edited:
'Devil's Den' reminds me of Gettysburg. Who had the name 1st??

Just funnin, have a good time.

Hello ! Hope you have a good time up here. I live about 10 min from FYV. Love our little slice of the country here. Did my training at Drake.The FBO has been taken over by the city. Millionaire and Skyventure are no longer on site. I believe they had the nice crew cars. Not sure anymore. Since there are no aircrafts to rent, I don't go there. :( The museum is pretty cool. Not only aviation, but military history as well. Like said before, ASG is pretty nice. Restaurant has good eats. If you need any tips or suggestions for local things or help, pm me.

Thanks everyone for the input. Trip is tomorrow, although WX forecast to be gorgeous I think I will file just for recurrent practice. Perhaps I'll do the LDA into FYV as someone mentioned before.

Back