Trip around Europe

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
First of all;

A little bit of background

I turned 30 a year ago in July and had my bday party in Florida. A lot of my friends turned up from back home, Finland, and apparently everyone had a great time.
One of the guys, a very good friend of mine, told me back then that he wants to have a "destination birthday party" as well. For some reason, he was adamant that destination would be Ibiza. His 30th was late May, 2014.

After two or three, thinking again it could have been four, beers, I said surely we'll rent a plane and fly there?
For some reason, he said "Hell Yes".
This seemed like a good idea at the time, but the day after, with a massive headache, I thought whatever, we'll see...

Earlier this year I asked him what does he want to do about the plane rental. He said "I thought you already sorted it?"
Damn, he was serious.
So I suggested perhaps we shouldn't just fly to IBZ, there are other places to see and things to do in Europe.

Just to expand a bit about the logistical issues we were facing.
I was at the time living in NYC. My friend was living in Finland. Ibiza is a long way from Finland, and even further away from NYC. We both have traveled alot around Europe, so most of the normal places are a bit BTDT to us. So it had to be something new. "We choose to go to IBZ not because it is easy, but because it is hard"...

So we decided we'll fly around for just over 2 weeks, with a week in Ibiza.

At some point we did a quick Helsinki/Finland->Tallinn/Estonia weekend trip, and my older brother joined us there. He said this is cool, and he wants to come along for the Ibiza trip.

So. We had 1 pilot, 2 pax, time to start figuring out what to do; the spec at the moment was: 3 people, long trip so has to be faster than a pa28/172. VFR only so no massive requirements for avionics. I decided an Arrow would be the best option for this trip. We decided UK is the best point of departure. Plenty of rental GA planes available, logistically easy for everyone, and prices were "reasonable" (Nothing in Europe is reasonable by US standards...)

I think I sent around 20 emails around to places with Arrows available for rent. I think I got 5 answers. Most of them were like "Sorry, we are a flying club and we only rent to our members". I used to live in the UK so I know the local "GA culture", so I called everyone and said ok, what if I join and become a member?
Everyone had a 1 month temporary membership available for something like this. "perhaps next time you could mention this on your email, eh?"

Anyway, I shortlisted 2 options, best option was a Turbo Arrow IV, somewhere in the Midlands. I said I'll be in touch the next time I'm in the country (I travel to the UK for work ~once a month...)

Before the next trip, apparently my friend, or my brother, had clearly been talking, and another friend from northern Finland said he could be interested if there's a place available. He runs his own business so he wasn't sure if he could get time off work for it though.
An Arrow is ok for 3 people, but with 4 people you can have enough fuel and passenger comfort for a single trip around the pattern, and thats about it.
I said yeah, no problem but we need a confirmation asap, because we have to change the plane type we're looking for if we have a 4th person onboard. He said he'll think about it. I thought "yeah, thats what they all say..."
Next day he called and said "take the bigger plane." He said he'll pay for his own share anyway, even if he couldn't make it. Oh, and he has a friend to join us, same deal. 5 People then, mmmmmkay. Let's start hunting for a plane all over again!

So, the new spec was; 5 people, with reasonable space for luggage. Shortlisted options were, a Bonanza, a Saratoga, or I'm going to get ME and a Seneca or maybe an Aztec.
The decision was easy in the end. It is impossible to rent a Bonanza in the UK, we found a few Senecas but the one feasible took 2 weeks to reply (he actually sent an email, 4 months later during our trip saying its available, do you still want it?...), so we decided on a Piper Saratoga.

Passengers were, thank god, around the "standard" weight, so the 3600lbs MTOW of a Saratoga is fine. The longest legs we planned to fly were around 3 hrs anyway, so we did not need to fill'er'up anyway. I told the pax your luggage allowance is similar to Ryanair/Easyjet in Europe, which pretty much means a laptop and a pair of spare underwear, and maybe socks.

I found 2 Saratogas in the UK, other one was an older one, PA32R-301, non-turbo retractable. The other one was a newer 6X PA32-301. Both were about the same price (around 290GBP/hr), older one was G430/HSI, 6X was 430/530. The owner of the older plane answered emails quickly, and everything seemed fine. The only problem was, that it was based in a short grass strip near Cambridge (Fowlmere, EGMA), and I had exactly zero experience on operating from a grass strip.
Oh well, how hard can it be? We agreed to rent this plane. The requirements they have were 5 hours of complex Piper experience, the rental checkride took about 40 minutes.

A few months went past without anything really, the trip would start on the 28th of May, and the guys from Northern Finland got their vacation plans sorted, so they were in.

Sometime in early May we started a massive Facebook planning marathon, trying to figure out what each of us wanted to see and do. The only "must be there"-place was Ibiza starting on the 30th of May, we had rented a house there for a week, so we kinda had to be there then.

We thought it would be cool to see the French Riviera from the air, and at some point we thought Jersey would be a fun place to stop as well. In the end we decided the trip would be roughly something like:

UK-random place somewhere in mid'ish France-Cannes/Nice-Ibiza-Sardegna-Pisa-Venice-Florence-Croatia-Somewhere in Slovenia-Vienna-Prague and back. We decided not to make any commitments, but just to look at the weather the day before we go and book then. So this route would be very flexible...

I had decided there's no point to start the trip itself from Fowlmere. First of all, the guys from Finland were flying to London, and getting to Cambridge from Heathrow is a bit of a pain. Also, no point to haul the plane to MTOW, and leave from a 2000ft grass strip... The plan was for the guys to fly to London on the evening of 28th, and I'll pick them up from Biggin Hill on the morning of 29th.

Anyway, time went by and 28th of May arrived. And the morning was just as bleak weatherwise that only UK May can be like. Rainy, foggy, grey, and generally crap.
Fantastic.
A friend of mine dropped me off to Fowlmere on that afternoon, and asked "are you sure you'll be staying here?" It was raining cats and dogs, and the "FBO" in Fowlmere is pretty much a small portable office building, and thats about it. It has WIFI, a printer etc so it sort of does what it's supposed to, but it is pretty far from anything or anyone. I said sure, of course. I'm sure it'll clear out in a few hours...
It was around 3PM, and I was watching my friends' car driving away, thinking to my self "hmm, was this very smart?".

The weather at that moment was, that there was a stationary low pressure area over the UK, but it was bringing in clear air from the east, slowly but surely. A few hours later, the cloud cover was significantly higher, but still too low. There was no wind.

Around 7PM I started looking at sunset times, and what time Biggin Hill closes. I was seriously suffering from Get-there-itis, "damn, I'm sure I can fly under that...". Visibility was great, but I was not sure about the cloud base. I decided I'll just take off and check it out.

The cloudbase was at around 900ft. Fine for a traffic pattern, but under my own minimums for a XC flight (note: it would have been legal to fly to Biggin Hill then, but only just...)

0830PM, still the same situation. I decided to give up and find a hotel nearby. The forecast was better for the 29th anyway.
I waited for a taxi for 2 hours before it found the airstrip...

This is what it looked like. The most annoying cloud layer, just a bit too low.

14840155332_08d8bcc5ef_o.jpg

After the long wait for the taxi, I got to the B&B and they had just closed the kitchen. The only thing to eat were peanuts. Which definitely did not cost peanuts. This bag of peanuts was 1,50GBP, what the f...

14653867139_eceb5d1da8_o.jpg

The trip begins

Morning or the 29th. Sunrise. Well, I couldn't see it, I was asleep, and it was cloudy. Just like the 28th. Had breakfast and felt miserable.
Oh well, optimist flies more. Down the full english, and head back to the airfield! There was VMC 10 miles away, but there was still hardly any wind. Thankfully the wind picked up that morning, and started blowing at around 5kts, just enough to get that VMC my way!
I was going through the METAR pages and refreshing them so often I think my F5 key might have fallen off. Slowly it was getting better. BKN009...BKN011...BKN013...BKN022, perfect!

I think I was a bit too excited, so I didn't take any pics from this leg. Just after noon I did send a SMS to the guys waiting at Biggin Hill, saying "I can see London already from here!".

The flight EGMA-EGKB is very simple. Route was EGMA-BPK-LAM, then LAM VOR outbound until you catch a radial from BIG VOR that avoids the London class A TMA. No flight plan was required for this segment.
After takeoff from EGMA (uncontrolled field), contact Farnborough Radar, who gave me vectors around London TMA. The only tricky bit is the EGMA-BPK. London Stansted airspace extends all the way over there, so you need to be careful not to turn towards Lambourne too early before you pass the beacon.

After a few "orbit left"s Biggin Hill cleared me to join left base runway 21. After landing follow the marshaller for parking. Met with the guys there, they looked a bit green so I asked was it a late one last night. "No, we were back at the hotel at 6AM". Okay, this will be fun.

After that it was time for the first excercise in the art of "pack a Saratoga". Everyone's suitcases were very light, fine, but I hadn't said anything about the SIZE. Damnit!

index.php

Well, the next jump would be the jump to Continental Europe, and more importantly, the Schengen Area.
The things to take into consideration when flying to France are, that the airport must have customs/have a local arrangement, and that there will be AVGAS available. The most common spot for this in France is Le Touquet, LFAT. We thought it was too close (it is a 30min flight from London), and decided on Troyes, LFQB.
International flights always require a flight plan filed, we did this by fax, and in Biggin Hill this means we get to be on the Departures board! GJPOT for Troyes, ready for boarding!

4 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Landing fees around 20GBP, no other fees at EGKB. Very good service, almost US quality...

So, plane packed, startup, request taxi. The weather looks alot worse than what it was. Cloudbase was around 3000ft. France apart from a few rainshowers CAVOK

5 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Routing was EGKB-DVR-St Inglevert and so on. This is Dover.

6 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Well, we hit one of those rain showers, so we decided to divert to Le Touquet, LFAT. Get the customs formalities sorted there and continue from there. France is great for VFR. No need for a flight plan, and ATC is very friendly.

7 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Story continues...

Last edited:
After LFAT we decided to head towards the original refueling stop, Troyes.
Troyes is a nice AFIS field with no ATC, only information. AVGAS is available from self-service pumps. There is alot of glider activity, and most of the RT is in French.
We made it in perfect time, at around 50ft AFIS told us he's going home, field is now uncontrolled. This means we saved the landing fee :p

8 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

In Troyes everyone was thirsty. We flew through France rather low, around 3000-4000ft, and the OAT was around +30C (around mid-80's). I don't think the boys are drinking AVGAS though...

9 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Leaving Troyes. Idea was to fly to Cannes, LFMD. Note the correct Piper taxi style, hand enjoying the cooling propwash...

10 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Weather was fantastic, just these occasional rainshowers, which were easy to avoid.

11 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Avoiding these, the diversion we had earlier, and some headwind, meant that it seemed we won't make it to Cannes in time. Cannes was closing at 09:23PM that day, and our GPS ETA said we would be there at 09:31. Oh well, this is general aviation. We had to find another place to crash for the night. Avignon, LFMV, looked interesting, so we decided to head there.
After a while we found a really nice tailwind, with this speed, we would've made it to Cannes at 09:22PM. Oh well...

12 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Anyway, land to Avignon, park the plane, and head to the FBO (they have an actual FBO there). Head to the pilot lounge, get online and book a hotel.
Call a taxi, head to the city and get one of these down as quickly as a man only can...

13 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Story continues...

Last edited:
30th of May

After overnighting in Avignon the plan was to head to Ibiza for the evening. The house we had booked was ours from the 30th, and we didn't want to miss a day of it.

Get a taxi, go to the airport, feel important when you say "not the passenger terminal, we go to the private terminal..."
First the GA handler was clueless about our plane, then they found it and told us to go to the cashier to pay the landing fees.
After an hour of french inefficiency, the new employee who was working the cashier accepted she cannot do her job, and said she'll call us and take payment with card over phone. I asked how much it'll be, "I'm not sure". Ok. (5th of August, no phone call...)

Avignon-Ibiza was a bit too long for our fuel reserves, so we headed to Perpignan, LFMP. Plan was to refuel, have lunch at the airport and head to IBZ.

Nice views over the Riviera on our flight, very turbulent though, with the northerly winds blowing over the mountains, causing some chop.
Land to Perpignan, head to the fuel pumps. In France it is pretty common that they only accept their own Total fuel card for payment. For other payment methods(Visa/MC/cash), there is a phone, you call a number and a Knight Rider arrives on a Peugeot, and takes payment (and usually does the refueling too).
After this, taxi to the GA parking and figure out a way to find some food.
Shame we were a bit tight on time, I could've spent hours looking at these planes who had clearly stood there for a while. All completely open and unlocked...

14 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

We exit the GA ramp through a series of one-way gates, straight into the edge of the long stay car park. "WTF?".
Enter the terminal, eat, and find "crew security". Thankfully the security guy spoke 2 words of english, so he understood we wanted to file a flight plan and pay landing fees.
We are shown to the OPS office, and have to file a flight plan. France has an online system for this, called Olivia, but it was not working that day. So the only way to do this is to call Marseille ATC.
All well and good, but surprise surprise, she spoke no english at all. Thankfully the ICAO form is very standard. "GJPOT, Victor, Golf, P32R, Lima, Sierra, Sierra, LFMP, 1345, November, 135, Victor Foxtrot Romeo" etc...

Short car drive back to the plane, and a quick briefing for pax about the first long water crossing of the trip. We had the life vests out of the back, showed the raft, no need to wear the vests, they are on in 2 seconds if needed.
Start the engine, contact ground, flight plan on file no problems, apart from the fact that Marseille got our dep time 6 hours wrong. No probs, we are VFR. If IFR this would've been a bigger issue.
Route was straight forward, LFMP-BGR-LEIB

Clear for takeoff, right turn, direct on course.

15 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Over Bagur, head towards the water...

16 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

17 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

And then stare at this for a few hours...

18 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

The guys at the back had their catering sorted. I was jealous.

19 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Crossing the med was boring as hell. First contact Barcelona, "no known traffic on your route", they had you over to Palma, who cannot hear you for a while, then handover to Ibiza, who cannot hear you for a while either.

Spanish ATC is godawful. They have poor radios, speak hardly any english, phraseology is whatever, and approaching Ibiza we got the vector of a century. "From your position fly heading 180, cross shoreline below 1000ft". Thanks my dear, but there is a mountain, that is 1700ft high, at my 180. And since they cant hear you, you cant argue back.
First time in my "career" I did a pilot diversion. I decided that today was not a good day to die hard (crashing into a mountain kills you, and that mountain is hard...). I decided to go around the island, and head to VRP S1 instead of N1 as originally planned. This was way too hard for the Spanish underpaid poor ATCO to understand, she started almost screaming "Calling on guard", thinking she was on 121.500 (you were on your own frequency you damn idiot). This continued until we were around Es Vedra, and were able to communicate with them again.
Ibiza/Eivissa is on the southern end of Ibiza Island, and there are a few mountains as perusual for a volcanic island. This means if you are below 1000ft on the north side of the island, you probably wont hear the ATC/they wont hear you.

20 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

21 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

After landing she asked me "why did you not fly to N1, why go around to S1?" I was too tired to argue, there were a few clouds over the island so I just said "unable to maintain VMC to N1". She seemed happy with this.

Park the plane, board the Ibizair Handling minivan they send for you, and get the rental car. Thankfully the house in Ibiza was nice, with decent views over San Antonio...

22 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Story continues...

Last edited:
This sounds like an awesome trip. But I can't see the pictures, only a "Please Login to view" box.

John

So, after a week in Ibiza, it was time to continue our trip. Our "friends in right places"-department had arranged us tickets to go and watch the Rally of Sardegna. Alghero was NOTAM'd PPR (Prior Permission Required), due to "congestion and lack of parking space".
I sorted this a few days earlier. I was slightly anxious because they answered all my emails very nicely, apart from the 5 when I asked how much the total will be for 3 days parking and handling...

So, return the rental car to IBZ, head to Ibizair located in the surprisingly large and busy private terminal at Ibiza. Ibizair was fantastic, we faxed the flight plan to Alghero, LIEA, and everything was hunky dory.
Ibizair charged around 250EUR for 7 days parking, handling, passenger this and surcharge that.
Time to refuel, again. With 5 pax, we didn't take more than 60 gallons of fuel onboard. This meant refueling was a frequent excercise. The problem at IBZ is that only "crew" is allowed at the plane. If pax are present, they need the fire crew to be available.
Its all good, but this meant that I had to go there, by myself, at 90F heat, and pack the whole damn plane and our luggage, when the pax were waiting at the Ibizair (air conditioned) passenger lounge. This flying around stuff is really glamorous!

23 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Oh well, refuel, pack, get pax in, startup and request taxi. Tower controller was fine, he got us out before the Vueling plane (who deserved to be number two, why does a commercial jet only speak spanish to the radio??)

24 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Takeoff clearance was "after takeoff immediate right turn direct S1, I aim to please, and started the turn at around 50ft. Fun flying!

25 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Oh well, again, another long water crossing. Ibiza, S1 outbound, direct towards Palma di Mallorca, go around it avoiding PMI TMA, then Menorca, and then a couple of hours of nothing.
Water in the Med is very clear indeed...

26 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

After another boring flight, approach to Alghero. En route, first talk to Palma control, then Menorca tower, then short bit of Marseille Information who can hardly hear you, and then Olbia Approach, Alghero approach, Alghero tower, and land. The end was pretty hectic, they kept us at 7500ft, until around 10 miles out, and during descent you get 3 frequencies in like 2 minutes. Pax ears weren't happy with the -2000fpm approach to Alghero...

27 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Park the plane, parking spot 32, and a bus transportation to the airport. At this point we were very interested about the handling price. Usually there is a small car to pick you up from the plane, this time we got an actual bus...

28 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr
Story continues...

Last edited:
So, a few days in Sardegna, interesting island, definitely worth a visit!

At this point, we had to decide how to continue. Alghero has no AVGAS, so we had decided to go to Figari, LFKF, in Corsica for refueling. It is only a 20min short hop from Alghero.

After that we had no idea what we wanted to do. We thought about Pisa, Florence, Venice etc.

Well, Italy is in the dark ages when it comes to GA. Nobody knows anything about anything, the airspace is a mess, and everything costs and arm, and a leg.
Also AVGAS is rare like hen's teeth.

Pisa was insanely expensive, Florence was even more expensive. Venice has two fields, the big one is, you guessed it, insanely expensive and the small one is just a grass strip. So we decided to fly over IT and head to Pula, Croatia. Pula seems popular, and they have AVGAS as well.

So, drive to the airport, and find the first person who seems to work there. Ask about how to get to the plane and the answer is "nooooooooo, is closed!". A mental "fck off" to him, and find another one.
After 3 or 4 people we find someone who knows whats going on, go wait outside the security, a handling agent will pick you up from there.

Half an hour later I decided nope, he's not coming. Back to the OPS office, use a slightly louder voice this time, and finally someone agrees to escort us through security.
Head through sec, to the handling office, fax another flight plan, and pay the fees. Thankfully they were reasonable, around 100EUR for everything.
Another busride to the plane, start up and contact tower.

"Surprise", they don't have our flight plan on file. "Surprise" you cannot file it over radio, "Surprise", Italy sucks.

Well, what else to do, head back to the handling office and leave the pax to the plane. Call Rome ATC from the handling office, file the plan, and head back to the plane. There was another bus parked there now, I thought hmm, why's that. Well, our 4 pax, and the bus driver were standing behind the bus, having a cigarette. I don't think you're supposed to smoke airside... :)

Anyway, everyone onboard, contact tower, "no flight plan sorry". I was getting a bit bored at this flight plan bs here so I used my angry convincing pilot voice and told him to look again. "surprise" it was found, yay. All this for a 20min flight to France.

Takeoff, and yes, the congestion is insane. I don't know how they fit all those planes in there. Definitely worth the PPR...

29 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Thankfully, after a very short exchange with another Alghero Approach-Olbia Approach they handed us off to the French ATC. Alghero routed us through 3 VRP's that weren't on any published maps. I just said unable, heading direct. They didn't seem to care.

Figari is a nice airport, and the traffic pattern to rwy 23 is funny when approaching from the sea. The ground rises that way where you're flying, looking like you are very very low and flying towards a mountain. Fun.

Land, find the usual Total thingy, this time Knight Rider was waiting so no need to call anyone. Again, the mandatory Piper taxi style...

30 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Refuel, another phone call to Marseille ATC to file a flight plan to Pula, LDPL.
France has alot of military training areas etc with various activity times, this time the big area just east off the coast of Corsica was active, so we had to go around it.
After takeoff, we got the feared "Contact Olbia Approach xyz.yyy"; thankfully they didn't even hear us. A plane flying higher relayed our message, we'll be at point X at time Y, see ya.
Contact Roma Information who couldn't hear us at all, then head towards Elba, contact Grosseto, Grosseto hands us off to Florence, who had the coolest "clearance" we had during this trip.
"Negative radar contact, cleared to enter the CTR, and if you stay below 6000ft you can do whatever you want" Okayy...

Florence then hands us off to Perugia, who handed us off to someone else, who didn't know what to do with us and handed us off to Perugia, who didn't know what to do with us. I then asked can we contact Pula, Yes you can. Thank you!

Croatia is a great country for GA. ATC is very professional, and everything just works. Fantastic.

Land to Pula rwy 27, taxi to stand and get on another minivan ride to the terminal.

31 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Croatia is not part of the Schengen Treaty, so you need to go through passport control there. Passport control is a police officer who I guess is there 24/7. I don't think running an airport like this is a good business, but it felt great at this point. After passport contol go to the terminal, which was completely empty. There was a plane leaving in 4 hours, there was nobody in there, but the bar was open!

32 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Pula was a nice town, unfortunately we were there on a Sunday so there wasn't much of nightlife. People were friendly, everyone spoke good english and so on.
Apparently there's an old roman amphitheater there and stuff. We just concentrated on beer and mojitos.

Story continues... (I'll fix the pics asap too)

Last edited:
The next destination was, again, something we had to decide on. We thought Vienna would be interesting, but Schwechat was very expensive, and requires slot coordination even for VFR traffic.
Bratislava is right next to it, and it sounded interesting. Lets go there then!

I had decided this flight plan bs is enough now, time to get an online subscription to one of the planning services. I chose eurofpl.eu, because they offered a free trial that lasted during the trip. Highly recommended, worked flawlessly.

Get to Pula airport, and pax heads straight to the bar, which was open again (and nobody at the airport, again).
We had got used to the Italian/Spanish "efficiency", with handling, and general general aviation stuff, so they were used to wait for 30 mins to an hour to get airside.

Pula was different. Find the info desk, there's a separate "GENERAL AVIATION INFORMATION" desk, I said we have a plane parked here and we would like to leave.
A minute(60 seconds) later two pretty girls show up and say we'll get you to ops, you can sort the landing fee there and then we'll take you to the plane. I said give me two minutes, the pax are at the bar.
Well, they had ordered enough beer for the 30 minutes they'd used to, I said no way, lets go.
I think they still finished all of the beer...

Head to OPS, make sure the eurofpl.eu flight plan was on file (it was), pay the handling/landing fees (quite expensive for an one night stay, 60EUR), and then the prementioned pretty ladies drove us to the plane.
Refuel, from this truck that obviously wasn't model year 2013...

33 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Croatia had the most expensive AVGAS on our trip so far, almost 2,50EUR/litre. From Pula head northeast, past Rijeka, towards Slovenia and Ljubljana CTR, past that and past Graz direct towards Bratislava. Vienna CTR is pretty large, so we'll be talking to the Hungarian ATC as well for a while.

Takeoff, climb to 6500ft, past an active paragliding area in moderate turbulence, contact Zagreb Information, who handed us off to Dolsko Information, who gave us the first "Unable to accept VFR traffic to Ljubljana". We had two options. A long detour around the CTR, or an even longer detour around the CTR.
I decided to see what happens after I unleash a trick from my pilots trickbook.
Orbit right 360, use my "convincing friendly pilot voice", "G-JPOT is 5 miles northeast from point ARMIX, would like direct point EBITI then direct OSMOT". Sometimes this works, it makes ATC think you actually know what you're doing.
"G-JPOT, you are cleared to enter Ljubljana Control Zone, Direct EBITI direct OSMOT", at OSMOT contact Graz, OSMOT-SASAL in Austria, SASAL is the FIR point with Hungary, so we were handed off to Budapest Control. Budapest was nice, VFR direct LALTA. Problem at LALTA was that we were at 7500ft, and Bratislava is about 3-4 miles away. Contact Bratislava Stefanik Tower, 4 miles out, 7500ft, land... Thankfully a Saratoga drops like a stone. -2500fpm all the way to 500ft. Nice straight in approach, steep as hell though. Fun!

34 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr

Again, follow the marshaller, who drove us to the GA terminal. I had done flight planning with "paper-pen-ruler" method, I wasn't too far off. Note the difference between ETA and ATA. I was 2 minutes off...

35 by mikkotuomi, on Flickr
Story continues, I'll fix the pics and write the rest tomorrow. Its 03:15AM in Seoul at the moment...

Last edited:
Great adventure.!!! Sounds like you guys had a blast. Can't wait for the rest and for the pictures.!!!

Way too Long of a story who goes to party in Ibiza taking their own plane ? I wouldn't plan on getting back alive after partying there.. Jump ona cheap flight n go **** ga for this trip lol

Back