Trip 1 successfull, Trip 2 not so much (yet).

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I had big flying plans for this weekend. Friday's trip was from Minneapolis to Purdue and back. I was picking up my daughter and another student to bring them home for the holidays. The other student had an exam that ended at 9pm so I knew I'd be getting back late. Just a couple days ago the wx forecast called for freezing precip appearing in the Mpls area Friday night, as early as 8 or 9pm and I came close to asking the student's parents to find him an alternate way home. But as the weekend drew near the bad wx got delayed more and more so. By Friday AM it appeared that we wouldn't have any problems as long as we got back by midnight and both legs went pretty much without a hitch, even had a tailwind most of the way in each direction.

But as much as the weather gods were helping Friday, they snubbed me today. The original plan was to catch a good night's sleep then make a flight to Salt Lake City late Saturday morning for some skiing. Unfortunately the weather system that stalled long enough for Friday's trip provided a fairly impenetrable barrier of freezing rain, snow, rain, and high potential for SLD in every direction I checked that didn't require a multi hundred nm detour. The Skew-Ts suggested tops above 17,000 and freezing temps below IFR minimum altitudes and I decided to wait and see if tomorrow is better.

That's ok, Lance- our WX was fine, but we could not fly today because we had to stand over Tommy and threaten I'm with grievous harm if he did not complete his college applications.

I did go to the airport and, in sunny 75-degree weather, wash the Bo.

Overcast 50F and raining. However, the airplane is ready for the East coast trip, T-7 days.

KDAL 160301Z 1603/1624 20005KT P6SM BKN210
FM161800 24017KT P6SM FEW250

Just sayin' :D

CDW, KHFD, and then Sugarloaf or WVL to drive to Sugarloaf. "Gathering of the family" :)

Hey Doc. When the tribe gathers does everyone tell you about their aches and pains? :lol:

Have a safe and happy holiday. Fly safe, we need ya man.

CDW, KHFD, and then Sugarloaf or WVL to drive to Sugarloaf. "Gathering of the family" :)

Have a great trip! I don't think there's much snow yet up there, but if you were planning on skiing Sugarloaf might have a coating of man-made.

Back