Tried on a DA-40

JustinPinnix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
After years of reading about the Diamond DA-40 and thinking how it looked like the perfect plane, I got a chance to sit in one today. Unfortunately, I don't fit in it. When I close the canopy, my head presses against the ceiling. There's no way I could fit if I were wearing a headset.

Dang!

After years of reading about the Diamond DA-40 and thinking how it looked like the perfect plane, I got a chance to sit in one today. Unfortunately, I don't fit in it. When I close the canopy, my head presses against the ceiling. There's no way I could fit if I were wearing a headset.

Dang!

Just for reference - how tall are you?

6'4". I have a long torso, so it's possible that other 6'4" people with longer legs may fit fine.

Hmmm.. Interesting.. I'm 6'7" and think I'm fairly 'proportioned' for a taller person. I'd be interested to try to fit in one. I'd like to try a Mooney on for size, too. *some day*

Hmmm.. Interesting.. I'm 6'7" and think I'm fairly 'proportioned' for a taller person. I'd be interested to try to fit in one. I'd like to try a Mooney on for size, too. *some day*

Chris: You'll love the Mooney and hate the Diamond. :(

Oh man, that sucks!

I'm 6'4" and I just barely fit without a headset. I have to slouch just slightly with the Lightspeeds on. If the club purchases a DA40, I'll be getting an in-ear headset to go along with it.

I'm only 6'1", but I find that I don't fit in a lot of gliders if I sit in the seat properly. However, if I bring along a bit of lumbar support, I can move my butt a bit forward, basically simulating a more reclined seat. Of course, this only works if the rudder pedals can be moved far enough forward.

Chris

Wow chris, you're 6'7"?? How do you fit in any airplane? Although I'm 5'4" and dont exactly fit myself, most airplanes are too big! You know its bad when you've used the check out notebook and your logbook as a back cushion in a 172. I finally got a real one. The DA-20 fit great though! Although I think the cabin size is comparable to a 152.

I have a few hours in a Diamond, and I don't fit either. I am 6 feet tall, and I hit my head on the canopy at irregular and unexpected intervals while flying the DA-40.

(Think: "Wow, look at tha....Bonk!") :dunno:

--Matt

I just flew a DA40 this weekend for the first time. That was a lot of fun! (5'11", no head-bonking) Rolls like a glider with those huge wings, and flies like one too... We had so much time during the engine-out simulation! In spite of that, it moves right along. Next time I have 300k sitting around with nothing to do, I'm going to buy me one! :rofl:

--Cedric

I am just a tad under 6'7" 270lbs and it really stinks when it comes to airplanes.

I own a c 172 and a Cherokee Six (head just touches headliner) I can fit in most Cessna's larger than the 150's and most low wing Pipers with seat ALL the back. No one can use the passenger seat behind My seat in the Six.

A few other planes I would have liked to owned. Super Cub, Maule, Champ,Citabria Fit No WAY! Have not found a place for a tailwheel checkout that has an airplane that I can fit in

I guess I will just have to buy a C-180 instead, some day. What a bumber!!!!:D

I have trouble in a Bonanza, (Head room) Have to ride with my head tilted to the center.

Yes it would be nice to be average sized as a pilot.

Jon

A few other planes I would have liked to owned. Super Cub, Maule, Champ,Citabria Fit No WAY!

You don't fit in a Super Cub? I'll admit, they're a ***** to get into, but at 6'4" I don't recall being close to anything when I finally slithered in.

The trick, BTW, is to sit on the far back end of the door sill, grab a hold of the tubing in the top of the cockpit, swing your legs through the door, and use the tubing like monkey bars to slither into the seat.

I have trouble in a Bonanza, (Head room) Have to ride with my head tilted to the center.

Likewise, though I'm sure you have to tilt more than me.

Ever flown a Mooney? They're very nice for us tall guys.

Oh, and don't even think about a Columbia. When I'm sitting in one, my head is sticking out and I'm looking right at the front of the door frame where it bends over to the top of the fuselage. I dunno how anyone over 6 feet gets in one of those.

I am just a tad under 6'7" 270lbs and it really stinks when it comes to airplanes.

I own a c 172 and a Cherokee Six (head just touches headliner) I can fit in most Cessna's larger than the 150's and most low wing Pipers with seat ALL the back. No one can use the passenger seat behind My seat in the Six.

A few other planes I would have liked to owned. Super Cub, Maule, Champ,Citabria Fit No WAY! Have not found a place for a tailwheel checkout that has an airplane that I can fit in

I guess I will just have to buy a C-180 instead, some day. What a bumber!!!!:D

Jon

I'm glad to find someone else close to my stature (I'm 6'7" as well), although I don't have as much 'mass' as you. ;) I feel your pain, brother. When I did my PPL checkride in the 152, the DE asked "How do you get in that thing!?" I said "I don't get in it, I put it on!"

I was in a club that had a Cherokee Six, but they didn't have club seating installed, so the middle seats were completely useless with me and my dad in the front (he's 6'5").

It's interesting to hear someone else give a heads-up about what airplane types to look out for size-wise. A 180 would be nice, though. :yes:

You don't fit in a Super Cub? I'll admit, they're a ***** to get into, but at 6'4" I don't recall being close to anything when I finally slithered in.

The trick, BTW, is to sit on the far back end of the door sill, grab a hold of the tubing in the top of the cockpit, swing your legs through the door, and use the tubing like monkey bars to slither into the seat.

I can get in a Super cub but Can not fly it once I have it on.

Likewise, though I'm sure you have to tilt more than me.

Ever flown a Mooney? They're very nice for us tall guys.

I would really like to try a Mooney on.

Oh, and don't even think about a Columbia. When I'm sitting in one, my head is sticking out and I'm looking right at the front of the door frame where it bends over to the top of the fuselage. I dunno how anyone over 6 feet gets in one of those.

I would scare me to go that fast anyway.

I'm glad to find someone else close to my stature (I'm 6'7" as well), although I don't have as much 'mass' as you. ;) I feel your pain, brother. When I did my PPL checkride in the 152, the DE asked "How do you get in that thing!?" I said "I don't get in it, I put it on!"

I was in a club that had a Cherokee Six, but they didn't have club seating installed, so the middle seats were completely useless with me and my dad in the front (he's 6'5").

It's interesting to hear someone else give a heads-up about what airplane types to look out for size-wise. A 180 would be nice, though. :yes:

that's funny - you put the seats all the way back, I put mine ALL the way forward. you're over a foot taller than I am!

HEY KENT AND CHRIS

We should start a basketball team or
WE SHOULD PUT TOGETHER A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTORERS FOR DISRIMINATION AGAINST US LARGE SOULS.

They would all be crying if I made a really nice airplane and anyone under 6ft could not reach the rudder pedals.
We could Call it THE ........ "REAL MANS PLANE" NOT ONE OF THOSE SMALL GIRLY PLANES.

Jon

I can get in a Super cub but Can not fly it once I have it on.

I can't use the last notch of flaps because the bar makes me put my leg a little closer to the center (blocking the stick) than I'm comfortable with on final (when you'd normally be using that flap setting). Other than that, it works OK.

We should start a basketball team

Uhh, you don't want me on your team. I played for three years and scored a whopping six points. Being tall, everyone asks me if I play basketball. NO!!! I just walk around and hit my head on stuff. :rofl:

They would all be crying if I made a really nice airplane and anyone under 6ft could not reach the rudder pedals.

Yeah, it's called a Mooney. I believe there's actually an STC for something that's effectively like putting blocks on the rudder pedals. :D

Uhh, you don't want me on your team. I played for three years and scored a whopping six points. Being tall, everyone asks me if I play basketball. NO!!! I just walk around and hit my head on stuff. :rofl:

no worries, Chris was an all star community college B-baller.

Yeah, it's called a Mooney. I believe there's actually an STC for something that's effectively like putting blocks on the rudder pedals. :D

or wearing platform shoes?

I have to find a Mooney and see how I fit. I never realized they were Tall friendly. That is a plane I just looked at me never fitting in.

I played B ball some but I was always better at football and and Base ball.

So Kent you throw Chris the ball and our job will be to keep the other team off him and let Chris do the rest.:D

Jon

HEY KENT AND CHRIS

We should start a basketball team or
WE SHOULD PUT TOGETHER A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTORERS FOR DISRIMINATION AGAINST US LARGE SOULS.

We could Call it THE ........ "REAL MANS PLANE" NOT ONE OF THOSE SMALL GIRLY PLANES.

Jon

It's been a few years since I 'really' played bball, but I might be able to figure things out again. ha!

I'll have to run the airplane lawsuit by my Business Law instructor this week and see what kind of case we have! :D

The good thing about building a plane yourself -- you can put the seats where you want them! :yes:

Last edited:
Back