Tricky Instrument Rating Question - Slightly Modified

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
So, funny thing... I just took the knowledge test for the instrument rating. I haven't really tried to remember the answers because I really want to understand how to do it. Plus, I figured it might bite me. This morning, I inadvertently memorized one answer, and it bit me.

Since I hadn't done one for several weeks, I decided that I should work through one of the calculation problems. I did this just a couple of hours before I left. I wanted to have the concepts fresh in my mind, figuring then, I could work though whichever one I might get. So, I randomly chose this one and worked systematically through it:

Question_GJT_DRO_Holdiing_Time.jpg

To do it, you have to calculate the time enroute and related fuel burn in both directions, consider how much fuel you need for the extra 45 minutes required by the FARs, subtract the sum of those three numbers from 68 gallons to get a fuel surplus, and convert the fuel surplus to a maximum holding time at 15 GPH.

In doing the sample problem, the "Flight Logs" were the source of the TAS, like this:

Question_GJT_DRO_Flight_Logs.jpg

Using the above TAS values of 174 and 175 knots, the given wind, and the magnetic variation, I determined that the answer was about "1 hour 33 minutes".

I did this just about 2 hours before I took the real test.

Lo and behold, the same freaking question comes up. I read it twice to make sure and, yup, same question. Awesome. What are the odds? So, I just click on "1 hour 33 minutes" and move on.

Nope. WRONG ANSWER. And, I really know how to do it. But, still, wrong answer.

As it turns out, the question has been slightly re-worded with the underlined weasel wording so that the TAS in the body of the question "trumps" the TAS in the figures, and so that the correct answer (I think) is now "1 hour 42 minutes":mad2::

(Refer to figures 21 and 21A, 22 and 22A, 23, 24, 157 and 159.) After departing GJT and arriving at Durango., La Plata Co. Airport, you are unable to land because of weather. Assuming TAS = 185 knots, how long can you hold over DRO before departing for return flight to the alternate, Grand Junction, Walker Field Airport?
Total useable fuel on board 68 gallons
Wind and velocity at 16,000 2308-16
Average fuel consumption 15 GPH

I guess they're trying to trap folks that memorize the questions and answers. Sneaky boogers.

Anyway. Just FYI...

Last edited:
I've gotten nailed by stuff like that in the past. That's why I learn the material and then take the test. It's more beneficial that way, like it's supposed to be.

I've gotten nailed by stuff like that in the past. That's why I learn the material and then take the test. It's more beneficial that way, like it's supposed to be.

Ha. I totally agree with you, but I did learn the material.:yesnod:

I was just unlucky to have this particular question so top of mind. I sort of feel like I got tricked.

Back