Tri-County Regional [LNR] (Lone Rock) ?

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Was looking at places to stop for breakfast on the way home from OSH. LNR is about 30 minutes out and AirNav says the restaurant on the field is open on Sunday. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience there as the last reviews/fuel prices on AirNav are from last spring. Thanks.

Ummm, Steve? Don't you live SOUTH of OSH?

Try JVL for a great restaurant on the field, the CAVU cafe.

Also a lot of planes in and out of Oshkosh stop at Watertown. The FBO there is first rate. The restaurants there are Perkins and Culvers which you can get plenty of in Oshkosh and elsewhere. Perkins has always had great service when I've visited, even in Oshkosh during AirVenture.
http://airnav.com/airport/KRYV

Last edited:
Well, JVL is indicating $4.18/gal (Watertown is $4.28) and LNR is $3.60/gal if AirNav info is current, which is why I ask the question. That is nearly $40 difference in the planned fillup if the relative prices are accurate. It only adds a few nm over the entire route to go a little west to LNR.

The IAR has the range to go non-stop from LNR to home base so it would be a good jumping off point after breakfast. Also, the IAR tends to run hot with long taxi times. so a smaller field is preferred when available. Plus I want to support airports that endeavor to maintain an eatery on the field that is more than just a franchise, which is why I'm stopping at Dexter, MO (DXE) on the way up.

mikea said:
Also a lot of planes in and out of Oshkosh stop at Watertown. The FBO there is first rate. The restaurants there are Perkins and Culvers which you can get plenty of in Oshkosh and elsewhere. Perkins has always had great service when I've visited, even in Oshkosh during AirVenture.
http://airnav.com/airport/KRYV

Funny, I always consider Watertown the place to go for Steakfyre, a grill-your-own steak joint. We head up there at least a couple times a year from Clow.

Also, Wisconsin Aviation, at both Watertown and Madison, is great. I think Kent flies out of their Madison base. Leslie says "good cookies" about Wisconsin Aviation.

gprellwitz said:
Funny, I always consider Watertown the place to go for Steakfyre, a grill-your-own steak joint. We head up there at least a couple times a year from Clow.

Also, Wisconsin Aviation, at both Watertown and Madison, is great. I think Kent flies out of their Madison base. Leslie says "good cookies" about Wisconsin Aviation.

Me too. I hardly think of LNR as the resturant is greasy spoon chic. For B-fast I woudl consider the short walk to Perkins

There is edible food, nothing special, but it is on the field. Call the FBO and check the hours. If I recall they might be closed on Sundays or at least have limited hours.

gprellwitz said:

Yeah. I thought about it, but didn't mention Steakfyre. We haven't tried it yet. Besides, Steve wants breakfast.

The Wisconsin Avaition in Watertown has these postcards addressed to the mayor, "Dear Mr. Mayor, We flew in and spent $_____ and dined at ________ " which they came up with when he said he had no idea what bsuiness the airport brought in. They put out the cards before Oshkosh last year and he complained that he got hundreds of them.

mikea said:
Yeah. I thought about it, but didn't mention Steakfyre. We haven't tried it yet. Besides, Steve wants breakfast.

The Wisconsin Avaition in Watertown has these postcards addressed to the mayor, "Dear Mr. Mayor, We flew in and spent $_____ and dined at ________ " which they came up with when he said he had no idea what bsuiness the airport brought in. They put out the cards before Oshkosh last year and he complained that he got hundreds of them.

What an excellent idea. Did it help the Mayor to understand the $$$ the airport brings in or did he just continue to play dumb?

mikea said:
I missed the breakfast part, but still think that Steakfyre is worth a mention, just so people know it's there. If only Charlies was a better restaurant, I'd consider similar cards at Clow. I hate to have to say that, but I'm not going to lead people astray. OTOH, there are a BUNCH of other restaurants in walking distance (within a mile). Most of them chain, but still, off the top of my head:

Red Robin
Bennigans
TGI Fridays
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Patio (ribs, burgers)
Joe's Crab Shack
Noodle's & Company

and some fast food:
Wendy's
Quiznos
Steak & Shake
Chiptole
KFC/Pizza Hut
Krispy Kreme

Steve said:
Was looking at places to stop for breakfast on the way home from OSH. LNR is about 30 minutes out and AirNav says the restaurant on the field is open on Sunday. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience there as the last reviews/fuel prices on AirNav are from last spring. Thanks.

Steve,

I've been there once - Had lunch with Lance Fisher, Moxie, Dave Siciliano, and his three nieces. I don't remember the food as being spectacular, but I don't remember it as being awful either! IIRC they're open until about 2 PM though they may have extended hours around OSH (if they're smart anyway!)

The restaurant is on the north end of the ramp at the west end of the field IIRC. You have a nice long east-west runway and a little tiny north-south blip of a runway.

I'm sure the field could use your business. :yes:

gprellwitz said:

I was gonna mention that. Who goes to RYV for Perkins anyway? :rolleyes:

They also have a location at Juneau (UNU). As mentioned in another thread, GREAT FBO. Their fuel price won't be the cheapest around (nor the most expensive) but they don't abuse the fact that they're the only game on the field (in all three locations). $4.36 for 100LL at MSN today. But the cookies are free. :yes:

Thanks! I think it fits my profile better than the "larger" airports. It's kinda hard to screw up a couple of eggs and bacon (but I've seen it done). And I don't mind fueling myself. FWIW, the N-S rwy is reported closed UFN, which is too short with the displaced thresholds for me anyway. I'm still debating whether to make a short hop for fuel & food or just blast off for the homeland Sunday morning. If I climb high and get on the 02 I have about 6.5 hrs range VFR .

Btw, the waitress at Dexter, MO last Saturday, while taking our order, asked "Did you drive in or did you come down out of the sky?" Never had a server ask that before! :)

flyingcheesehead said:
Steve,

I've been there once - Had lunch with Lance Fisher, Moxie, Dave Siciliano, and his three nieces. I don't remember the food as being spectacular, but I don't remember it as being awful either! IIRC they're open until about 2 PM though they may have extended hours around OSH (if they're smart anyway!)

The restaurant is on the north end of the ramp at the west end of the field IIRC. You have a nice long east-west runway and a little tiny north-south blip of a runway.

I'm sure the field could use your business. :yes:

I've eaten at Lone Rock several times. I've never been disappointed, but I'd also never call it gourmet. The pancakes are bigger than the plates they come on, and the biscuits and gravy are a meal and a half. The restaurant closes at 2PM.

ALWAYSLEARNING said:
I've eaten at Lone Rock several times. I've never been disappointed, but I'd also never call it gourmet. The pancakes are bigger than the plates they come on, and the biscuits and gravy are a meal and a half. The restaurant closes at 2PM.

Hey another NW suburbanite!!

Where you flying out of? I am based at 10C and live n Cary. I used to work in Libertyville but now I am down in the big city, Schaumburg.

I'm at C81. I did all of my training there. Gave Stick and Rudder a whirl, looked at other places, but found that the 7 minute drive to the airport was priceless.

Thanks for the info. Gourmet is not a requirement, for sure.

I'm also considering Morris, IL (C09). It's a little closer to my direct route. And gets me further down the road for a fuel stop.

Wx and timing will play into the final choice.

Steve said:
Thanks for the info. Gourmet is not a requirement, for sure.

I'm also considering Morris, IL (C09). It's a little closer to my direct route. And gets me further down the road for a fuel stop.

Wx and timing will play into the final choice.

I think the fuel at the self service pump at KARR is cheaper than at Morris. But no food on site. You could take a crew car and go into Bristol for the best hamburger ever.

ALWAYSLEARNING said:
I'm at C81. I did all of my training there. Gave Stick and Rudder a whirl, looked at other places, but found that the 7 minute drive to the airport was priceless.

Very cool. MikeA is at C81. I did a lot of my training at 3CK and now keep my plane at 10C.

Steve said:
Well, JVL is indicating $4.18/gal (Watertown is $4.28) and LNR is $3.60/gal if AirNav info is current, which is why I ask the question. That is nearly $40 difference in the planned fillup if the relative prices are accurate. It only adds a few nm over the entire route to go a little west to LNR.

Gas prices, arggh. I found an Advisory Circular from January 1965 (PDF: http://tinyurl.com/gqtdh) that describes how to start and manage a flying club.

They have actual copies of by-laws and flying rules from a flying club in Austin, TX at that time... it says that members won't be reimbursed more than $0.28/gal to $0.32/gal depending on where they purchased it (inside or outside of CA).

Gosh... filling up the C172 at $0.30 would cost me a whopping $16.80 for 56 gallons, instead of the $200+ we're paying now.

All I'm going on is airnav.com but currently KARR shows $4.11 for SS, C09 lists $3.80 (guaranteed).

Plus I'm trying to avoid the complication of leaving the airport environs. Wx may change my plans "irregardless" [that's for Diana].

Back