Trend in Classifieds......

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Anyone else notice a rash of brand spakin new members posting some oh so tantalizing items for sale? Im not all that smart, but something just ain't right.

Garmin 430s, Stratus' , awesome headsets........ You won't catch me even entertaining the idea, but some sucker won't be able to resist. Not calling them scammers...... But C'mon man. Something just ain't kosher with what's been going down recently.

Usually if the vibes aren't right I'll gladly pay a few $$ more for peace of mind.

There are ways to try to check on the seller, some have feedback on fleabay or other sites. Of course you have to cross reference everything. If things check out, you may get a better deal, as others decide to pass.

I checked on that Aspen. He was a member on Beechtalk. The 430 was proven to be a scammer. Stopped checking on all the others becuause I'm not going down that route.

Let me repeat myself (you guys love it so much when I do)...

We should require a minimum number of posts in the general forums before a member can post in the classifieds. 50...100...whatever...

i.e. You must TRULY be a member before posting something for sale.

If...

IF...

That function is available in the new software.

We should require a minimum number of posts in the general forums before a member can post in the classifieds. 50...100...whatever...

If...

IF...

Sounds like a smart move.

Also, ALWAYS use PayPal for these types of transactions.

I hadn't noticed but thanks for the heads up. I'm always scouring the classified for a want/needed part. I've gotten my second Bose, a GDL39 & a Battery Minder from long time posters here and on AOPA. I only deal with well-known posters so agree with Tim's post 100%.

If...

IF...

I agree, and if you don't I've got a bridge for sale cheap.......

The 430 was proven to be a scammer.

Hmmm...I didn't catch that.

But, now that you mention it, there are two 430 ads that have been removed. (I think)

I called the one guy out for cutting and pasting a Wentworth ad.

I checked on that Aspen. He was a member on Beechtalk. The 430 was proven to be a scammer. Stopped checking on all the others becuause I'm not going down that route.

My friend bought that aspen with no issues.

If...

IF...

I s

I say buyer beware, allow newbies to post ad's, and let things sort themselves out. The first post I ever made to any of the RV forums was to sell an empennage kit. Totally legit, but I didn't have any reason to post until I had something to sell.

My friend bought that aspen with no issues.
If he sent money on that 430, he'd be assed' out though.... The Aspen was cross posted and he was BT legit.

A less visible scam that I've heard of: if you post that you "want to buy" something, you'll get private messages from scammers offering deals that are too good to be true.

Such scams are less visible because the scammers aren't posting publicly. And I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about it.

Take a look at the fraud verbiage/warning on Barnstormers; a lot of scum bags out there, and multiple variations on scam techniques. Phony escrow outfits, guys stealing models of avionics they already have, keeping the hot one, and selling their legitimate box.

Back