Transponder died -- smartest choice?

While I agree this is probably a smart (cheaper) thing to do, if your transponder dies tomorrow, what do you do? Pick up a cheap mode-c to get you to 2020 or bite the bullet? To tell you the truth, not sure which way I would go in 2014, in 2018 I would go with ADS-B compliant.
If you believe some of the avionics advertisements, you should upgrade now before the BIG push in 2020 :rofl:

Having been in the situation, starting the thread, and digging deep in the matter, the following is (my probably faulty logic) and what I did.

As I saw it, there were four options:
1) Get a refurbished, yellow tagged, bench-tested 76A replacement with a 6 month warranty for $750.

2) Get a quality solid-state unit like a GTX327 or old but solid GTX320. For my plane, shop estimates ranged from $2500-$2700 installed for the 327. $1800-2000 for an old 320.

3) Do ADS-B Out now to meet the mandate. Using a GTX330ES, that's around $5500-5700 for my plane.

4) Do full-blown ADS-B In & Out with a GTX327 and GDL88 for about $7000-$7500.

Thinking there's no downside to waiting until 2020, I just paid the $750 and slid in another well-tested yellow-tag unit with strong tube throwing out a full 250W. Even if it fails, I could buy nearly 3 more units and still be less than a base-level, non-ADS-B GTX327 now.

My money/belief is on more options being available down the road. Even if there are no new options, I see no benefit to shelling out the money 5.5 years early. Also, if we're to $10-15/gal 100LL by 2020, I'd feel pretty dumb dropping $5-8k to make a plane compliant then being shaken out of the market.

As for the benefits of ADS-B, I fly IFR 90% of the time so the traffic information is of minimal interest -- there's ATC keeping me away from other traffic and calling it out. As for Wx, it's nice but I like the added information of XM (winds aloft, freezing levels, etc.). If I flew more VFR, the traffic information and basic weather may be more appealing.

So, in the end, I paid $750 and am biding my time as I too could see little compelling reason to comply with the mandate early. Time will tell if it was the right route.

Thanks Chris and other fans!

Thanks Chris! I have never taken thanks or praise for granted. Our company is lucky to have such a strong following and glad that you are part of this esteemed group!!

In fact, the majority of our sales of our intercoms and audio panels is by way of word of mouth. With only a small ad in AOPA Pilot (and this limited print advertising has been our practice for the last 10 years), I just have to believe that the word of our quality products is happening during hangar flying and at $100 hamburger runs.

Word of mouth, along with innovative products, is really our life blood. That's why I make sure that our customers are well taken care of and provide the technical support they want, I try to always be available.

Thanks again Chris.

Sincerely,

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

Last edited:
The theoretical problem with waiting until 2020 is that the avionics shops don't have the capacity to get all planes retrofitted. I think the realities won't be an issue for most pilots, but that's the theory.

We chose to go with a GTX327 and will add ADS-B later and separately.

As for the benefits of ADS-B, I fly IFR 90% of the time so the traffic information is of minimal interest -- there's ATC keeping me away from other traffic and calling it out. As for Wx, it's nice but I like the added information of XM (winds aloft, freezing levels, etc.). If I flew more VFR, the traffic information and basic weather may be more appealing.

A little thread drift - while that's theoretically true, I've had as many "close calls" under IFR as I have VFR. Mostly close to an airport (like when they cleared a takeoff in the opposite direction on the same runway I was cleared to land on).

A little thread drift - while that's theoretically true, I've had as many "close calls" under IFR as I have VFR. Mostly close to an airport (like when they cleared a takeoff in the opposite direction on the same runway I was cleared to land on).

:hairraise:...:eek:...:yikes:..

I hate it when that happens...:nono:

Re: Thanks Chris and other fans!

Thanks Chris! I have never taken thanks or praise for granted. Our company is lucky to have such a strong following and glad that you are part of this esteemed group!!

In fact, the majority of our sales of our intercoms and audio panels is by way of word of mouth. With only a small ad in AOPA Pilot (and this limited print advertising has been our practice for the last 10 years), I just have to believe that the word of our quality products is happening during hangar flying and at $100 hamburger runs.

Word of mouth, along with innovative products, is really our life blood. That's why I make sure that our customers are well taken care of and provide the technical support they want, I try to always be available.

Thanks again Chris.

Sincerely,

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

Ha!

My 8000B is going in right now. Cannot wait!

Welcome to PoA. How long until we persuade you into making some other avionics? :D

Back