Tranferring G1000 to 6 Pack Gauges

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

So...I talked with a really nice school today that has excellent instructors and two brand new Cessna 172s...they have great availability, they have great structure, everything sounds great.

But...I am just not sure about switching mid way through my PPL to a G1000 when I have been learning the six pack gauges. Also...most of my flying after I get my PPL will be with the six pack gauges.

It really sucks because this place would work awesome for me but they only have G1000s...

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Why do you need to switch? How much do those new Cessna's cost per hour?

You won't be spending much time looking at the PFD and MFD. Just read up on the different electrical system and fuel injected system. It flies the same.

This is about getting your ticket.
Adapt and learn to fly.

From my experience, not a big deal. I was supposed to train in a steam gauges...due to a scheduling screw up, school put me in a G1000 for the same price...thought "cool, but will never be able to afford one when I go to buy or rent". Because of that concern, my CFI and I did a few flights in a steam gauges plane and it was not an issue at all for me to process the information in a different format than glass that I was training on.

Now I own a plane with an Aspen panel...and the funny thing is, even though I trained on glass, I fly almost entirely by the steam gauges for primary flight information even tough I have a digital readout right in front of me.

Get the G1000 time if you can...it will open up more rental options SHOULD you want it in the future. Only difference is how the information is presented to you visually.

I would argue that a G1000 trained pilot can hop in a steam gauges plane any time, but a steam gauges pilot can not just hop in a G1000 cockpit and go.

I started my training in a steam gauge Cessna just to have a good feeling for the scan and then after 15hrs I shifted to the G1000, gave me an opportunity to acclimate to both for my post PPL renting and when I originally bought my plane as it was steam gauge originally and then I converted it to glass panel (G500).

Phew - I thought I might get some real flack for posting this thread...glad to hear many of you have done the same - this place is nice and I really like this instructor just from talking to him. No final decision made yet but I will know in the next 24 hours what I will do.

I have many many hours in both G1000 and round dials (and various other iterations of glass). You should have no problem switching between the two. I wouldn't recommend hopping in a round dial and going into low IFR right after you get your IFR ticket but the transition is no big deal, one or two flights both ways you'll be fine. The G1000 is a great tool, has fantastic features, teaches you to use your resources and provides good situational awareness which i truly believe transitions to safety. You've already done half your stuff in round dials so you got that experience, I would say go for the new experience. especially if the place better suits you and seems like a bigger fit. I wouldn't let the avionics suite keep me away from something that is a better opportunity. If after you get your ticket you'll be flying in a round dial more often you could always grab an instructor and do one or two flights just to refresh on the matter if you need be

Phew - I thought I might get some real flack for posting this thread...glad to hear many of you have done the same - this place is nice and I really like this instructor just from talking to him. No final decision made yet but I will know in the next 24 hours what I will do.

In this day and age it doesn't hurt to have plenty of G1000 experience. Having experience with both means you can generally walk into most flight schools and a checkout ride will be very quick.

It's probably a bonus it have both experiences. I wish I had that option at my flight school just to train with it some hours.

As long as you can remember you're learning to fly VFR, as in eyeballs outside, you'll be fine.

CC268, same thing happened to me about 25 hours in. Sucked, but after a time or two sitting on the ground with the G1000 manuals I was good to go on their basic operation. Your flow and instrument scans are what really need recalibrating, but given that VFR minimizes head-down time anyway, that's less of a deal too. And frankly, nobody's saying you can't use the 'backup' steam gauges (altitude, airspeed, horizon) on a more regular basis... just make sure you know how to read the info from the glass when you have to!

Let us know how it works. That G1000 has a LOT of knobs. I don't know it. Some do.

Where I trained we routinely went back and forth between stream and glass. I went straight into my instrument rating after PPL and we continued to switch between them. Depended on aircraft availability. I think they had two 172s of each flavor.
I preferred the round gauges in training but ended up buying a plane with glass panels.

No big deal. Fly as many different types of aircraft and platforms as u can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many hours of use behind a G1000 to get familiar with it? I always have thought that the use of instruments was the weak part of pilot training.

Not many, for a VFR pilot you don't need to know all the instrument aspects of the G1000, just know whats required for VFR ops.

Shouldn't be a big deal, I would say that renting a G1000 is probably going to be way more expensive compared to a steam 172 or a 150, so I wouldn't do it.

Not many, for a VFR pilot you don't need to know all the instrument aspects of the G1000, just know whats required for VFR ops.

Shouldn't be a big deal, I would say that renting a G1000 is probably going to be way more expensive compared to a steam 172 or a 150, so I wouldn't do it.
Yep. The OP's eyes are going to be 90% outside so it's not going to be a big deal. Just needs to know the different systems.

Last edited:
Actually gonna be sticking with the original flight school...but at some point I would like to learn the glass panel.

This is true IF the VFR pilot is already familiar with two axis coupled autopilots and Garmin buttonology.

You can get basic familiarity in a few hours (leaving the autopilot off, and using only direct-to and simple flight plans) but proficiency, even VFR, requires much more than that.

Personally, I avoid G1000s when I have the choice. They weigh a LOT and IMO, it's stupid to make a 182 that is challenging to fit three adults in.

I'm with MAK here....pilots who fly G1000s are total noobs. :p

MAK for me I prefer to fly the plane with no instruments...that way I can seat 5 or 6 people in my 172

I'm with MAK here....pilots who fly G1000s are total noobs. :p

MAK for me I prefer to fly the plane with no instruments...that way I can seat 5 or 6 people in my 172
The G1000 could be the difference between you taking another pax or some baggage.

I was just having a good time guys

Transition from steam to G1000:

I recommend not breaking the glass on the VSI if the static system gets plugged.

Back