Training With 2 Instructors?

Bmaker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bmaker
New student and first time post. Like many, after 20 years of work, family and other obligations, I have finally started my lessons. I am only about 5 hours in but can't wait for every lesson. Unfortunately, my job keeps me traveling all of the time. The latest project has got me stationed very close to a well known pilot supply company and flight school. Is it unethical or even smart to look at possible taking lessons from 2 instructors at the same time? If not, it could be months between lessons with my current instructor. This is not an issue with my current instructor as I like his methods and is an incredible pilot. This is simply a question of trying to move my training forward.
Thanks all

Sure you can, but it's probably going to end up taking, I don't know, 25-30% more hour$ :dunno:

Ouch! Less time calendar wise but more money and flight hours wise. Something to ponder I guess...

If you are going to be flying with the second instructor for "months" and then go back to the original instructor to finish, is that what you are saying? If that is the case, I don't think it adds much time to your training. Back and forth would certainly add time. And to answer your original question, it is perfectly fine to do that.

Sure you can, but it's probably going to end up taking, I don't know, 25-30% more hour$ :dunno:

If the other option is going months between training flights, he's looking at that anyways. I would think continuing to fly and learn, even if with another instructor, would be much preferable to going long stretches between lessons.

If the other option is going months between training flights, he's looking at that anyways. I would think continuing to fly and learn, even if with another instructor, would be much preferable to going long stretches between lessons.

This is true, might be best to just maybe wait till he has some vacation time and just go full bore and get it done.

More sets of eyes on your flying will only help.

I'd do a couple with the closest guy, then 1 with your local guy, and then back to the closest guy.

See how that works. Your local guy should appreciate it and give you good stage check and pointer info.

Also: PUT THEM ON THE PHONE TOGETHER. It's not at all uncommon to have multiple CFI's in your training. Coordinate with them.

This happens all the time in structured training programs.

Ideally the two instructors are working off of the same syllabus and talking to each other. Inevitably each instructor will have their own methods of doing things, but if your goal is to fly and not wait, it can work out.

One consideration- if one of the instructors is a designated pilot examiner (DPE), the other instructor can sign you off to ride with him. You won't get an easier check ride, but you'll certainly be familiar flying with him or her.

The way it looks like right now is I would have maybe 3-4 flights with my " job site" instructor and then a couple with my " home" instructor. Repeat as necessary. One this project is over, I would be back home full time. I plan on being honest and up front with both before I move forward so we all know what we are signing up for.

You usually pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

No problem. Print off a syllabus and explain situation to instructors. I am currently in that same situation and actually feel like I'm getting better training. My CFI's have two different flying styles which in turn gives me two different perspectives. Long Gaps between training will do more harm in my opinion so fly every chance you get.

I want to Die with Memories, Not Dreams!

Find ONE instructor that can instruct you at the rate YOU WANT.

Very doable, just requires coordination between the two instructors. I learned to fly with 3 different instructors. All at the same pt 61 school. There might be a little overlap but different perspectives are good and practice never hurt.

I used 4 instructors for my PPL... 1 Primary, 1 as a supplement and also did spin training with him and then 2 for mock checkrides... finished in 48 hours so maybe with one I would of finished in 40...

For instrument I also used 2 instructors and did my checkride at 40.5 simulated.. I find the perspective of multiple CFIs useful.

20 years ago my company had a service/training contract with several mines. I would be on site 3months to 1 year depending on the contract.

I had 6 flight instructors in 3 states. I ended up getting my PPL in Spearfish, SD. I think it took 50 hours. It only took a short time to transition from one instructor to the other.

You have a syllabus to follow and in 15 to 20 minutes of flight the CFI can determine how proficient you are in preforming maneuvers.

No big deal, start your training and have fun....:D

If you're like me, you'll end up have 3 or 4 instructors anyway... I fired 3 of them, Hot-shot, Hot-temper, and just plain bad teaching skills...

Both instructors should be working off the same PTS so it shouldn't matter. If your "home" instructor is any good at all and isn't teaching for the money, should only take but an hour of flight time once you are back home for good to see what needs to be covered to finish up. And that goes with how ever many different instructors you use while away. There may be some fine tuning but overall, continuing while away from home is far better than infrequent lessons. Really depends on just how good and honest (no slander intended) your home instructor is.

Excellent advise all. I too believe that overall, it would be better to keep flying with different instructors than to take a month off here and there due to my work travel. I will likely be at the job site next week so I will reach out to the new school and see what's available. Thanks again.

If you get the Sportys or other video based ground school you can watch it while riding in the big plane. Sportys have the Syllabus in the back of the training book that you will want each instructor or you to fill out how you did on the flight training part. You will be responsible for managing the training plan. Even with one instructor I found that they have a hard time keeping up with where each student is so you have to remind them.

Good advice. It's ironic that you mention Sporty's. That is the other school I am
considering as they are only 20 minutes from my job site.

I did it once a month or so when I went to visit the girlfriend out of town. My instructor was a young new instructor and was starting to get frustrated teaching me if I would not have something click. Landings initially gave me trouble. I went to the second instructor with what I was having trouble with and worked on those tasks. My primary instructor was impressed after I came back from the first lesson with another instructor. He recommended I do it as often as I could because it allowed us to progress along without frustration.

Flying with different instructors gives you another insight into how things can, or should, be done. When I first started teaching, I taught the way I was taught. As my experience grew and I flew with other pilots, BFR's, ICC's, checkouts, I adjusted my teachings to incorporate new/different things I picked up along the way. Experience makes the instructor but he/she has to be willing to adapt to better and more productive ways of teaching.

Having said that, jumping around between instructors while working on a PPL usually leads to inflated costs and hours. But a good instructor can analyze your skills in a very short time and go on from there. Personality clashes do not work in the cockpit. You have to respect and believe in your instructor. That's what separates the good ones from the not-so-good ones. New instructors do not have the experience to deal with a student that may be having a hard time with a maneuver and another ride with a more experienced instructor is usually the answer.

Back