Training never ends

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I only get my son for one week this summer since he took a summer job 522 miles away from home. :sad: I was hoping we could do his instrument training this summer, but I guess that will have to wait. I did take him up in a Cherokee 140 today to introduce him to that wonderful little airplane since most of his time so far has been in Cessna 150s. He really enjoyed the 140 which rewarded him with three greasers on his first (and only) three landings. Tomorrow I think we will do the Cherokee Six and get his high performance endorsement. Back in March on spring break we did several outings in the Jabiru Light Sport. That was a bit more challenging for him than the Cherokee! We still need to work in a few flights in the Bo A36 to get his complex sign off. Dang. A week is not enough!! Oh, we'll...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 111
I will be doing a similar son marathon in a week. Chris will be home for about a week and a half before heading off to Bahrain for a year. Just looked, that is about 7038 miles.

I will be doing a similar son marathon in a week. Chris will be home for about a week and a half before heading off to Bahrain for a year. Just looked, that is about 7038 miles.

Enjoy it! We will at least get to fly up to see him up there this summer. Bahrain...probably not so much!

And you're thinking it's a coincidence that so many girls seem to be hanging around the airport?

I only get my son for one week this summer since he took a summer job 522 miles away from home. :sad: I was hoping we could do his instrument training this summer, but I guess that will have to wait. I did take him up in a Cherokee 140 today to introduce him to that wonderful little airplane since most of his time so far has been in Cessna 150s. He really enjoyed the 140 which rewarded him with three greasers on his first (and only) three landings. Tomorrow I think we will do the Cherokee Six and get his high performance endorsement. Back in March on spring break we did several outings in the Jabiru Light Sport. That was a bit more challenging for him than the Cherokee! We still need to work in a few flights in the Bo A36 to get his complex sign off. Dang. A week is not enough!! Oh, we'll...

I am actually trying to convince Chris to bring his Harley Nightster home for for me to watch while he is gone. Maybe I could talk Plane Extreme into letting me deliver an airplane to Bahrain. :rofl:

Nice. Didn't know the cherokees were approved for spins. I don't think our club's 161's are, anyway.

Cool video I'm getting more used to flying where I can handle a little it of that type of stuff.. Btw You sound like a cool dad !!

Wouldn't a week be enough for the complex checkout? I know the A36 is a lot slicker and faster than the 140 and C150.

On another note, how do you like the Jabiru?

Wouldn't a week be enough for the complex checkout? I know the A36 is a lot slicker and faster than the 140 and C150.

On another note, how do you like the Jabiru?

Oh, the complex can be done in an hour or two, usually. But we'd drag it out just 'cuz it's fun to fly the Bo!

As for the Jabiru, I love it...it's like wearing an airplane! But it can be pretty demanding, too. A C150 or Cherokee 140 is an easier trainer, but if you learn in the Jab you'll be a better pilot because it is more demanding. You HAVE to use your feet when flying it...adverse yaw more like a glider. On landing it has a very short wheel base and the sides slope inward towards the nose, making it sorta tricky to fully grasp what "straight" means! It took me several hours to make peace with her, but now I love to strap it on and go flying. But it's way easier from the right seat than the left because that's where I've spent 95% of my time there. I jumped in the left to flyover to a IMC Club meeting the other night and it felt really strange in the left seat.

Oh, and I love the GRT PFD, although the buttonology takes awhile to master. They need a good PC sim.

Back