Trail of wrecked Cherokees

andybean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
andybean
Just back from a great cross country with my 13 year old son.
California to Canada via Oregon and Washington. Canada to California via Idaho. These were both non-fatal accidents. Both on 3000 foot plus runways. They both landed long and skidded into the trees/ditch.
Having landed at both of these strips, its pretty amazing they could not get it down. I almost cried when I saw the Commanche. It was completely re-done. Glass pannel, leather interior, new engine and prop. New paint.
Just a gorgeous plane.
I landed on a number of grass strips with my turbo Arrow this trip. Much to my surprise I found the take offs much more challenging than the landings.
I was down easily in the first half of the runways. My short field take offs leave alot to be desired and I will work to become more profficient at these prior to my next adventure
I will post some pics of the trip whenever I can figure out how to reduce the size of the attachments.
Enjoy.
The Commanche was at Cavenaugh Bay Priest Lake. The 140 was at Johnson Valley Idaho.

Attachments

• Picture 180.jpg
    Picture 180.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 235
  • Picture 219.jpg
    Picture 219.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 210
Looks more like a PA-28-180 to me, and at Johnson Creek................not Valley.

But these mountain airports take many airplanes every year, especially those whose pilots are too cheap to take some mountain flying instruction. Like from here:

http://www.mountaincanyonflying.com/

Looks more like a PA-28-180 to me, and at Johnson Creek................not Valley.
Definitely not a -140, but could also be a Cherokee C 150 or 160 -- neither much better than a -140 in the high country.

But these mountain airports take many airplanes every year, especially those whose pilots are too cheap to take some mountain flying instruction. Like from here:

True that.

Pencil me in as too cheap. That's hella expensive for flight training. hop over on the MT side of the mountains and you'll great mtn flying instructions for a fraction of the cost. Though I don't suppose an old dude in a grimey hangar with an old C180 is as sexy as over paying for a super cub.

Definitely not a -140, but could also be a Cherokee C 150 or 160 -- neither much better than a -140 in the high country.

True that.

Flew a Cherokee 150B around MT/ID/OR/WA for 3 years.. Works fine, just don't be an idiot.

Could never understand flying into an airport not knowing if you can stop.

1. Get the length of runway at your destination.

2. Mark off 1,500' distance on your home runway.

3. Do stalls in your plane to ensure you are flying by the numbers.

4. Practice on your home runway until you are landing (touching down) on the numbers and stopping within 1,500' .

5. In the event you cannot land on the numbers of your destination airport go around.

:dunno:

Last edited:
It may come as a surprise to those who flew Arrow for a while, or flew truly tricky ariplanes, but Arrow was surprisingly tricky to master for me, even after training and taking a checkride in Cherokee. At first, I would always have too much energy. When I tried to land it for the first time, I had to go around two times in a row, and tower reminded "it's a good thing you're not in a glider". Eventually, the check-out CFI suggested that I start flying the proper 3-deg slopes, like on instruments. With that, I started getting it landed more or less consistently, and so he signed me off. I went to Texas to see Jay like that. Long story short, I eventually went up with my old primary CFI, who quickly diagnosed the problem: unlike Cherokee, Arrow accelerates nose-down too well and I cannot hope for the flaps to bail me out. He taught me to slow down before the approach started. In that case, it's possible to keep Arrow from accelerating away. By following it with 1.25Vso and full flaps, I started making landings that were very close to book numbers. It really was a light bulb moment. There's a little bit of trick to it still, because getting it too slow means that it dips the nose before flare is complete and then I run a risk of wheelbarrowing it. I suspect all of it sounds trivial to the experienced, but it was quite humbling and edifying.

I'm wondering if many Arrow owners and renters continue flying the flat PAPI-controlled profiles and then float. The CFI who taught me that was vastly more experienced than my primary CFI.

It's all about energy management, that's one thing big boats with little (or no) engines teach you well and quickly. Always carry the minimum possible speed when you're gonna contact something firm, and get to that speed plenty early.

Pete
You described the Turbo Arrow charachteristics perfectly. Specifically the flat approach and tendency to float.

So Andy did you land at Mackay Bar? We usually get six or more bent airplanes in the backcountry every year. Most are flatlanders that don't have a clue. As for backcountry instruction being expensive, all I can say is you get what you pay for. Don

Don we got smoked out. We made it to Cavenaugh Bay and Johnson Creek.
We left Johnson Creek for Thomas Creek, got in the air and the smoke was just too thick to even see into the canyon. Even if I could have gotten in we would have had to wait it out to get out. I wound up cutting the trip short a couple days. I changed my mind on Mackay Bar this trip and did not plan on going. I found my landings plenty profficient and I am confindent that I would have gotten into Mackay Bar. But my short field take off techniques were really poor. We took off at Skykomish Washington. 2000 foot with pine trees at both ends. Even with a good downhill run I barely got over the trees. Armed with that scare, I opted to pass on Mackay Bar at 1700 foot long. I'm going to get some instruction on short field takeoffs before I return. But you can bet I am going back.
What a blast. I loved the airplane camping. You truly have to experience it to understand the awesomeness of it.

Don we got smoked out. We made it to Cavenaugh Bay and Johnson Creek.
We left Johnson Creek for Thomas Creek, got in the air and the smoke was just too thick to even see into the canyon. Even if I could have gotten in we would have had to wait it out to get out. I wound up cutting the trip short a couple days. I changed my mind on Mackay Bar this trip and did not plan on going. I found my landings plenty profficient and I am confindent that I would have gotten into Mackay Bar. But my short field take off techniques were really poor. We took off at Skykomish Washington. 2000 foot with pine trees at both ends. Even with a good downhill run I barely got over the trees. Armed with that scare, I opted to pass on Mackay Bar at 1700 foot long. I'm going to get some instruction on short field takeoffs before I return. But you can bet I am going back.
What a blast. I loved the airplane camping. You truly have to experience it to understand the awesomeness of it.

Every pilot needs to camp at Johnson Creek at least once in their lives... Cavanaugh Bay is not as remote and you can enjoy an adult beverage at the lodge overlooking the bay.

Both strips are easy to land/takeoff from... It always amazes me when people will wad one up at those places.:dunno:..

The one at Cavanaugh Bay is most disturbing as Citation jets go in and out of there...

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/jamesp1961/?action=view&current=IMG_1538.mp4

Last edited:
My favorite place is Sulphur Creek. Great people that operate it and there are several cabins to stay in with great food included. Don

Back