Traffic Pattern question. VFR

Would that depend on a right or left traffic pattern? Or regardless, fly offset to the right?

At a towered field the direction of turns in the pattern is determined by the tower. Unless told otherwise, an aircraft instructed to go around should overfly the runway and climb to pattern altitude.

This is exactly right. I was denied landing clearance once on short final because a southwest 737 was only two miles behind me and that's not enough time to land an get off the runway in the 172 I was flying. Tower told me to go around and side step to the right. The side step serves two purposes as far as I can tell. One, it allows you to maintain visual with the runway and two, it allows the faster plane an option to go around on runway heading if they had to. In over 200 landings in the logbook thus has only happened once so it's not a common event.

In that case the tower instructed you to side step, absent that instruction you'd be expected to overfly the runway. From the P/CG:

GO AROUND− Instructions for a pilot to abandon
his/her approach to landing. Additional instructions
may follow. Unless otherwise advised by ATC, a
VFR aircraft or an aircraft conducting visual
approach should overfly the runway while climbing
to traffic pattern altitude and enter the traffic pattern
via the crosswind leg. A pilot on an IFR flight plan
making an instrument approach should execute the
published missed approach procedure or proceed as
instructed by ATC; e.g., “Go around” (additional
instructions if required).

I was denied landing clearance once on short final because a southwest 737 was only two miles behind me and that's not enough time to land an get off the runway in the 172 I was flying. Tower told me to go around and side step to the right.
Wait......you were already cleared to land ahead of SWA and tower told YOU to go around so the 737 could land???

If so, that is pretty messed up.

Would you rather the 737 go missed?

Regardless, it's appropriate for the 172 to go around in that situation. And, IMO, it's not 'messed up'.

Well, unless the 172 pilot was dilly-dallying, the need for the go-around was the result of either the controller botching the sequencing/separation or the Southwest pilot's excessive approach speed (most likely given the airline mentioned).

Would you rather the 737 go missed?
If the need for the go-around was created by the 737 pushing the approach speed to make their quick turn and eat up the separation that the controller created, then yes, SWA needs to suck it up and go around.

I say this because in the last several years I have seen that airline get a bit too pushy with their speed both on the ground and in the air. I lost count on how many SWA jets I have seen going around at SAN because they can't slow down on the approach.

Thanks everyone. I think this topic clears this up for me. Has not been a real scenario, but something that came to mind and made me think.. I assume this could also be a possibility if someone cuts you off and lands without clearance in front of you. :)

In 25 years I have not been cut off at a tower controlled field, at least not without prior arraignment. Pilot controlled fields are another story, but even then it's been rare to have a conflict.

Well, unless the 172 pilot was dilly-dallying, the need for the go-around was the result of either the controller botching the sequencing/separation or the Southwest pilot's excessive approach speed (most likely given the airline mentioned).

That the need for a correction was caused by one or more of the three parties involved goes without saying. What's messed up about instructing the C172 to go around instead of the 737?

That the need for a correction was caused by one or more of the three parties involved goes without saying. What's messed up about instructing the C172 to go around instead of the 737?

Steven, this is a GA board. You're likely to get a different response from a commercial operator's board.

If the need for the go-around was created by the 737 pushing the approach speed to make their quick turn and eat up the separation that the controller created, then yes, SWA needs to suck it up and go around.

And if the need for the go-around was caused by the 172 pilot dilly-dallying or the controller botching the sequencing/separation?

And if the need for the go-around was caused by the 172 pilot dilly-dallying
Then by all means tell his sorry butt to go-around.

I will admit to being a wee bit cynical entirely due to the airline mentioned.

Conversely, if he was told to go around for an AMR flight, I would have KNOWN it was the 172's fault:yes:

Last edited:
Then by all means tell his sorry butt to go-around.

I will admit to being a wee bit cynical entirely due to the airline mentioned.

Conversely, if he was told to go around for an AMR flight, I would have KNOWN it was the 172's fault:yes:

So the aircraft that caused the go-around to become necessary is the one that gets sent around, without regard to the big picture?

What if the need was caused by the controller botching the sequencing/separation? Which aircraft goes around then?

So the aircraft that caused the go-around to become necessary is the one that gets sent around, without regard to the big picture?

What if the need was caused by the controller botching the sequencing/separation? Which aircraft goes around then?
Kind of depends.....ultimately it is a judgement call for the controller.

But like I said, I just suspect that the issue was pushed by the particular airline in question.

Let's think about this, with the exception of some slow poke putzing along like some old mo driving 35 mph on the interestate, even if the controller doesn't add in a cushion in the separation, the 737 pilot (if he has half a brain) knows that he needs to keep the approach speed reasonable. The idea that a jetliner with paying passengers is somehow more important is exactly why a 737 ended up on its belly at SNA several years ago.

Kind of depends.....ultimately it is a judgement call for the controller.

But like I said, I just suspect that the issue was pushed by the particular airline in question.

Let's think about this, with the exception of some slow poke putzing along like some old mo driving 35 mph on the interestate, even if the controller doesn't add in a cushion in the separation, the 737 pilot (if he has half a brain) knows that he needs to keep the approach speed reasonable. The idea that a jetliner with paying passengers is somehow more important is exactly why a 737 ended up on its belly at SNA several years ago.

Do you believe the idea that a jetliner with paying passengers is more important than a 172 contributes to the controller's judgment call?

Big Picture:

737 GA: 132 pax worried. 5,000 lbs minimum of Jet A burned. More strain on system sequencing a 737 back to approach for a 25 mile circuit. Pilots duty time affected. Airlines resources spent. Pax on ground waiting for next flight delayed.

172 GA: 1 pilot not worried. 2 gallons of 100LL burned. Very little strain on ATC system. 5 mile or less pattern to get back. No pilot duty time issues. Pilots resources spent. No pax on ground getting delayed.

From ATC's perspective the 172 is going around each and every time regardless who is at fault. The only time the 737 is going around is if it's safety related. ie, the 172 is emergency aircraft. The 737 reports overweight and wants to fly more. The controller feels it's safer for the 172 to land instead of the 737. That sort of thing.

You seem to focus on SWA. Yes, they do push their schedules. That's what they do. But they are also professional pilots and I'm not so quick to throw them under the bus and conclude they 'flew too fast'. They get paid to move iron and get from A to B...but they are professional pilots first and I doubt any of them are about to throw safety out the window.

I'd be more likely to think that either the 172 pilot or the controller screwed up. But, regardless of who's at fault the proper thing to do is send the 172 around except for extreme circumstances.

You seem to focus on SWA. Yes, they do push their schedules. That's what they do. But they are also professional pilots and I'm not so quick to throw them under the bus and conclude they 'flew too fast'. They get paid to move iron and get from A to B...but they are professional pilots first and I doubt any of them are about to throw safety out the window.
I am focusing on SWA because in the past several years, I have seen them get more and more aggressive and less professional as they push the limits of safety. You don't have to throw the book out to push things over the limit. No one in the 121 world pushes quite like Southwest.

Do you believe the idea that a jetliner with paying passengers is more important than a 172 contributes to the controller's judgment call?

It can feel that way sometimes.

Going into KCLT, I started getting ATC vectors 65nm away for traffic (that I never saw). The vectors (of course) were taking me off course and delaying my arrival. Then when I got cleared to land, I got constant poking from the tower ("do you have 18L in sight" "Have 18L in sight, cleared to land" - I need to get lined up for it after you vectored me in another direction away from the airport, geez). Then when I was about 150agl "Traffic 6 O'clock 3 mile final, expedite!"

I thought about replying "Yeah, tell him caution for my wake turbulence"

Here is my issue with the scenario in question. I have seen alot of go-arounds....mostly involving either two GA or two 121 aircraft. Every case I have seen where controllers were having to mix GA with 121 jets, ATC did an outstanding job of handling the mix.

Now, in every single GA vs GA or 121 vs 121 go-around, it was always the aircraft in trail that was told to G/A.

So this idea that because we all of the sudden have an airliner behind the 172 with all of those paying passengers, then it suddenly has priority is simply jacked. It creates a dangerous precedent for 121 operators like Southwest. Why should SWA slow down or square his turn to final if he knows the GA aircraft ahead is going to be the one told to go around? ??? It was that exact mindset that caused the SNA accident.

I am focusing on SWA because in the past several years, I have seen them get more and more aggressive and less professional as they push the limits of safety. You don't have to throw the book out to push things over the limit. No one in the 121 world pushes quite like Southwest.
it's fairly predictable how employees of the losing company react to people who not only work for the winning competitor, but who also seem to enjoy their jobs more.

it's fairly predictable how employees of the losing company react to people who not only work for the winning competitor, but who also seem to enjoy their jobs more.
I'd say your prediction is wrong: I'm active duty Navy.....I don't have a dog in the fight. Just my own personal observations.

SWA business model is quick turns and expiditious and efficient flight. I am friends with guys at SWA. Everyone I have ever been in contact with is the utmost professional and would never push speed down final to force a go around for anyone.

But let's suppose your right and this particular flight had Maverick in command and he did push the power up to get to the gate quick. Well, I submit that 99.9% of the airports served by SWA has radar in he tower. If Maverick was being tricky trying to force a bug smasher off the road then Tower would be there to assign a speed.

That didn't happen from the story. I think this is a case of an honest mistake by either the 172 or tower. It's not a big deal and the 172 went around. There's no reason to throw the 121 pilot or his airline under the bus here. Things happen and in this case it got resolved...correctly.

Last edited:
Here is my issue with the scenario in question. I have seen alot of go-arounds....mostly involving either two GA or two 121 aircraft. Every case I have seen where controllers were having to mix GA with 121 jets, ATC did an outstanding job of handling the mix.

Now, in every single GA vs GA or 121 vs 121 go-around, it was always the aircraft in trail that was told to G/A.

So this idea that because we all of the sudden have an airliner behind the 172 with all of those paying passengers, then it suddenly has priority is simply jacked. It creates a dangerous precedent for 121 operators like Southwest. Why should SWA slow down or square his turn to final if he knows the GA aircraft ahead is going to be the one told to go around? ??? It was that exact mindset that caused the SNA accident.

That the airliner was given priority because of all those paying passengers is strictly an assumption on your part. One of the aircraft had to go around, it's more likely the 172 was selected because it was easier to resequence a Skyhawk than a 737.

right after the twa hub moved, I remember touching down at Lambert:

STL: "Lear 4BF left 1st high speed"
Me: "4BF has no reversers"
STL: "TWA 123 heavy go around fly runway heading"
Left seater to me: "We just got back every TWA ticket we've ever bought or will buy"

Wow had no idea my post was going to cause such a response. So to clarify what happened the controller botched the sequencing and I certainly was not at fault or "dilly dallying."To be honest, where I fly out of KISP, Southwest gets the royal treatment and I'm certainly in no position as a Private Pilot to stand in their way, nor do I want to. Honestly, if I have to get out of the way from a plane full of paying customers for the safety of all involved, I'm more than happy to do so. I'd rather be safe and be told to go around 500ft from the runway then create an unsafe situation by landing and having to speed off the runway or create a go around for the 737, which I would imagine would scare the living poop out of the passengers.

I remember thinking at the time that it was not big deal, more time flying is fine with me.

Wow had no idea my post was going to cause such a response. So to clarify what happened the controller botched the sequencing and I certainly was not at fault or "dilly dallying."To be honest, where I fly out of KISP, Southwest gets the royal treatment and I'm certainly in no position as a Private Pilot to stand in their way, nor do I want to. Honestly, if I have to get out of the way from a plane full of paying customers for the safety of all involved, I'm more than happy to do so. I'd rather be safe and be told to go around 500ft from the runway then create an unsafe situation by landing and having to speed off the runway or create a go around for the 737, which I would imagine would scare the living poop out of the passengers.

I remember thinking at the time that it was not big deal, more time flying is fine with me.

ding ding ding.

Correct answer and correct attitude. It's not that the 737 is better than anyone. It's a function of what makes sense. It's a crud load more work for that 737 to go around than the 172.

Who knows? Maybe that SWA captain flies a 172 on his off time. I'm sure he wouldn't mide going around in the same situation.

Thanks for that jspilot.

Think about how this situation would come about at a controlled field, and you can see that it is a nearly impossible scenario.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, becuae it's happened to me TWICE, at the same airport, within the last 6 months.

Controllers are human, and they make mistakes.

Back in May I was number one for the option, and just about to make a left turn to base when the tower came on and cleared a plane for a right base, #1 to land. I immediately contacted the tower (who had realized his mistake) and the tower told the other plane to pull up, fly parallel and to the left of the runway and go around left pattern.
In August, the same thing happened. In this case the other plane was much bigger and faster. I opted out of the landing, giving way to the other plane, and I went around for another pass.

To err is human. How you cope with errors will determine how long you live in this racket.

Shep

Back