Trade Bonanza for Baron?

Tom Gresham

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom Gresham
Yes, I know. With the fuel prices, this seems backward. But . . . I'm considering going from my TN A36 back to a Baron. Either a Colemill (IO-550) B55 or a 58.

Should there be someone with a Baron considering going to a Bonanza . . . perhaps we should talk.

Tom,

With fuel prices you will probably get a good deal. I just hope they throw in a spare refinery for ya. ;) Good luck on the search!

There was a guy out here looking to trade an A55 for a BE35. IF you were only looking for the A55, I would have traded mine for the A55, then the A55 for your A36. :)

Yep, it's probably nuts. My TN A36 is a great plane. For the costs of the extra fuel, I can put in a new interior, MFD, and probably the new King 770.

But . . . those mountains, and those trees, and long stretches of 100-foot ceilings below me, and only one engine.

<sigh>

No. It's not nuts at all. If you can afford it then by all means do it. I wish I was still flying a Baron!!! :yes:

Tom:

You won't get the range you're used to with the 55; just not enough fuel. If you can run the 58 LOP you'd be fine there with the 190 gallon tanks. Same cabin as the A-36. The 55 would be more of a sports car. With the 550s you'd have more altitude choices; still not a turbo, but a lot of flexibility. Larry O. has a non-k-ice 58 but seldom can't fly. The 58 is more stable IMO.

Best of luck.

Dave

Tom,

I'll bet you'll get some takers....

If you don't need the load flexibility and club doors of the 58, the E probably make a better choice.... at bit cheaper, and a bit better performance, but not huge (lighter).

I'd suspect you'd want at least the 166 gallons, not available in the 55 unless you get Colemill's tips. With the 166 (and the 190s are better, yet), you can expect 900 nm IFR, green of peak. Or you can tanker cheap gas for shorter trips.

Back