Toyota is right about EVs after all...

I'll stick with our hybrid. Decent fuel "economy", a definite improvement over the range of anything else in the driveway. Now to figure out why the dealer orders all hybrids with hitch receiver. The Ford Escape hybrid is limited to a 1500 pound trailer, and a hitch receiver is a joke.

Bike racks.

Here's where it is: https://airbnb.com/h/casa-isa

I have 14kw in panels and 40kwh in batteries. I'm running lead acid batteries, because sometimes you have to buy what's available and understood by local suppliers and maintenance people. My electronics are from Outback Power.

Batteries are just awful. They are the single most expensive part of an off grid setup. They have a half life and need to be replaced. We have found a program from the federal government to bring power into rural areas, like ours, and have a meeting setup in two months. Hopefully we qualify for that and will get utility power sometime this year. If so, Mexico currently does net metering, which would mean that my panels will be able to bank tons of credits pushing power into the grid and the grid will act as a perfectly lossless battery.
This is the way: https://trophybattery.com/index.php/product/51-2v300e-3ul/

46kW/Victron charger and all peripherals minus cables for $20.6k

Dan is flat-out awesome to deal with and batteries have 10 year full replacement.

Plus your lithium batteries can be drawn down to a very low charge state compared to FLAs.

I'll stick with our hybrid. Decent fuel "economy", a definite improvement over the range of anything else in the driveway. Now to figure out why the dealer orders all hybrids with hitch receiver. The Ford Escape hybrid is limited to a 1500 pound trailer, and a hitch receiver is a joke.
You could still pull a 6x8 trailer with a riding lawn mower with it, or jet ski. Seems like what I'd typically see a crossover SUV towing (when I do see them with a trailer).

Near Tampa, so we got to see one in the flesh:

53549999839_2f650bf0bb_z.jpg

My imposing stature makes it seem small, but in the flesh it seems quite massive. Though I believe its overall dimensions are not far off from your typical pickup.

Sorry, but it reminds me of a bad 8th grade shop project.

Back