Toyota Head Rests for 182RG?

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Somewhere...and I can't recall where, I was told that the head rests from a Toyota will fit in the 'holes' provided for 182 headrests. Tried the ones from a 2011 Camry...close but no cigar. Can anyone provide insight as to what years/models might fit?

On a related note....anyone got the sheepskin seat covers that Spruce sells on their aircraft...like 'em? Other similar options?

Thanks!!

Jim

I bought my plane with the sheepskin covers already installed. Touted to be "cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter" sheepskin doesn't really work for Arizona. They must have absorbed all the sweat from the previous owner because they stunk up the whole plane and were no "cooler' than the crappy fabric seats that they covered. It was the first two things I took out of the plane.

2001 Toyota headrests fit my 1976 182P. Should have the same seats.....

Thanks, ytodd...will see if I can find some.

Hey, Tim.....did you ever try running them thru the washer? :) I see that as the advantage to seat covers rather than doing the seats in sheepskin.

Thanks!

Jim

Not a fan of the sheep skin, aside from the really expensive ones some pilatus have, all the Cessna ones just make the plane look cheap, don't help much in hot or cold, save your money for a hotrod shop upholstery job.

That's the circle we've gone thru, James. Got a quote on vinyl from a local shop, then thought of upgrading that to cloth (more expensive), then leather (even more, of course), then wondered about the sheepskin route.

My wife has sheepskins in her work Citation and loves 'em, but I'm sure, as you said, they were the expensive ones.

Jim

That's the circle we've gone thru, James. Got a quote on vinyl from a local shop, then thought of upgrading that to cloth (more expensive), then leather (even more, of course), then wondered about the sheepskin route.

My wife has sheepskins in her work Citation and loves 'em, but I'm sure, as you said, they were the expensive ones.

Jim

Ask on here for a good hot rod shop, and sources for materials.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Buy your own hydes and everything, if you're going to do it, do leather, nothing like a good leather job.

Nice interior, Greg!!! I see you're from Columbus....did someone local do it?

Jim

<whistles tunelessly while he reviews the 1998-2002 camrys he has in stock>

Been sorta' waiting for you, Mike! :) PM sent....

Jim

if you're going to do it, do leather, nothing like a good leather job.

it's funny how varied opinions on this are.

I absolutely hate leather; in planes, in cars, in everything. To me it's just expensive vinyl. Hot and sticky in the summer. Cold and clammy in the winter.

Give me a good quality set of breathable cloth seats any day. I find them to be far more comfortable. Everything I own has cloth.

Last edited:
I've a set of those wooden bead seat covers that I use in the summer (in SE USA).
Thousands of NYC cabbies can't be wrong.

They actually cool nicely and do seem to relieve pressure points on long trips.

headrest_net.jpg

1990 Camry head rests in my '76 182P. 4 of them for $50 from a junk yard in 2003. There was some minor alignment adjustments but fit like a glove.

Kevin

it's funny how varied opinions on this are.

I absolutely hate leather; in planes, in cars, in everything. To me it's just expensive vinyl. Hot and sticky in the summer. Cold and clammy in the winter.

Give me a good quality set of breathable cloth seats any day. I find them to be far more comfortable. Everything I own has cloth.

When I was working in the Middle East I "de-optioned" the leather seats for cloth, and also the (useless) sunroof on the all-white Toyota I ordered. Could never understand why people in that climate thought leather was so 'cool' when the ambient temps are above 100 F for 7-8 months of the year under relentless sunshine - especially the black-on-black Mercedes. :dunno:

My IA and I have agreed on the answer to that question....."Put WHAT in?" ;)

Your mileage may vary, of course!

Jim

If you intended to do a logbook entry and had to modify them at all, might even qualify under AC 20-62E as an owner-produced part....

<whistles tunelessly while he reviews the 1998-2002 camrys he has in stock>

42956639.jpg

No STC required. It is not a major modification.
You are right. It's an unapproved replacement part.
And modifying it does not make it an owner produced part.
Suggested reading AC20-62E 4.B
Bob

Last edited:
Nice interior, Greg!!! I see you're from Columbus....did someone local do it?
Jim
Yeah, me and a buddy! :) It's an Airtex interior with some upgrades for the head and armrests. Still going strong 5 years later.

You are right. It's an unapproved replacement part.
And modifying it does not make it an owner produced part.
Suggested reading AC20-62E 4.B
Bob

If anyone cares enough to really debate this, suggest also reading AC23-27 for another perspective....regarding older and hard to find parts. As I said, your mileage may vary.

Beautiful job on the interior Greg H....

Hey AggieMike....check your PM's :)

Jim

Even more to the point than the ACs or the literal words in 21.303(b)(2), read the FAA General Counsel's 3-page opinion which goes MUCH further than the reg or the ACs. MUCH further.

Jim

If anyone cares enough to really debate this, suggest also reading AC23-27 for another perspective....regarding older and hard to find parts. As I said, your mileage may vary.

... :)

Jim

I read it, read it again and if it wasn't so long I'd frame it and hang it in the hangar. :ihih:

Will check available inventory Monday.

Thanks, ytodd...will see if I can find some.

Hey, Tim.....did you ever try running them thru the washer? :) I see that as the advantage to seat covers rather than doing the seats in sheepskin.

Thanks!

Jim

The guy I gave them to put them in his washer. Looked as if he got seat covers made from a sheep with leprosy.

Even more to the point than the ACs or the literal words in 21.303(b)(2), read the FAA General Counsel's 3-page opinion which goes MUCH further than the reg or the ACs. MUCH further.

Jim

Jim where can that be found?

Here ya go, Tim. I think this is the one weirdjim was referring to. I just save all these PDF's to my computer for easy reference....

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/1991/bicks - (1991) legal interpretation.pdf

Jim

PS- It's kinda like Christmas, all the possibilities these docs open up :)

Nope, that one was written by a private attorney giving HIS interpretation of the section. THe one written by the FAA Chief Legal Counsel is about three or four pages long and the signature block at the end refers to the person's office as FAA-CLC. As I recall, it is also written on FAA stationery.

Jim

Back