Tower's closed. Is it E or G

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Most Class D's revert to Class G when the Tower is closed. Some revert to Class E. I can't find a logic behind which ones retain the Surface Area and which ones don't. Anyone know?

Most Class D's revert to Class G when the Tower is closed. Some revert to Class E. I can't find a logic behind which ones retain the Surface Area and which ones don't. Anyone know?

A surface area requires weather observations and radio communications down to the runway surface. If the tower provides either one of these the airspace must become Class G when the tower is closed. If both are available when the tower is closed then it may become Class E if deemed to be in the public interest. The most common item that qualifies is probably scheduled passenger operations.

A surface area requires weather observations and radio communications down to the runway surface. If the tower provides either one of these the airspace must become Class G when the tower is closed. If both are available when the tower is closed then it may become Class E if deemed to be in the public interest. The most common item that qualifies is probably scheduled passenger operations.

Of course. I was missing the obvious, weather reporting and communications. Slappin self upside the head.

Back