Tower Phone number

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
People have advised that it's a good thing to have the phone number of the Tower "cab" (?) at your local airport just in case you ever have a radio failure; the idea being you can call the tower with your cell phone to let them know of your situation.

Sounds like a good idea to me so I check the AFD for the number and it's not there! (KISP) Wouldn't you think it would be? So where do I get it?

(And why is it called "cab"?)

Have you looked in the telephone book, in the US Gov section under DoT/FAA? The airport manager's office should have it, too.

Or just ask clearance delivery or ground if they're not busy. That's how I've usually gotten the phone numbers. That or the phone book.

Yep, been there done that. A few years ago when we were still flying sailplanes out of Sun Valley I called ground control and requested clearance to position for take-off. We then positioned and the tow plane called for position and hook up and anounced our departure as was the normal procedure. I was only able to stay up for about 30 minutes and as I was approaching the airport I could hear the tower but they would not respond to my calls. I pulled out my cell phone called them and they gave me a clearance to land.

Since I was going back up we did a little trouble shooting and determined that the tower could hear me just fine on the ground frequency but could not hear me on the tower frequency. He could hear me just fine when he went to his backup radio. I seemed to be the only one he was having trouble hearing on his main radio. So he just advised me to call ground control when I needed to come back in and he would switch to his backup radio.

That was also the same day they told me I had to leave the fire generated thermal I was in at 15,000 ft because they were bringing in the fire bombers and were creating a TFR around the fire I was using. But that is another story.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

AC-U-KWIK to the rescue..
http://www.acukwik.com/airportinfo/KISP

KISP - Long Island Mac Arthur Airport Information
Located in Islip, NY United States : ICAO - KISP, IATA - ISP, FAA ID - ISP
Current UTC: 5:04:07 PM Lat/Long: N40-47.7/W073-06.0
Local Standard Time to UTC: -5, 1:04:07 PM Airport Light Intensity: HIGH
Daylight Savings Time: Yes Variation: 14W
Fuel Available: AVGAS JET Approaches: ILS GPS NDB
Elevation (ft): 99 Open 24 Hours: Yes
Max. hard surfaced runway (ft): 7006 x 150 Airport of Entry: Yes
Handling Mandatory: No Slots Required: No
Control Tower Phone: 631-585-7069 Control Tower Hours: 6A-11P

Sunrise: 7:45 AM Sunset: 6:28 PM

That was also the same day they told me I had to leave the fire generated thermal I was in at 15,000 ft because they were bringing in the fire bombers and were creating a TFR around the fire I was using. But that is another story.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

And it sounds like a great one, I kind of want to hear it! New thread?

AC-U-KWIK to the rescue..
http://www.acukwik.com/airportinfo/KISP

KISP - Long Island Mac Arthur Airport Information
Located in Islip, NY United States : ICAO - KISP, IATA - ISP, FAA ID - ISP
Current UTC: 5:04:07 PM Lat/Long: N40-47.7/W073-06.0
Local Standard Time to UTC: -5, 1:04:07 PM Airport Light Intensity: HIGH
Daylight Savings Time: Yes Variation: 14W
Fuel Available: AVGAS JET Approaches: ILS GPS NDB
Elevation (ft): 99 Open 24 Hours: Yes
Max. hard surfaced runway (ft): 7006 x 150 Airport of Entry: Yes
Handling Mandatory: No Slots Required: No
Control Tower Phone: 631-585-7069 Control Tower Hours: 6A-11P

Sunrise: 7:45 AM Sunset: 6:28 PM

Thanks! I didn't have that web site in my bookmarks. Good find!

Acu-Kwik, Cellular Pilot (if it's still around), and UVPlanner (Universal) are all good resources to find ATC telephone numbers if you can't find them in the A/FD or in the phone book.

Personally, I have the phone numbers for most of the towers where I fly in/out of, including my home 'drone. I also have 5 direct lines for each operational area of N90 (NY TRACON). It's definitely helpful in case you go NORDO.

Now thats a good idea! I had my first radio failure on my first solo cross country and it wasn`t nice!! Having the tower number or an extra radio would have been nice!

I've always just called FSS for the number.

Back