Tourettes syndrome

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Can a person who has been diagnosed with Tourettes get a 3rd class medical if they have no other comorbid diagnoses and seem to have the symptoms subside in their adulthood?

In short, yes. But that one gets decided by the Federal Psychiatrist, AAM 2 in Washington. That takes a LONG time.

Bruce, question for ya. I thought that Tourettes was a neurological disorder, if so why would a Psychiatrist be the one to make the call as opposed to a Neurologist?

It's on the borderline between the expertise of a neurologist and of a psych. But for eval we choose the psych to make sure there also isn't additional stuff going on.....a "Tourette's only" is not 100% of the flock.

I know it's not supposed to be funny, but I keep imagining a controller on the receiving end of a pilot who has Tourette's that exhibits itself via loud cursing ticks... that's going to be one very confused controller. Or angry. :)

of course you can dude, I know an AF pilot with almost 2k hours in an A-10 with TS, you have to ask yourself what is a "diagnosis,"; when you go in for your 3rd class medical they are not going to ask you if you have tourette's syndrome. If the disorder affects your ability to fly then you need to ground yourself right away, if not, answer the nice man's questions and carry on. dismissed.

As long as they use the phrase "I got the Focker in sight", regardless of what type of aircraft it called out...

Can't imagine someone with genuine Tourettes being that high functional. I can imagine a misdiagnosed individual to be, though.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, a former NBA player, and Tim Howard, the number one goal keeper for the United States Men's National team and starting keeper for Everton in the English Premier League have Tourette's. If professional athlete is not automatically inconsistent with Tourette's, then neither should pilot. But that's just my opinion.

Can a person who has been diagnosed with Tourettes get a 3rd class medical if they have no other comorbid diagnoses and seem to have the symptoms subside in their adulthood?

I know those who have without any problem at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back