Touch pad mouse/ Cursor problem

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I had some work done on my lap top ( Dell Inspiron 6000) and now the touch pad is driving me nuts. When I type as in this post the cursor will often jump back to somewhere I just typed and I'll have to reset it and retype. I think it may be from my thumb or knuckle hitting the touch pad. I could move the pointer off the screen so it doesnt happen but thats a pain. I want to disable the touch pad as a left click but can't figure out how. I went to control panel and then mouse but there is not touchpad only a ps2 mouse there. Anyone know how I can do this?

Have you tried these options?

http://support.dell.com/support/top...&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

Partial content:

Adjusting Touchpad Sensitivity

Touchpad performance is largely based upon human factors, which makes it difficult to quantify problems. Personal or environment factors such as skin type, temperature, and humidity can change the way touchpad performance is perceived.

People who use multiple touchpads from different vendors on a regular basis are more likely to notice subtle differences in performance.

Many adjustments are available for the Alps touchpad in the Mouse Properties, located in the Control Panel. These adjustments should be modified to meet each user’s specific needs

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and double-click Control Panel

Double-click on the Mouse icon to open the Mouse Properties.

Click the Touch Pad tab.

Ensure the Tap off when typing box is checked.

Click the Touch Sensitivity Button.

Adjust the sensitivity towards Low.

Click Apply.

Click OK.

Click OK.

Thats the thing Troy it only has a tab for PS2 compatible mouse but No tab for touch pad.

If you have another pointing device, you may just want to disable the thing. That's the first thing I do with laptops given me for work since they drive me batty.

A lot of touchpads have a "Disable while typing" option. Snoop around the mouse control panel for that.

--Carlos V.

BTW, its probably not your thumb, Adam, it is the palm of your right hand, about dead center. It usually drags across the keyboard or desk (or that fancy foamy gel thing that fancy people use), and on laptops without touchpads, usually you'll get little wear marks right where the touchpad would be.

Even setting sensitivity to low will only make it better, but you will, from time to time, accidentally hit it again. Sometimes you can disable the touchpad only when typing, but most often, you'll need to get a cheap little mouse, and just diable the touchpad period (I disable it in BIOS).

I used to have this problem on a Thinkpad. This thread made me wonder why I never have the problem on my Macbook Pro. I've been messing with it some and it seems that it somehow detects the palm of your hand. A touch of the finger works fine, a touch of the palm and the pointer doesn't move or click.

I really can't even get the mousepad to respond to anything that isn't intentional or completely unlikely to happen while you're typing. They must have put some real logic into this problem.

Back