Touch-and-Go versus Go-Around versus Rejected Landing

In general, I would say any landing that doesn't result in a full stop is a rejected landing whether you make that decision at 100 feet or after the wheels are on the ground.
Call it what you will, but the procedures should be different for what the FAA calls a "balked landing" (one initiated while you're still airborne) and a T&G (regardless of whether it's executed for training or for safety). In the T&G, the flaps should be selected to the takeoff position before you get airborne (usually before you add power) in order to eliminate the extra drag. In the balked landing, power must be added first to stop the descent, and the flaps raised in coordination with the rotation to the climb attitude. If the flaps are raised immediately, the change in wing curvature will reduce AOA (and lift), resulting in a major sink. Thus, in most light planes, I teach flaps-power-pitch for T&G, but for balked landing, I teach power up-pitch up-flaps up.

Call it what you will, but the procedures should be different for what the FAA calls a "balked landing" (one initiated while you're still airborne) and a T&G (regardless of whether it's executed for training or for safety).
I think what people are calling a "rejected landing" in this thread occurs when you are already on the ground and decide for whatever reason you want to take off again. As I mentioned in an earlier post (#11), I don't think there are too many instances where I would want to do this if I had already started braking. Peggy mentioned a bounce as a reason to reject a landing and that would be a good reason, but in that case, the pilot would not have started to brake.

I think what people are calling a "rejected landing" in this thread occurs when you are already on the ground and decide for whatever reason you want to take off again.
I was responding to silver-eagle's statement about calling it a "rejected landing whether you make that decision at 100 feet or after the wheels are on the ground." If you make the decision at 100 feet, you shouldn't touch the ground unless you're flying a wide-body jet transport, and to me, that's a balked, not rejected, landing (using the FAA's term there).
As I mentioned in an earlier post (#11), I don't think there are too many instances where I would want to do this if I had already started braking. Peggy mentioned a bounce as a reason to reject a landing and that would be a good reason, but in that case, the pilot would not have started to brake.
I agree. If you've already started braking, and you can't stop in the remaining runway, there's almost certainly not enough runway to take off again, and in that case, I'd rather go off the end at 20 knots than 60. Also, in a bounce, you're still in the air, and power comes first followed by flaps as you get the airplane pitched.

A couple of points.... Rule number 1 at some schools the students don't do Touch and Go's solo. See the discussion about the CFI that jumped on the radio during the students solo. Simply confusing.
Second point is rejected vs balked. Whether the wheels are on the ground or not, it is a go around/balked/rejected landing. Teach the student THAT; that is, the maneuvers he needs. A Touch and go is more than a time saver; it's a life saver.
You can refine it as training continues but DO NOT TEACH a touch and go as a time saver to start. It's part of the pilots toolbox for when he needs them.
Refine it later as experience increases. And I might suggest not until AFTER solo.

Back