"Total Time"

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
Reading ATP requirements as well as those of airlines they refer to TT. They also have more specific times but for total time I am a bit confused.

Have a minimum of 1500 total hours of flight time that includes: 500 hours cross-country flight time, 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument conditions, 100 hours night flight time.

So if I were applying for an ATP and I have the 500,75, and 100 times as well as having 200 hours in gliders,200 in balloons,200 in rotorcraft and 200~ in gyrocopters can I still apply? I thought that in theory I would be able to but my old CFI had 100hrs in rotorcraft and he said that did not count toward his total time.

Airline policy maybe? IIRC total time is simple, TT= All time in any aircraft (or simulator up to 100 hours...I think?)

I thought that when you take your checkride you simply must perform to the PTS for the aircraft you are testing in? Then again my logic may fail because what if I have 60hrs in rotorcraft and the rest of the 1440 in ASEL. Can't I in theory get a ATP for heli's?

I'm a bit confused here. I don't have a doctorate in law so the FAR's are still a bit confusing time to time.

(a) a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:

500 hours of cross-country flight time. (in all categories combined)
100 hours of night flight time. (in all categories combined)
75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions (in all categories) with no more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator or flight training device.
(removed part 142 simulator comments)
250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command with
100 hours of cross-country flight time (in an airplane)
25 hours of night flight time. (in an airplane)

I cut out a lot of the extraneous, but that's what you need.

If going for an airplane ATP: of the 1500, 250 must be PIC airplane with 100 XC PIC and 25 hours of night PIC
You can rack up the other 1250 in other aircrafts.

(my comments in parentheses)

Last edited:
Ed's covered the airplane side pretty well.

So if I were applying for an ATP and I have the 500,75, and 100 times as well as having 200 hours in gliders,200 in balloons,200 in rotorcraft and 200~ in gyrocopters can I still apply?
How much do you have total and in airplanes? If it's 1500 total and 250 PIC in airplanes, yes.

I thought that in theory I would be able to but my old CFI had 100hrs in rotorcraft and he said that did not count toward his total time.
Your old CFI is wrong.

Airline policy maybe?
Airlines have their own standards, but that's not relevant to applying for an FAA certificate or rating.

IIRC total time is simple, TT= All time in any aircraft
Correct.

(or simulator up to 100 hours...I think?)
Only if those 100 hours were obtained at a Part 142 training center. Otherwise, you can only apply sim time to the instrument requirements, not the 1500 total flight time requirement.

I thought that when you take your checkride you simply must perform to the PTS for the aircraft you are testing in?
Yes, but you can't take the ride until you meet the experience requirements.

Then again my logic may fail because what if I have 60hrs in rotorcraft and the rest of the 1440 in ASEL. Can't I in theory get a ATP for heli's?
Not yet. If you go into 61.161 on ATP-RH (as opposed to 61.159 for ATP-Airplane, quoted by Ed above), you'll see that for ATP-RH, you need "200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof," and you've only got 60 in helos.

Back