Topic for research paper: Int'l Intellectual Property

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
This semester I am enrolled in an Int'l IP seminar that I have to write a research paper for by the end of the semester. From my other thread I know most folks here don't care much for the boring IP stuff, but I always like the ideas generated here.

Our topic can be pretty much anything to do with international IP. I am most interested in the patent side of things so something along the lines of the patentability of business methods and computer software; this one seemed kinda cool because of the issues with flight prep and their lawsuits.

Another example could also be on enforcement; what do we do with China stealing our technology?

So, anyone have any fun ideas having to do with international IP?

I think we should create technology that fails in insidious ways, and wait for China to steal it. When it causes all sorts of problems, we can say "but that was BETA, and you weren't licensed for it, so we're not liable for damages".

Well since you posted to a aviation board might I suggest investigate IP as it applies to small aircraft design. What effect will the Cirrus purchase have on IP since they bought the company vice just swiping the design details.

Every line of code or piece of music has been written before. That's pretty much all one needs to know about IP.

Oh, and how much it'll cost to hire a lawyer to fight an IP claim so you can price said software or media accordingly.

Well you could reasearch the big IP battle that some of the free internet flight planning programs went through with Golden Eagle.

Well you could reasearch the big IP battle that some of the free internet flight planning programs went through with Golden Eagle.

That's it, Golden Eagle. I couldn't think of it earlier when I said Flight Prep. I'm thinking about it; it seems like it could be pretty interesting.

This semester I am enrolled in an Int'l IP seminar that I have to write a research paper for by the end of the semester. From my other thread I know most folks here don't care much for the boring IP stuff, but I always like the ideas generated here.

Our topic can be pretty much anything to do with international IP. I am most interested in the patent side of things so something along the lines of the patentability of business methods and computer software; this one seemed kinda cool because of the issues with flight prep and their lawsuits.

Another example could also be on enforcement; what do we do with China stealing our technology?

So, anyone have any fun ideas having to do with international IP?
Let me suggest you contact John Soma at the University of Denver Law School.

As for dealing with China and such - this issue has been on the Dept of Commerce table for 20 years or more with little or no resolution. The general public doesn't "get it" because they've been copying off broadcast & other media (VCR,CD,mp3, etc) for decades. Go read about Sony & The Video Tapes or Kinko's.

As a federal attorney who specialized in this field comment to me, "do you really think we could find a jury of 12 people who have NEVER recorded a tv show?"

BTW copyright & IP was written into the Constitution long before the Bill of Rights (thanks to the English King). If you look closely, it can be a criminal charge but I don't think it's ever been enforced other than civil.

Had I finished law school (got incredibly bored) IP was going to be my specialty. Law is fun. Law School is the pits. And I despised memorization. Afterall, that's why reference manuals were invented.

Last edited:
Had I finished law school (got incredibly bored) IP was going to be my specialty. Law is fun. Law School is the pits. And I despised memorization. Afterall, that's why reference manuals were invented.

Absolutely

Back