Top Gear car vs airplane - race #1

Those guys are nuts in a real good way!

You're right on top of things! This was from 2008. They mess with aircraft regularly. Google the Reliant Robin space ship.

Oh, and look at the runway numbering scheme at 2.48 and 49. Then check it at 2.50. Hmmmmmm, interesting.

Looks like he made the whole trip with flaps: 10.

Last edited:
I like Top Gear, but that is a bull **** test.
You take the best car you can find and race it against an average GA plane? At least find a plane that costs as much as that car. Then get a pilot who is as proficient at flying as the guy is proficient at driving the car, May is obviously a newby pilot while Clarkson has been driving all his life. May would have won if he would have been allowed to fly at night.

This is a much more fair test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X9A2efA

Last edited:
One of the most entertaining shows on television. If you look through their past episodes you'll see they do a lot of shows involving aircraft. Their show studio and race track is on an old military airfield in the UK.

I like Top Gear, but that is a bull **** test.

:rofl:

Of course it was. It's Top Gear!

What I want to know is what kind of car the camera crew drives - obviously it is faster than the Bugatti because they can film the car as it drives by, pack up, get well ahead, set up the cameras, and be ready when the car comes by again.

What I want to know is what kind of car the camera crew drives - obviously it is faster than the Bugatti because they can film the car as it drives by, pack up, get well ahead, set up the cameras, and be ready when the car comes by again.

Range rovers

A lot of their footage uses helicopters. Sometimes you can see the rotors on the edge of the frame and you can see them in the in-car shots. Notice a lot are also driveby shots, their primary camera vehicles are Range Rovers which can't keep up with most of the stuff they shoot.

When you see them leave off somewhere and then "catch-up" to them later they are separate shoots that are edited together.

Back